Reload this Page >

First time in Paris-HELP!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Aparna

Hi, <BR> <BR>I'm a 26 year old married and we want to go to Paris in March for about 4-days. This will be the first time going to a country/city that neither of us came from. Okay, you guessed it, we dont' travel much. But, would like to get into it. Thought that Paris is a good start. <BR> <BR>Neither of us speak or understand a word of French. <BR> <BR>Is this a bad decision? Do you think we should put it off until after we get more experience travelling more in "english" speaking cities? NOt that France doesn't have anybody speaking in english, but I wouldn't even recognize names of food, if they are not described in English. <BR> <BR>Also, what do you recommend we see? Not TOO MUCH into museums though. <BR> <BR>Please help! <BR> <BR>aparna

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 10:11 AM
elvira

Big deep breath, let it out slowly, and relax. You can do this. <BR> <BR>As a first time visitor to Paris, you'll spend your 4 days in tourist areas, and the majority of store clerks, waiters and hotel staff speak English. Learn a couple of polite phrases for good morning, thank you, please and always ask "do you speak English" before blurting out a torrent of English. <BR>In four days, not a heavy museum tour, I would suggest a morning in the Louvre (you can get maps in the reception area, or many guidebooks have maps as well), lunch nearby, then a Seine cruise, stroll along the Left Bank, Eiffel Tower at night. Take an early morning train to Versailles and be there for the opening; eat in Versailles city, return to Paris for a little shopping. Another morning, visit Notre Dame and climb a tower if open. Visit the Deportation Memorial, then wander around the Ile de la Cite, cross over to the Ile St Louis, then over to the Hotel de Ville - it's pretty spectacular outside and inside, and there's often a special exhibit of art or photographs. Attend a concert at St Chapelle that evening. One morning, go to Pere Lachaise and buy a map of the gravesites (you'll spend at least 2 hours, more like three, visiting all the famous dead people and enjoying the quiet); eat lunch at a North African restaurant, then head for the chateau de Vincennes or the Edith Piaf Museum. If it's Thursday night, duck into the Musee d'Orsay for an hour or two. Treat yourself to a fancy meal at an upscale restaurant.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 11:19 AM
Thyra

Aparna, congratulations! Everyone has to start somewhere and Paris is the greatest city on earth IMO! I think, as Elvira says you won't have much difficulty finding people who speak English, but I always find that buying one of those inexpensive little "French for Traveller's tapes" is a great idea. The locals are generally very appreciative if you try a word or two just to be polite. As far as menues go, many tourist class cafes and restaurants have the different items then desriptions of those items in several languages other then French (usually English and German). <BR>Something else you may find useful is to check out a video or get a novel that goes into the history of France,(if you are unfamiliar with it) Phantom of the Opera is wonderful, both silent movie version and book, Les Miserables, and several wonderful French films with sub-titles like Cyrano De Bergerac or even 3 Musketeers, Tale of Two Cities, to help you get into a French groove. <BR>The more you know about the history of Paris the easier it is to prioritize what you want to see. <BR>Example: If the French Revolution interests you, spend a day at Versailes, if you like rock and roll, go to Pere Lachaise (Spelling?) and check out Jim Morrison's grave (with many other notables) <BR>A good guide book, or preferably 2 also lays the ground work for a wonderful trip, as well as providing invaluable information on currency, hotels etc. <BR> <BR>Paris is a wonderfully easy city to navigate on foot and via the Metro (subway). <BR> <BR>My husband and I are not really into museums either, so our favorite pastimes are am jog through Luxembourg gardens, stroll the city, spend long lunch at any sidewalk cafe, shamelessly people watching, maybe see a caberet act or jazz act in the evening followed by light dinner and some drinks! <BR> <BR>The most important advise you can get is PACK LIGHTLY!!! And to keep your mind Open WIDE!! If you can't find restaurant A.. don't worry you may stumble upon the greatest unknown cafe in Paris by mistake. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful time!

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Lexma90

Aparna - <BR> <BR>If you have a chance to visit the City of Light, do it! Many Parisiens speak at least some English, and if you're polite about it, they'll be happy to help you in English. As the other poster mentioned, learn the "polite words;" they'll take you far. In shops, you'll be greeted with "Bonjour madame, Bonjour, monsieur." Answer back the same way, they'll appreciate it. I like to listen to language tapes (over and over) on my way to work before my trips; it really helps me, even if all I can say is a few phrases. <BR> <BR>You said you couldn't read a French menu - I think you'd surprise yourself. Many of our "food" words come from French. Look for a tiny book called the "Menumaster" for France. It has translations for thousands of French foods, grouped by course. It's small enough to take it everywhere. And of course, at the more touristy restaurants, they'll have English menus anyway. <BR> <BR>Another recommendation - take the Bateau Mouche boats that go up and down the Seine, at night (do not take a dinner cruise, though). It's an absolutely beautiful way to see the City, especially the Eiffel Tower all lit up. Spend some time people-watching at outdoor cafes; they're all over the city. <BR> <BR>Bon voyage!

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Steve

Just returned from our first trip to Paris. I agree with the recommendation to go. Paris is a great walking city, very flat. But use the Metro (subway) for longer distances. Its easy to navigate. Buy 10 ticket packs or a multi day pass to save on the fare.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 03:17 PM
carol

My husband and I went to Paris in Sept. We don't speak French We had the GREATEST time.The people were great we travled the metro go for it

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 08:04 PM
JFH

Only 4 days in Paris - don't spend it in museums.If you must go to one - Musee d'Orsay (be sure to see the art deco furniture there). Avoid the Louvre, you could get lost in there and not find your way out in 4 days. If you are arriving on a Monday, get a Carte Orange, which will require a little passport type picture, but allows you to ride all Metro and buses in certain zones (depending on price). If you really want to see the city cheaply, use the buses - even if you only learn one or two routes, you'll see more than you would underground. For about 45FF you can get "Le Petit Parisien" at any bookstore (e.g., basement of Galeries Lafayette). This booklet contains maps of all arrondissements, metro routes, and bus routes. See the market streets like Rue Mouffetard and Rue Cler, the moving markets and the covered markets. Any really good guide book should tell you where to see some of them. Don't worry about your inability to speak French - in restaurants or hotels soembody speaks English. In stores, take a little writing pad and a ballpoint pen. If the salesperson does not speak English, get them to write the amount of francs on the pad (watch out for the numeral "one"). We have been to Paris six (or seven) times and we are going again in April and we have never had much trouble not knowing any French. As for food names, as suggested above, get a booklet which translates terms (the glossary in the back of Food Lover's Guide to Paris is excellent). My biggest problem with menus is not the language, but the handwriting - the French do it differently! All restaurants post menus outside, so you can do some of your translating before you go in (if it is not too cold or wet), but don't worry - it's hard to get a really bad meal in Paris. Have a ball.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 08:19 PM
Diane

As much as I love Paris, and I do love it, I'd recommend you start with a more English-friendly country like England. London is different enough that you'll know you're in another country, but easy enough to break into the travel mode gently.