First time in Paris

Oct 28th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

First time in Paris

My husband and I will be in Paris for the first time over the New Year. Our stay is 10 days and I am wondering if it's better to rent an apartment or stay in a hotel. Also, what area of Paris would you recommend? Thanks!
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:05 PM

Use the search function to see many threads that will help you make your decision. Your question is one that has been discussed many times and there is lots of good information available.

I like apt. rentals for all vacations including Paris but some like the concierge services of a hotel. You can get a much larger condo for the same price as a small hotel room and I like being able to have breakfast "at home" for convenience and to save money.

Which arrondisement you choose for a base should be determined by your interests and again there are lots of posts that you can dig up to find out about the various areas.

I'm so jealous! Ten full days in paradise!
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:36 PM

We just returned from a week in Paris at the Pont Royal in the 7th. We;ve been to Paris several times before.. but we still appreciated the information the concierge gave us about the neighborhood. Friends of ours who speak French have had a nice stay in an apt. on the Ile (behind Notre Dame). If I were you I would go for the hotel...primarily as in info. source. Next time you can rent the apt! (And once you've been to Paris there'll be a next time -
Oct 30th, 2005, 09:54 AM

Especially for a 1st trip I prefer a hotel because I make generous use of the services and help of the people at the front desk.

I would recommend a central arrondisement say somewhere in the 4th thru the 7th.
Oct 30th, 2005, 04:57 PM

I'm a first timer in Paris and have an apartment, but not a first time Europe traveler. Do you want to cook, need a kitchen? That's the deciding factor I think.
Oct 30th, 2005, 05:13 PM

I know an apartment is cheaper but I clean, cook every day and don't want to on vacation. I'm going without my small luxuries at home to make my 2 weeks possible.
Oct 31st, 2005, 07:20 AM

That whole "an apartment is cheaper" is a very relative statement. I doubt anything but the most basic tiny studio would be cheaper than the hotel we've been staying in. And I don't want to cook at home, much less on vacation. Don't want to get up and go fetch breakfast, either - that isn't 'convenient' to me at all.

I do think an apartment is a good option for families who are staying a while, or who need to allow periodic rest/nap times during the day.