Notices

first or business travel advice

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 01:48 PM
needingtlc

first or business travel advice

The older I get, the more uncomfortable I am on my rare flights to Europe. Is it possible that some of you savy travellers can advise me on how to manage business or first-class travel on a economy-class income? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 02:07 PM
Bob Brown

Some airlines will allow you to purchase un-restricted tourist class seats and upgrade to business class with frequent flier miles. It takes a bunch of miles, and you pay more for the tourist class ticket, but you do get the upgrade without paying $5000 or so out of pocket.

Having a frequent flier credit card helps accumulate the needed miles, because it is something like 40,000 miles per ticket, depending on your frequentl flier plan.

The only other way I know is to show up and beg for an upgrade.
But that is risky; many others try the same ploy.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:51 PM
janis

One option to consider is Economy Plus on UA. True - it is not business class but it does have extra legroom and amenities - but is more expensive.

AA has more legroom in "regular" coach than any other airline, and at regular fares.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 09:55 PM
topper

topping

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:23 AM
xxx

ttt please and thank you

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:21 AM
Ann

On United, it's 20,000 per ticket to upgrade from the US to Europe. I'm doing this for a trip in August. To Belfast, my fare from DC for economy was about $900. For full fare econonmy, the price was about $1,300, plus the 20,000 miles for the upgrade to business class. To me, it's well worth the extra money.

You can also do it one way, for 10,000 miles. I find that the return flight is usually the worst, as it's longer and I know I have to go back to work the next day.