Reload this Page >

Finding the cheapest RT airfare to Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Sarah

This may be an impossible question, but is there a site where one can look up airfares for a certain period of time that travel from the US to *anywhere* in Europe? <BR><BR>I have a timeframe but am completely flexible on WHERE we go into and out of when on our flights. So, to avoid plugging in all know entry and departure points in Europe, I would love a site where there's a list of existing fares or allows you to only input the dates.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 08:46 AM
DB

There probably are but I don't know where. I can tell you that London and Paris tend to be the cheapest. Ireland isn't bad. Brussels used to be cheap before Sabena went out of business, not anymore. Munich is decent.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Sue

Not answering your question but thought worthwhile to bring up. Fellow I work with just got great airfare to Ireland on Priceline--$200 less than published fare for same flight, even after taxes, same carrier,etc. I've never used it, but this made me think of trying it for next trip.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Dan

The thing about Priceline is you won't know your flight times, layover times, or airline until you purchase. For me it is a bit risky on an international trip. However for someone who is flexible, it can be a real deal. I use it for domestic flights every now and then.<BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Betsy

If you plan to use Priceline, go to www.biddingfortravel.com for an essential tutorial on how to bid. You can even request help from the moderators in constructing your first bid.<BR><BR>Good luck

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Sarah

Wonderful tips! Thank you all for your very helpful replies. I've been searching on many of the sites that I found here by searching, but the Priceline option is one that didn't occur to me. We're very flexible, so that might work well.<BR><BR>Well, off I go to search.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Christina

For what you want, it sounds like one good source would be simply to get those e-fare special notifications every week from various airlines as they tend to list them by fare rate, so you can find the cheapest. I subscribe to a service that summarizes them and sends them once a week (I think its www.smarterliving.com). For what you want, cheapest to anywhere, I think one of those bargain newsletters is the best idea.<BR><BR>Another idea is a company like Air Tech (www.airtech.com) which sells you stand-by space on airlines. The catch is you have to fly out of any airport within some (rather long) distance from where you live (and may need to wait around airport for days) and it can be to any major city in western Europe. I think -- I don't know the details, you can check, but that sounds like something you wouldn't mind if rates were good enough. However, their fares are not really that good for all the hassles and insecurity from what I've seen ($169 one-way + maybe tax?). I think various consolidators and airfare sales are as good or better. That might be an idea for summer when fares are high, but not winter. There's another company that does that but I don't like them so won't even mention their name.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Susan

Sarah, definitely spend some time at biddingfortravel.com before you use priceline. The site seems a bit cumbersome at first but if you do your research there you will know exactly what you are doing and save bundles.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Ann

Sue-what airline did you get to Ireland through priceline? I hate Aer Lingus and refuse to fly them again, and had always assumed that the airline I'd end up with if I tried priceline to Dublin.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Mike

Sara, Sue did not get a fare to Ireland, a co-worker did. I wouldn't be afraid of getting Aer-Lingus through Priceline. I'm more afraid of Air Kuwait, Royal Jordan Air, or Air India.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Sue

Co-worker got PIT to Toronto to Ireland( assume Shannon(?); didn't ask) on Air Canada. It was the exact flight he wanted to be on.<BR>I agree with those who say it is risky to use Priceline; I have fears of being booked from PIT to CDG thru St. Louis or something like that, but it sure worked out well for my friend this time. All I know about it.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:06 PM
John G

What is wrong with Air India? I have flown the airline and it was fine. They had top-notch security even before 9/11.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 10:42 AM
julie

Sarah--<BR><BR>we travel like you do and make our plans depending on where there are cheap airfares. go to Trvalocity and click on Dream Maps. Thay tell you which places in europe have fares within certain fare parameters from your departure point.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Sally

Sarah,<BR>if you are a student or under 26 try council travel or sta (both have websites www.sta.com and www.counciltravel.com - I think). usually good fares to places you might really want to go!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Cat

I have flown Royal Jordanian to Ireland and their service was just fine. I liked them better than Aer Lingus! the price was right too!<BR><BR>Sarah:<BR>I just booked RT tickets on United to London for early October. The price was $334 RT including all taxes and additional charges. Got them right from United's website. I checked Orbitz first. They charge an additional $ 10 for their service. God luck in your search.