Rome restaurant for my son's birthday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2015, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please give me some recommendations for a restaurant in Rome for my son's 18th birthday. We wanted Ad Hoc but it is booked. We have some decent clothes that should work for a nice but not super fancy place. We would like to spend no more than 75 euros per person, anyway, so you get the idea. I am browsing tripadvisor for ideas but it is overwhelming. If you know a suitable place please let me know. Thanks a lot.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 06:06 AM

What attracted you to Ad Hoc? (So people can suggest something similar.) Do you want someplace near your hotel?
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

The tasting menu described on the websiteand and the reviews. We are staying near the Pantheon. It would be nice not to have to go too far but it's not so important. We don't have much planned for that day and could travel a bit for a good place.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 12:26 PM

I don't know much about tasting menus except Agata e Romeo has one for about 60 euros I think, and it has a good reputation. It's near Termini, however, but easy to get there and back by tram or taxi if you are too tired to walk.

Grano might be out of your price range, but it's upscale and near you. Don't know if it has tasting menus. It specializes in fish but also serves meat. Pierluigi has its beautiful setting, but don't know if it does tasting menus. It is also fish-centric. If upscale isn't important, people are always happy with their food Armando al Pantheon, but no tasting menus that I know of and while plenty of sophisticated people go, it's a more casual atmosphere and service. If you choose Armando, going after 8.30 means more locals, fewer tourists.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot. I will check those. Tasting menu isn't really that important. I just want my son to like it and have a good time.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 01:43 PM

Our favorite place in Rome is Mario's at P.zza del Grillo, 9, Rome, Italy. It small, family run, has an outdoor patio, food is great and its close to the forum, colosseum, vittorio emmanuele and opera. When we mentioned it to our hotel concierge, he looked surprised and asked 'how do you about this place?'. A neighbor's brother found it on a trip and recommended it. Not in guide books that I know of and for good reason! A second place we really enjoyed was Ristorante Toscano and another place that I honestly cannot remember the name. If you walk up Via Veneto toward Gallery Borghese,the street will deadend, take a right and the restaurant is about 1/2 block down on the right hand side of the street- only sign outside says "ristorante" - go inside and down stairs...fabulous food! Tempo Perso, Tempo Bacco...all good, authentic and fun.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 02:26 PM

You know what might be fun for an 18 year b-day party? Open Colonna
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 02:28 PM

We love Glass. I still dream about the parmesan ravioli and my husband still says their steak tartare there. I could still go for the dreamy semifreddo we had for dessert---so refreshing.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 02:33 PM

(But if you like the idea of Open Colonna, track down prices for dinner. Might not fit the budget, and a surprsie would be unpleasant)
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 12:16 AM

Last time when my friends were in Rome, they tried Alessandro's Home Restaurant for one of my friend's birthday celebration and they really liked it. He was so nice to prepare all the roman dishes and even taught them how to make some of the dishes. He also specially decorated the place and baked a birthday cake. It was really a different experience.
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 12:52 AM

Bookmarking
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. We ended up going to Osteria Barberini. I highly recommended. The setting was, probably, not as festive as at some of the places you mentioned but my son liked it. I highly recommend it for their food and reasonable prices. They have lots of truffle dishes if you are interested. Bookmarking the great suggestions for next time.
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 03:11 PM

Glad he had a good time!