Finalizing Itinerary

Search

Finalizing Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finalizing Itinerary

Thanks to everyone for their great advice. I am finally finishing up my itinerary (for late March) and I have come to the conclusion that even though I would love to see all of Spain in 8 days, it is not going to work! My idea is the following:
Day 1: Arrive Madrid
Day 2: Madrid
Day 3: Day trip to Toledo
Day 4: Train from Madrid to Seville
Day 5: Seville
Day 6: Day trip to Granada (or overnight)
Day 7: return to Madrid
Day 8: return to U.S

As Day 5 will be a Monday, will that be a problem seeing all there is to see in Seville?
Also, I could add an extra day somewhere (except Madrid, as I have been there) without a problem, if it is needed.

Thanks so much for your input!!
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 05:52 PM
MMM

Not sure if you're the kind of traveler who likes to stay put on the day of arrival, but you might consider starting out by heading to Seville, spending three nights, then getting an early start the fourth day (either by car or by train) to Granada for the next night, and then driving or taking the train to Madrid for the next three nights. I'm not sure if you are planning to rent a car, but keep in mind that if you use the train from Granada to Madrid (or Madrid to Granada), I believe the train takes more than 5 hours, so this will put a dent into your day. You might also consider some intra-Spain flights to save time. I like to err on the side of an extra night in Seville just because I enjoy the city so much (and it is also convenient to other nearby cities). I also like to spend two overnights in Granada, but your time seems limited.

Enjoy.

MMM
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

This is an intersting idea. I think I read on someone's thread that they did this as well. I agree, 5 hours on the train is a lot of time killing. Where do you stay in Granada? Is it worth staying at the Parador? How do you get from Seville to Granada if you don't want to drive?
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 03:17 AM

I think your itinerary is fine. About the Monday in Seville, since you are taking the Madrid-Seville train on Sunday and this Ave high speed train takes only 2'5 hours, just make sure you take an early one that will allow you to drop your things at the hotel and head to the Alcazar before 2 pm. It's the only major monument that will be closed on Monday. Pretty much everything else -including the Cathedral- you can see on Mondays.

From Seville to Granada, take an early bus or train -both take about 3'5 hours-. That will allow you more time in that magical city.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like by the time one gets to Granada from Seville, most of the day is lost (i.e. it is a hard "day trip&quot.
Has anyone had any experience with this? Thinking about doing two nights in Granada so that we can have a whole day of touring sights and getting out early before the hordes. Also, what is the weather like there in late March?