Finding a London Apt. rental

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are visiting London in early April. As part of the visit we would like to locate a short term &quot;basic&quot; 1 bedroom apartment to use as a base for a several week stay in 2004. <BR>We would appreciate any thoughts on areas of London to search and a few good owners to contact. <BR>Thanks
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 07:58 AM

Manors and Company<BR>1.800.282.1639<BR>they have a web site but I can't remember the address, put the name in Google and see if you can find them.<BR>We rented a one bedroom, absolutely charming apt, in South Kensington. Daily maid service, excellent location, very nice people to deal with. For something extra, they will pick you up at the airport.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 08:59 AM

Here are some websites I found that others have used for apts in London.<BR><BR>www.athomeinlondon.co.uk<BR>www.gtu nlimited.com<BR>www.priceapts.co.uk<BR>http://www.londonservicedapartments.co.uk/<BR>http://www.london4rent.com/<BR>http://chslondon.com/vr/properties.htm<BR><BR>I'd suggest contacting a few &amp; arranging to visit them while you're there on your upcoming trip. (perhaps this was your plan)<BR>The Morgan Hotel in Bloomsbury, which Fodorites love (&amp; is therefore often unavailable) has apt accomodation. Perhaps with such advance warning, this might work. The Morgan has no website but if you do a text search here you will find the address &amp; phone #.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 09:02 AM

Sorry, that was your plan as I reread your post. The Bloomsbury area will probably be the most affordable without compromising convenience.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 09:10 AM

Contact Scala House (owner is Ken Palos). It's not super luxury (you did use the term basic so I am assuming you are not looking for antique furnishings, etc). Scala House is extremely convenient being just one block from the Goodge St. tube stop (Northern Line). There are several major grocery stores within a few blocks. The kitchens are completely equiped with microwave, dishwasher, small washer/dryer, etc. etc. The dishes all matched too. The website gives a complete description and floor plan. What we really liked is there is a full bathroom (w/tub &amp; shower) and then there is a cloakroom, which is a toilet an sink. Very Convenient! There is plenty of closet space and the apartments are very roomy. All are 2 bedroom, but the second bedroom is very small and it is a great place to store your luggage (or someone can take a nap and not be disturbed by the other if there are 2 of you).<BR><BR>It may not be the fanciest neighborhood in London (or the worst by any means), but it's within our price range so we are happy. It's within walking distance to the British Museum too.<BR><BR>Scala House is a regular apartment bldg, 10 floors with 4 apts on each (2 on the top floor). There is also someone at the front desk 24 hrs a day.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 01:09 PM

We stayed at Chiltern Court on Baker St. (Do a google search for their website). Doorman, big rooms, big bathrooms, very nicely furnished, right next to the Baker St tube stop - very convenient.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 04:32 PM
vcl

We stay at Oxbridge Apartments just off Cromwell Road in Kensington. Apartments are basic -- one-bedroom has tiny bedroom with twin beds, living room-kitchen combo with college-dorm decor, functioning bath. Building has one of the world's tiniest elevators. The plusses: Two minutes or less to walk to a Sainsbury's supermarket with a Starbucks, a laundromat with service wash and a fine assortment of restaurants. Five minutes to the Gloucester Road tube station. Helpful management. (My cooktop shorted out last fall; they replaced it in less than an hour.)<BR>There is a website, search on Oxbridge Apartments.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.<BR><BR>V.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. We will visit some of them while in London in early April. <BR>Housing prices in London are REALLY high!!
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 05:58 PM

After reading all the raves about the Morgan hotel in Bloomsbury, I faxed them for a price quote for next January. For an apartment for two adults and one tiny child they were asking 175 pounds per night! (The child would be on a folda bed in the lounge and they were asking an extra 50 pounds per night just for that!!.) This is HEAPS more expensive than just about every one bedroom apartment (or even two bedroom) apartments I found on the internet. So regardless of the great reviews, I decide on something a lot cheaper.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 08:21 PM

Hello jimhoelzel,<BR>My family of 4 is going to London this June. We are renting an apartment from Hamlet apartments. We have not stayed there yet, but there were comments on Fodors that the apartments are very clean and well furnished. They are not very centrally located, as they are very near the Tower Bridge and St. Katherine's Marina. The price is very reasonable, 580pounds per week in the summer. They are located near Tower Hill tube station which is served by the Circle and District Lines. There is a Safeway grocery store nearby. So, if you are looking for budget accomodations, you can check out their website at www.hamletuk.co
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 08:23 PM

Sorry, Make that www.hamletuk.com
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:50 AM

Jim,<BR>We also rented from Hamlet Apartments in St. Katharine's Marina once (I'm the person who recommended Scala House further up this post). The apt. we had at the Marina was fine, not furnished in anything but &quot;basic&quot;,but the price is very reasonable for London and it is a lovely area. We really liked the Marina a lot but found the walk to the Tube a bit long (I have a foot problem)so that aspect of it was not ideal. The apartments are located just around the corner from a large Safeway and there are numerous shops in the Marina itself as well as the Tower Thistle Hotel. Of all the places we've stayed in London the Marina is really one of the prettiest, unfortunately for me it was not as convenient as I'd have liked. For price tho, you cannot beat the apts.