First Paris Trip

Search

First Paris Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Paris Trip

My 17 year old niece is traveling to Paris this spring. Any advise regarding safety, pickpockets, etc. would be appreciated. Do you recommend using or not using a backpack. Thanks.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 05:12 AM

You don't mention whether she is traveling alone. Paris is a relatively safe city, but common sense is required, especially on the streets and public transportation after dark. Do advise your niece to greet any unwanted "self-introductions" with total silence. A haughty look is fine. A smile will be taken as encouragement.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 05:25 AM
ira

Hi schectic,

This thread might be useful:

Paris Superthread
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34519236
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 05:30 AM

Paris is a safe city. But on the metro and buses she should be aware of her surroundings and keep her valuables in a money belt possibly. Most people I saw with backpacks on the metro wore their backpacks in the front.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 04:12 PM

Paris I'm sure is as safe (or safer) than any US city, much more than some. I just find myself more aware outside my element. As long as she uses common sense she'll have no problem. I'd try not to carry the backpack around town if possible as it probably will be more cumbersome than a waistpack, just if moving between cities, etc. but really, I felt VERY safe in Paris.

Bon Voyage!
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 04:57 PM
annieladd

I would say the "safeness" in Paris is different than that of other cities of similar size in US. Pickpocketing just doesn't seem to be nearly as big a deal in US, where in Paris it's prevalent, espciallly on the metro where we were nearly taken. However, the idea of someone robbing you with a gun, or beating you up, seemed much less likely than if you turned up on the wrong street in the same sized city in US. At least that was as it appeared to me.

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 05:16 PM

I always carry my important items under my shirt in one of the pouches designed to carry a passport, etc.

I do carry my backpack with me when I travel but I know I must give it up when I venture inside of museums and the like.

I did have one of the zipper pockets opened once when I was standing in line. I never even felt it! I thought it was funny that they chose the pocket with only dirty tissues! Oh, how I hate my allergies!
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 05:46 PM

Speaking of carrying packs around, moldy (funny name), do they allow purses in the museums? I would assume they search your items as they would in an airport, but do you have to give them up while looking around? Thanks!
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 05:48 PM

They allow handbags (purses) and reasonably-sized totebags that serve as purses, but they do not allow luggage.