First time in Italy

Search

First time in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time in Italy

We are planning a trip to Italy either in late March (week before & after easter) or in late June. Any suggestions about which would be best? We definitely want to spend a full week in Tuscany for the "settled in" experience. I'm thinking a 3 day stay and a 4 day stay in other cities before going there, rather than trying to see everything. Any suggestions about prioritizing, as well as realistic travel times would be appreciated. Rome and Venice?
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 12:36 AM

The months vary in terms of weather: March will be a bit cold and blustery (but not unbearable), whereas late June will be more crowded and hot. Late March would be nicer because not that many tourists and you might get a better sense of Italy at that time. However, you can't go wrong with whichever time you decide - Italy is such a wonderful country any time.

Dependent on what you decide, you could go north to south (or vice versa). Fly into Venice, spend a few days there, then take the train down to Tuscany for your one week stay. One of my favorite places is Lucca, it's close to Florence and not as touristed as its more crowded neighbor. From Lucca you can take the train on little day trips all around the area (do go to Florence). Then head south to Rome for the remainder of your trip, and fly out of Rome too.

Check www.trenitalia.com for Italian train information on departure times, distances, etc. Type in the two city pairs you want (i.e. Venice to Lucca) and it will pull up several pages with options. I always recommend printing out the schedule you prefer and bringing it with you to show the attendant at the ticket window (if you don't speak Italian - it makes it a bit easier). Good luck planning and have a wonderful trip next year.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 03:55 AM
ira

Hi Natalie,

You could fly into Venice and out of Rome or VV with a week in Tuscany.

You could do a week in Tuscany and a week on the Amalfi Coast if you fly into Venice or Florence or Pisa and out of Naples or VV. (Although late March is a bt early)
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 04:16 AM

Late March is a bit early for the Tuscany "settled in" experience. The weather may be warm in June but that would be my choice. The markets will be full of wonderful things, the days will be long and the flowers blooming. The earlier you go in June, the less crowded it will be. Rome and Venice would be nice; we would prefer Florence and Venice. Whatever you decide, it will be a wonderful experience!
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Since it is your first time to Italy, I'm sure you will want to see some of the biggies (Rome, Venice, Florence), but my favorite areas in Italy are along the coast: Cinque Terre and Amalfi Coast, for example.

Like Huitres said, you could do Florence on a day-trip from Tuscany and perhaps fly into Rome and out of Venice with 4 days in Rome and 3 in Venice.

I'm with the rest of the group: June would be ideal for weather, but March is great for crowd-control.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 09:58 AM

We were in Florence this past March. The weather was fine. A little chilly at times but a sweater or jacket would work fine. The bonus was definitely the lack of crowds. We were able to walk right into things that would normally have a long line, such as certain museums. The prices of hotels and flights are also normally cheaper. Although it was a little chilly, I would have to say March. I thought Florence was congested in March...I couldn't imagine what it would be like in June!