Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

*Finally* going to Brugges...recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 10:21 PM
Anna

After dreaming of it and longing to see Brugges since 1990 (and missing it on 3 Europe trips since then as we were not in that area) it looks like we will finally get to Brugges this May.<BR>I have read all the posts on this board going back as far as I can find on Brugges (aka Bruges) but many of them are older posts so I'm asking a new question to see what response I can get.<BR><BR>How many nights would people suggest we stay in Brugges? We are not shoppers but love towns with atmosphere (Venice is our favorite city in the world and our last trip was in '98 for a month in small towns in Austria where we especially liked Hallstatt) and like to explore quieter places in areas we go to (ie: take it slow and soak up the atmosphere). *Love* to hike..anyone know of hikes in this area? Any suggestions for special places in Brugges? <BR>We will be in Europe for 3 weeks and right now are just starting our planning....would it be best to see Brugges at the beginning of May or later in May? I thought early May might be better because of tourist crowds (?). Any other words of wisdom from Brugges fans to someone who has never been there but longed so to go?<BR><BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 10:25 PM
ldsant

Anna:<BR><BR>Glad you're going! I just returned from there last week and had a wonderful time. I think that you'll see that there were a few threads from the last two weeks that might be able to help you. Sorry, I don't know about the hiking, but Brugge is a lovely town. If the other threads don't assist you, please feel free to email me with your ?s.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 01:13 AM
btilke

First of all, the crowds are already here! Brugge (no "s" at the end) is a popular stop year round. I'd advise you to plan your stay so that it's NOT over a week-end. That will cut the crowds way down. I would give it three nights--that would be plenty of time to see the sights. One of the day trips I'd recommend is Kortrijk (it's only half an hour away) which has much in common with Brugge, but on a smaller, tourist-free scale. <BR>This part of Belgium is very flat, so it's not really hiking country. Rent a bike instead and go on some lovely rides around the canals. There are numerous places to rent bikes and they shop owners will be glad to help you plan routes. <BR>As for special places, if you're like to do a splurge dinner and not run into other tourists (or very few, anyway), try De Gouden Hereng for dinner. Reservations advised--your hotel could make them for you.<BR>Brugge at night is wonderful--the day trippers are gone and the whole feel changes.<BR>Another day trip--if you're inclined--might be to Ieper (Ypres) for their WW I museum.<BR>Btilke (Brussels)

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 04:52 AM
nancy

Anna,<BR>Not sure if the timing would work for you, or if you are even interested, but I topped a thread just now, called<BR>"For Anyone Going To Belgium End of April..."<BR>you may want to check it out.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 07:58 AM
arjay

We had a GREAT dinner at l'intermede in Brugge. It's a tiny, fine dining establishment - the address: wulfhagestraat 3<BR>There are only about a dozen tables, very intimate, lots of candles and mirrors. Highly recommended. If you've not made your lodging reservations yet, I posted in one of the Brugge threads recently of a very pleasant little B&amp;B that is -thankfully - tucked away. And the rate is about $65 a nite for two, with a complete breakfast. If you're interested, you can e-m me at [email protected] If you decide to take a break from looking at all the incredible buildings, you'll find some fun shopping (lace-free!) at Dille &amp; Kamille (housewares, etc) on Simon Stevinplein. We also happened on a shop that sells silk flowers - in the most incredible array..and quite reasonable (about $3-3.50 a stem for the most gorgeous irises). It's called de Binnentuin and is at Philipstockstraat 16. Happy travels!

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 09:34 PM
Anna

Thanks very much for the tips so far. I will definately check out the town of Kortrijk and the resturants mentioned.<BR>Thanks for topping that post about the big floral show.<BR>