First time in Italy, itinerary help!

Feb 2nd, 2010, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

First time in Italy, itinerary help!

My friend and I are going to Italy for 9 days, looking at this (tentative) itinerary, flying into Milan:

Milan - March 7-9
Venice - March 9-11
Rome - March 11-16

Does this look like enough time in each city?

Also any recommendations for day trips to make outside Rome to get a feel for the Italian countryside?

We're looking to spend around $150/night for hotels - what are the best areas to stay in each place? I really want to stay somewhere in Rome that is walkable to all the main sites. Specific hotel recommendations would be great too. A delicious breakfast included would be a plus!

Thank you!
Feb 2nd, 2010, 05:44 AM

Are you flying into Milan and out of Rome? That will save much time.

For a first trip, I think your number of days will be enough to catch great sights. People will ask why you don't include Florence but I don't think you have enough time for this trip.

As for hotels, do a search for 'hotels in rome' on this forum and also go to Trip Advisor-hotels are mapped so you can see where they are located.

Rome day trips: Orvieto, Pompeii, Tivoli. You will find plenty to occupy your time in Rome however!
Feb 2nd, 2010, 06:34 AM
ira

Hi N,

What draws you to Milan for 2 nights?
From whence are you planning to depart?

Rome is worth a week - or so I am told.

It it were me, with only 9 nights, I would visit Venice (4 nights) and Florence (5 nights) with a side trip to Siena and a side trip to Orvieto, and save Rome for anther visit.

You can fly into/out of Venice, Milan. Florence, Pisa.

If you are looking for budget accommodations, I can highly recommend http://www.bedinflorence.it/ in Florence.

Enjoy your visit.

Feb 2nd, 2010, 07:12 AM

I don't know if you have been to Italy before but it you have not then I would hit the big 3.
2 nights in Venice 4 nights in Florence 3 nights in Rome

Venice: you can stay almost anywhere as it is an easy walking/water bus city and March is a great month to go.

Florence: stay by the Duomo. This place has rave reviews and it is only 80 euros http://www.hotelcasci.com . From Florence, day trip to Siena so you can see some of the most beautiful countryside in Italy.

Rome: Two of the best locations are the Fiori district or by Piazza Navona. The locations are central and you should find good prices. Slowtrav.com has a bunch of listings. I would not day trip out of Rome because there is so much to do in the city and the countryside is prettier by Florence.
Feb 2nd, 2010, 07:16 AM

I would cut a night off of Milan and add it to Venice, or spend a night in one of the smaller hill towns between Venice and Rome.

In Rome, stay in the hisoric center, in the areas near Navona/Pantheon/Fiori.
Feb 2nd, 2010, 08:43 AM

You only have one full-day each for Milan and Venice. I think that part of your plans needs some scrutiny.

Unless you have a 'gotta' reason to go to Milan, then I would
A) Find a way to get two more days off, or
B) Fly direct to Venice and scrap Milan.

For budget accomadations in Rome, the catholic church runs a lodging called Instituto Santa Juliano de Falconeri. About two hundred feet off of Piazza Navona. There is a curfew and it is bathroom down the hall but outside of that it can't be beat and books up quickly.
Feb 2nd, 2010, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips everybody!

The best flight I could find went into Milan, so I fly into Milan and out of Rome. I didn't think there was enough time for Florence...

I really like MFNYC's idea to spend a night somewhere in between Venice & Rome. Any ideas for cute picturesque places to stay in to get a taste of the countryside?

So now I'm thinking:

March 7-8: Milan
March 8-10: Venice
March 10-11: Somewhere in between Venice & Rome
March 11-16: Rome

I fly into Milan at 7 PM - I'm flying from Tokyo so I'll definitely be dead tired - but do you think it's too hard to go straight from MXP airport to Venice, and skip staying in Milan altogether?
Feb 2nd, 2010, 03:37 PM

Hi,

If you do not want to go to Milan then fly into Venice and out of Rome.

Yipper
Feb 2nd, 2010, 03:48 PM

Some places in between are Sienna, San Gimignano and Orvieto. Orvieto is closest to Rome.
Feb 2nd, 2010, 05:10 PM

Sometime for the sake of planning, it is better to think about number of nights rather than dates. It will make more clear the amount of time you actually have in each place.

Your plan as I understand it:

March 7: arrive Milan; sleep in Milan
March 8: depart Milan; arrive Venice; sleep in Venice
March 9: Venice
March 10: depart Venice; sleep somewhere in between Venice & Rome
March 11: depart "somewhere:; arrive Rome; sleep in Rome
March 12: Rome
March 13: Rome
March 14: Rome
March 15: Rome
March 16: depart Rome

So you have 1 night in Milan, 2 nights in Venice, 1 night in somewhere, and 5 nights in Rome. Personally I'd head straight to Venice on arrival. You'll be dead tired anyway, so just get on a train and relax for another three hours--otherwise you'll have only one full day in Venice.

I agree that Orvieto would be an easy overnight with plenty of cute that is right on the train line between Venice and Rome.
Feb 2nd, 2010, 05:59 PM

9 days isn't enough to see it all. I'd overnight in Milan, and then spend 3nights in Venice or 3 nights in Florence, and the rest in Rome. There are "florence" people and "venice" people. People seem to prefer one over the other. You won't know what you are until you see them both. However with limited time I wouldn't try to see them both. You could easily spend your whole trip in Rome and do day trips from there.
Feb 2nd, 2010, 06:10 PM

"Somewhere between Venice and Rome" is not Florence?

"Cute places" -- like those castle towns where people used to smash each other's head to a bloody pulp because of popes or wine or who gets the virgin? LOL!

Orvieto is now talked about as "cute"?

Actually, I think your biggest problem is going to be getting a "delicious breakfast" in Italy. Like, it's not Belgium.

Has anyone told you there is fantastic shopping right outside Florence (Firenze)?
Feb 2nd, 2010, 06:54 PM

If you will arrive early enough in Milan, then I agree about going directly to Venice and skipping Milan entirely.

A train from Venice to Rome will stop in Florence anyway, so why not stop there for a night?
Feb 2nd, 2010, 07:04 PM

Poor Milan!

And poor OP!

I'd be really tired. When does the poster get to sleep? She's arriving at 7pm. It will take her an hour to get to Milano train station. She will have to wait for a train and arrive in Venice at something like 10pm and drag her luggage over bridges?

Me? I'd want to sleep.

Niomi,

You can go to Lago Maggiore to sleep and keep within your hotel budget. It's only 50 minutes north of Malpensa.
Feb 2nd, 2010, 07:39 PM

Yeah, I didn't see the 7PM - I didn't read every word posted in this thread...
Feb 2nd, 2010, 08:00 PM

oops! missed the 7pm . . . heading straight to Venice may not be the best option at that hour.
Feb 2nd, 2010, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I'll look into all the locations you've suggested.

I don't think it's do-able to do Florence so I am just going to stick to Milan -> Venice -> random place -> Rome... I'll look into train schedules too to see if it might be possible to get to Venice as soon as I get into Milan on the 7th... otherwise I am thinking maybe a half-day of sightseeing in Milan before going to Venice the next day.

I really want to sample good food on this trip so I may be asking more questions in the future! Thank you!
Feb 3rd, 2010, 12:46 AM

The Duomo in Milan is outstanding (3rd largest in the world???). La Scala has interesting tour if you are into opera. Shop at Galleria V. Emanuelle (sp?) and see in advance, online, about tickets to see "The Last Supper".

This could fill a day and give you some down time after the trip.

My opinion only-just go straight to Rome from Venice and do a sweet day trip from there. Every time you stop to spend the night somewhere, you lose precious time.
Feb 3rd, 2010, 06:09 AM

We will be in Rome on the same days! Perhaps we'll bump into each other.

I agree with the others who've suggested Orvieto as a stop between Venice and Rome.
Feb 3rd, 2010, 01:14 PM

If you must stop over, Florence or Orvieto is perfect, because they are on the train line from Venice. I would not, on this trip. Every time you move you lose at least half a day of sight-seeing time with checkout, travel, checkin, etc. Add that night to Venice so you can see more -- and with three nights you could rent an apt there, too. Then go straight to Rome.

When you get to Rome, stay in an apartment. You have several nights there, and you can have more space and better prices in an apartment. Look at sleepinitaly.com or vrbo.com for some places to stay. you can save some money by eating breakfast in, and maybe a light supper or two. We have had good luck with both. (vrbo means vacation rentals by owner). look for apt.s in the Piazza Navona, or Trastevere areas. (Trastevere is across the river from the main sights but walkable it you are close to the river.)

You can do a day trip to Orvieto by train from Rome (1 hour) if you want to see a nice little hill town. I love Orvieto, but I would favor staying overnight in as few places as possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO