Finally!!! I've finalized our itinerary to Germany/Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 3 months of researching and posting questions here on Fodors, I've finalized our itinerary and even made hotel reservations. Our trip isn't until summer so there is time to make changes if needed ... but we are happy with what we finally came up with.

I'd also like to thank everyone on Fodors who has helped me thus far in planning this trip. Your knowledge has been much appreciated.

I found making our room reservations to be very easy and the hotels themselves were very quick in responding to my inquiries. Although I've booked at the Hotel Wilden Mann, I'm still holding out hope that I will be able to find cheaper rates for Hotle Wilden Mann before summer.

Let me also add that this is my 2 week intinerary with my husband. My sister and I have not started our France itin. yet (for 1 week). Below is our itinerary.

Thursday: Depart for Frankfurt

Friday: Cochem Sleep Alte Thorschenke

Sat: Beilstein, Burg Eltz Sleep Alte Thorschenke

Sun: Rothenburg Sleep Burg Hotel

Monday: Rothenburg .. possibly Nurnberg ... Sleep Burg Hotel

Tuesday: Munich via Romantic Road Sleep Hotel Uhland

Wed: Dachau Sleep Hotel Uhland

Thurs: Fussen Sleep Suzanne's B&B

Friday: Castles Sleep Suzanne's B&B

Saturday: Meersburg Sleep Gasthof Zum Baeren

Sunday: Appenzell Sleep Haus Lydia

Monday: Appenzell Sleep Haus Lydia

Tuesday: Luzern Sleep Hotel Wilden Mann

Wed: Luzern Sleep Hotel Wilden Mann

Thurs: Bern Luzern Sleep Hotel Wilden Mann

Friday: To Zurich (pick-up my sister). To Freiburg Sleep Freiburg

Saturday: My husband flys out of Frankfurt. My sister and I head to France

I didn't go into detail as to what we are doing each day ... as I still have a bit of planning to do and didn't want to bore you with all the details so the above is the basics and where we will be spending the night.

If anyone, after reading this and seeing what towns we will be in, can recommend good restaurants and shopping, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks again everyone for helping!!

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:43 AM

Congrats on finalizing your itinerary...it looks great!

I'm not good at remembering names of restaurants we ate at, but I do recall eating a really good meal at Resaurante Sonne in Appenzell. It was recommended to us by a staff person at Haus Lydia, and we were very pleased with it. Definitely try the Appenzeller Beer! The town also has some great shops.

Tracy
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Are you going to be travelling by car?
My DH and I went to Appenzell a few years ago and wandered off to find the tiny town of Stein.
They have a cheese making factory/shop/restaurant. We had such a great lunch there and such a blast getting lost finding it!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Looks great! Thanks for posting- I may "use" some of your hotels
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Tracy, thank you for the recommendation!!

TravlGrl, yes, we will have a car. I'm going to look into Stein. I feel as though I've read about that somewhere.

TXgalinGa, if you need more information on any of the places we are staying, let me know and I can send it to you.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Looks great! You'll have a nice trip with this itinerary. One thing you might want to consider in the future: guest houses are typically less expensive than hotels and usually come with a nice-sized breakfast. My husband speaks German, so he always enjoys interacting with the people, which is easier to do in guest houses.

Either way, you are in for a wonderful time!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 12:15 PM

I'm sure you have posted this, but when are you traveling? My mom and I will be there June 12-26. Smack in the middle of the World Cup! Did you have any trouble finding hotels this far out? I'm thinking I should get some booked...
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 12:30 PM

I've written a separate post about all the trouble I had finding a hotel anywhere near Frankfurt Airport for May 18 -- several weeks prior to the start of the World Cup matches. I had checked hotels in Wurzburg all the way to Rudesheim and they either didn't show any rooms for my date or the prices were several hundred dollars a night for a room that normally went for much much less. Can't imagine what it will be like in June!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

TxgalinGA, our trip is July 27-Aug 12. We didn't have any trouble finding available rooms, but then again we are missing World Cup.

We were originally going to go in June until I accidentally found out by reading a booklet I received in the mail that the World Cup was going on so we changed our dates.

Our hotel in Meersburg is getting booked because I had requested a room with the oriel window but it had been taken. Hotel Wilden Mann in Luzern said they only had 3 rooms available for the days I was looking for.

Other than those two places, we didn't have any trouble.