Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time in Venice _ Need Help!! - Ever been to Lido?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 07:37 PM
Les

I will be Venice the second week of October. I have never been before. I will be arriving by train and need help in understanding the water transpertation to my hotel on Lido. I understand where the train station is and that I need to get water transportation to Lido, I don't however understand which water taxi / or water transportation number to take. Has anyone gone to Lido from the train station? How about from Lido to the Airport to get a 7AM flight!!!! Boy do I need HELP!!! Thanks

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 03:51 AM
elaine

Hi Les <BR>Take a deep breath and calm down, Venice is wonderful. I had the same anxieties a year ago before I went, and as one of my sensible friends said to me, "You can't be the single stupidest person who ever went to Venice, so you'll figure it out." <BR>First, best advice about getting to your hotel is obtained from your hotel. They answer this question alll the time. My hotel faxed me a form with all the transportation options on it, including boat numbers and the names of the stops. <BR>Directly in front of the train station <BR>are several embarkation points for vaporetto lines. Lots of people will be milling about, but if you approach one of the ticket windows there will be a man there to ask which is the correct boat. <BR> <BR>Here is more information from my files: <BR> http://goeurope.miningco.com/library/venice and go to the article on Venice airport boat <BR>more info: <BR> <BR>Venice web sites <BR>www.veniceairport.it/ <BR>www.veniceinfo.it/ includes info on transportation <BR>www.actv.it/inglese/preservizi.htm/ transportation in Venice <BR>www.doge.it/ <BR>www.elmoro.com/ <BR>www.veniceworld.com/ <BR>www.conune.venezia.it/ <BR>Fodor's poster Joe L has an excellent website that explains <BR> the Venetian street "plan". You can go to <BR>www.initaly.com/regions/veneto/ <BR>ovensty.htm. <BR> <BR>If you need anything else, ask. I was there first week in October last year. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 05:27 AM
Dona

Les, <BR> <BR>What good advice Elaine gave you! <BR> <BR>First of all - yes, calm down! You're in for a real treat... Arriving in Venice at the train station is one of those "breath-taking" moments. Make sure you keep breathing - and take it all in... <BR> <BR>I'm sure that the websites Elaine provided will be able to help you and, as she said, the hotel will provide information. <BR> <BR>On one of my trips to Venice I stayed on Lido and getting to the airport was no problem - and on another, I had to take a 7 am flight. In fact, even though getting up that early was a bit of a stretch, taking a water taxi when Venice is sleeping was very exciting - the worse part was leaving that wonderful city... <BR> <BR>Enjoy it!

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 06:48 AM
Paulo

In Venice, unless you've a loaded wallet to pay for water taxis, you'll be using the vaporetto as your means of transportation. The ticket for a single vaporetto trip is Lit 6,000. A 10 ticket carnet costs Lit 50,000. There are also passes for 1 (Lit 18,000), 3 (Lit 35,000) and 7 days (Lit 60,000). If you're staying 2 or 3 days, for sure the 3-day pass is more economic. <BR> <BR>When you arrive at Sta. Lucia train station, just step outside the main entrance to the vaporetto stop in front, buy and validate your PASS and take the vaporetto. <BR>If you're not in a hurry, you may take vaporetto #1 (the bigger ones) that arrives from your right. This stops just about everywhere and gives you a better opportunity to view the Canal Grande. The journey should take about 53 minutes. There are boats every 10 minutes, at the hour +06, 16, etc. <BR>If you want to reach your hotel on a faster journey, take the vaporetto #82 instead (also the one that arrives from your right). This makes fewer stops and reaches the Lido in 42 minutes (also along Canal Grande). Boats run every 20 minutes, at the hour + 03, 23 and 43 minutes. <BR>Vaporettos #51 and 52 may also be used. These don't go along the Canal Grande. #51 (arrives from your left) goes along the Giudecca Canal, the journey takes 38 minutes and boats run every 20 minutes (hour +4, etc). #52 (arrives from your right) goes along the Fondamenta Nuove Canal, the journey takes 42 minutes and boats run every 20 minutes (hour +10, etc). <BR>Regarding your journey to the Airport, you should take the Alilaguna boat service early in the morning. Your pass doesn't cover it. The single fare costs Lit 17.000. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 07:09 AM
Phil

The last time I went to Venice, I stayed at a hotel on Lido, but I had a car. A booth (tourist?) on the road to Venice called ahead and made our reservations. Took the ferry, no problem, the only complaint was having to cross the canal whenever we wanted to stroll around Venice/San Marco. Going back in September, still with car, but this time I want to stay on San Marco, so we will have the freedom to wander without the need of having to ferry across each time. What's the best place to leave the car, and how to get to San Marco. Are these booths still there and if not, how best to get a room? Can't reserve ahead, since we'll be winging it and won't know what day we'll arrive.

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 07:26 AM
Byrd

Is there any problem with taking luggage on the vaporetto? <BR>

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 07:29 AM
Beth

Phil, don't know when in September you are going, but keep in mind the Biennale is there, the Venice Film festival runs 9/1-9/11, and the Venice historic gondola regatta is 9/5. My guess is you will have a difficult time finding any sort of room in San Marco area last minute. maybe if you are going later in September it will be better.

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 09:54 AM
elaine

Byrd, the vaporetto may be crowded, but they didn't object to my luggage, and they must be used to it with passengers who embark at the train station or airport. By the way, you may or not get a seat for your ride, but standing and looking at the Grand Canal was indeed something to remember. Keep your camera out. <BR>

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 10:48 AM
Bill

Paulo is right on the money. When you get out of the train station you will see the Grand canal in front of you. Simply go down the stairs to the edge of the canal and then just a few yards on your right will be the water bus station. I recommend buying a bus pass, you will more than get your money's worth with the convinience it provides. You'll be surprised how many trips you will make up and down the grand canal just for the spectacular views of this beautiful city. I recommend using buses #1 and #82 since these will take you up/down the Grand canal. You will love staying on Lido island, it is a beautiful place where it appears that the locals actually live. I stayed in Venice itself, and even thought it was nice, it did not have the residential feel that the Lido did. As for luggage, like Elaine says there's no problem with bringing it onto the water bus.

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 08:56 PM
David

After visiting this forum for the last 6 months I have one opinion that I doubt anyone would disagree with...when it comes to Italy, PAulo is always right! Thanks for the great information.

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 12:06 PM
Paulo

You may keep your hand luggage with you, Byrd, (seated or standing) but you'll have to leave suitcases in a rack by the boarding gate. Technically they could charge you (don't know how much) for each piece of heavy luggage (or maybe only the 2nd piece) ... so don't be surprised if they do! But as Elaine says, they appear not to bother with this detail <BR> <BR>David ... don't put too much responsability on my shoulders Here and there people do correct me and I'm glad being able not to repeat mistakes <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 01:02 PM
Gary

We got back from Italy a few weeks ago, and spent a wonderful 4 days in Venice. Absolutely magnificent. As to arriving at the train station, my family of 5 did just that, and while we weren't going to the Lido, we used the bus (vapparetto) with lots of luggage. Not the easiest thing we've ever done (it was crowded), but really an experience and not a problem. We did get a taxi back to the airport, and it was expensive (like $70), but it seemed the best way to be sure of not having a problem. Hotel highly recommended it, too. <BR>

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 01:23 PM
Walter

David: Also sing my praises, for I was the one who bringeth Paulo to this Forum). Last winter I was posting on rec.travel.europe for info on my trip to Greece and Paulo answered my posts and also e-mailed very *detailed* info. It's the detail and helpfulness that makes his posts so valuable. Anyway I e-mailed him about this site last winter and I'm glad he came over. Careful Paulo you're starting to get a cult following). Regards, Walter <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 08:38 PM
Les

Thank you all for your responses- all of this information is very valuable...actually Paulo, you are a God send....I have taken some deep breaths, taken all of your advice, did some reading and feel soooooooo much better. I am getting excited about my trip to Venice (Lido) - this will be after a 10 day curise in the Med. I will fly into Milan and tour Northern Italy for 4 days, take the curise for 10 then head to Venice (and get to Lido) for another 4 days. Wish me Luck! Thanks again everyone