Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time in Europe-where should I go?!?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 1997, 02:15 PM
Terry Dobson

I will be going to Europe for the first time next June- any suggestions as where to go? Plan on backpacking and staying in hostels.

Old Oct 23rd, 1997, 03:19 PM
Greg Rizos

Go to Greece ! It's the best..
E-mail me for any assistance.
Greg.

Old Oct 24th, 1997, 09:30 AM
Benji McLaughlin

I second the Greece suggestion. Greek isles are the bomb. Definitely check out Crete. Because of its distance backpackers tend to overlook it. The people are super cool. Also, check out Italy. It's so wonderful. Rome is incredibly touristy, but the ciuty is so enchanting. Feel free to e-mail me with suggestions.

Old Oct 24th, 1997, 09:57 AM
Lincoln Chan

I did a 3-week backpacking trip around Europe in June, 1996. Italy was my favorite country. In general, it got everything to offer - history, art, religion, food, etc. However, my favorite city was not in Italy. I liked Paris the best. It is a European city one cannot miss.

Old Oct 24th, 1997, 11:51 AM
Jim

Our first trip 1994 to Europe encompassed Amsterdam,
Berlin, Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Nuremburg, Munich,
Dachau, Innsbruck, Venice, Florence, Rome, Pisa,
Monte Carlo, Avignon, Paris, Black Forest, Cologne,
Brussels and 2nd trip in 1996 to Spain, Madrid,
Seville, Granada, Segovia, Salamanca, Lisbon, Portugal, Gibraltar, etc. The favorite (we are not
young kids..mid 50's) of all these cities (and they
are all neat!) is #l: PRAGUE, Czech Republic.
Wonderful European feel. All original back to the
Romans...not reconstruction. History lovers will
fall in love with it. It feels "Europe" of years
ago everywhere.

Old Oct 24th, 1997, 11:51 AM
Jim

Our first trip 1994 to Europe encompassed Amsterdam,
Berlin, Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Nuremburg, Munich,
Dachau, Innsbruck, Venice, Florence, Rome, Pisa,
Monte Carlo, Avignon, Paris, Black Forest, Cologne,
Brussels and 2nd trip in 1996 to Spain, Madrid,
Seville, Granada, Segovia, Salamanca, Lisbon, Portugal, Gibraltar, etc. The favorite (we are not
young kids..mid 50's) of all these cities (and they
are all neat!) is #l: PRAGUE, Czech Republic.
Wonderful European feel. All original back to the
Romans...not reconstruction. History lovers will
fall in love with it. It feels "Europe" of years
ago everywhere.

Old Oct 24th, 1997, 01:06 PM
dave

Definitely go to Greece, especially Crete and Santorini for incredible food, views, and people.

Old Oct 24th, 1997, 03:21 PM
Monica

Loved Greece as well, especially Mykonos. Athens isn't bad if you stay in the Plaka. Italy was good too, but Greece had the best combo of history and a vibrant nightlife.

Old Oct 24th, 1997, 06:30 PM
Tricia

Hi, there is a great website for backpackers and hosterls at www.eurotrip.com. And I vote for Holland especially Texel and Terschelling, the two best islands in the Freisland Island Chain. Great for young people and cheap!! I have been checking out Norway and it is truly beautiful too. Found an article written by a college age boy on the internet that says Norway it a "must" before one dies!! I think it costs more than Holland tho!

Old Oct 30th, 1997, 06:28 AM
Jane

Of the major European capitals, Paris is a must. It's a beautiful city for walking, and when you're tired the subway is easy to use (even for non-French speaking people).

Of the smaller cities, I'd vote for Salzburg, Austria. It's totally charming. It's my favorite city anywhere. The people are wonderful. The food is great, and the scenery is unsurpassed. Don't miss it!

Old Nov 7th, 1997, 10:02 PM
Silke

I'm german and travelled a lot through Europe. For me Prague is definitely the most beautiful capital in Europe. I also love France, especially Brittany and the mediteranian cost, inclusive Corse (a french island in the mediteranian sea).
Unfortunately Switzerland is very expensive, but you should not miss it... and Italy....!
There are so many countries - you should not try to see to much in a short time, enjoy your travelling and try to get a "feeling" for the foreign country, how people live etc..
There is much more to say and of course I know also a lot of wonderful places in Germany.
If you have any further question, feel free to e-mail me!

Old Nov 8th, 1997, 08:18 AM
David Barber

I've got to vote for Scotland, since noone else
has - in terms of natural beauty the highlands
can't be beat. Edinburgh is an incredible city,
and the islands are phenomenol (try the puffin nesting grounds - great fun!). Note that the
night life outside of the cities is sparse to
nonexistant (which worked well for me - it
depends what you like).

Old Nov 13th, 1997, 02:48 AM
Sophie

If you are going to Europe you must not miss London. It really is the best city in Europe both for shopping, nightlife and sightseeing. The people are really nice and helpful as well.
Another place I highly recommend is Sweden's capital Stockholm. It is known as "Beauty on Water" and is said to be one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
Stockholm is expensive but it is definitely worth it!

Old Nov 14th, 1997, 09:13 PM
Jody

My advice would be to visit one or more travel agents and request tour brochures for Europe. They're free and are full of fabulous color photographs and the highlights of each country. You can get an idea from the tour itineraries of the points of interest in each country or city. You really should do a little homework and determine what YOU find appealing. Once you've decided where to go, get yourself a good tour guide (or check books and videos out at your local library). The more you know before you go about the place you are visiting, the more you'll enjoy your trip. Every hour of preparation will save you hours of frustration and wasted time once at your destination which can be much better spent enjoying yourself.