Reload this Page >

First time in Euope..Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 07:14 PM
cheryl

Please help. My husband and I are 28. We are looking to take a 10 day trip to possibly Italy? or Spain? We crave beautiful scenery, water, great food and shopping. Any suggestions to start off. Tuscany? Venice? Rome?

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 08:15 PM
Rex

It would be easier to advise if we knew what season and what budget range - - but I will take a stab, based on the following assumptions:<BR><BR>sometime between April 1 and October 31<BR><BR>you're ok to spend $3000 to $6000 (for the two of you, not per person, including airfare from continental United States).<BR><BR>Within these parameters, I think you could do great all in Northern Italy, which might or might not include Tuscany. You can get your "water" fix at Lake Como and Venice as well. Scenery? anywhere around any of the three "great" lakes (Como, Maggiore or Garda), or head up into the hills north of Verona. Shopping? the single best reason to stay more than 24 hours in or near Milan (not to mention Bellagio).<BR><BR>And great food? Everywhere!<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 05:55 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Cheryl, Ten days is not much time. I would fly into Milan and start with the Lakes, then down to Florence/Tuscany, and end in Venice. That will be a full 10 days and whet your appetite for your next trip. As Rex says, start with WHEN, HOW MUCH, AND MODE OF TRANSPORT. That will set your parameters for you.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 11:31 AM
Barb

I agree with Rex focus on three main sites so that you don't spend all of your time travelling. One side trip if you are headed to Venice its worth taking an additional hour trip by train to Verona and maybe stay one night. Lake Como area is breathtaking and Venice is very romantic and fun. Enjoy but don't try to do too much or you will be exhausted.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 12:43 PM
skylar

Go to Rome in March. It's gorgeous there that season (70's) and you can take day trips to Pompeii and the Amalfi coast. Rome is the most incredible city in the world - and not too far from Tuscany, which is also priceless and wonderful. Do Southern Italy and do the lakes and Milan (which I personally think is a dump - Italian New York) some other time. Venice should be seen in early March (no crowds and the light is best then) on a separate trip - with someone you love.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 06:00 PM

to the top<BR>

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 12:23 AM
Leslie

Cheryl - If I were 28 and had 10 days in Europe for the very first time, I must say, I wouldn't bother to go near Milan (big modern city with a great cathedral but otherwise not very interesting) or the Italian Lakes which is for older people and leisure. And as a matter of personal taste, I'd not go to Italy and skip Rome which is utterly fascinating.... But, truthfully, I'd try to get a sampling of more than one country. Here are examples:<BR><BR>Paris 3 days + Loire Valley or Normandy/Mt. San Michel 2 days, then catch a cheap flight (Ryan Air) to somewhere else, perhaps Rome where I'd spend 3 days + 1 day trip to Orivieto and 1 day trip to Pompeii...then fly home from Rome OR<BR><BR>Do the above 5 days in Paris/France and then take the fast train to London with 3 days in London + 1 night in Bath, 1 night in the Cotswolds, then fly home from London. Since you are interested in Italy and Spain, you could do something similar with a cheap flight from Italy to Madrid or Barcelona. One way to make your 10 days more efficient is an "open jaw" ticket where you fly into one city and home from another so you don't have to retrace your steps. While this might be more expensive than RT to the same city, you save on return travel to the gateway city and right now there seem to be many airfare bargains. <BR><BR>Yet another alternative that won't go over well on this board of independent travelers would be to take a whirlwind 10 day multi-country guided tour. This is a very efficient and economical way to survey alot of territory. You can then decide where you want to come back to on your next trip which would be a more focused independent visit of a single country. Many tour companies offer 'youth' tours for people age 18 to 35.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 06:09 AM
John

Hi Cheryl,<BR><BR>Your message leaves one wondering if your heart is not set on Italy (as opposed to Spain). You cannot go wrong in either country. Ten days is a very short time. Given that, you may want to consider consolidating your time in a geographic region.<BR><BR>If it is Italy, a Rome/Florence/Venice trip is doable for a 'taste' of Italy. Or alternately, a Rome/Naples trip. Both are great for a 'first timer'<BR><BR>If it is Spain, a Barcelona/Madrid trip is interesting for a 'first timer'.<BR><BR>Your criteria fits just about anywhere in Europe.<BR><BR>For what it is worth, younger folks (your age) that travel typically talk endlessly about their wonderful experiences in Florence/Tuscany/Venice.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Davidx

If you are going soon you will want somewhere reasonably warm as well as interesting. I shall try to e-mail you my notes on Sicily and Andalucia.