Finalize Provence Itinerary

Apr 7th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Finalize Provence Itinerary

Okay, we've booked 2 nights in Nice, and 4 nights in St Remy. For our additional 6 nights, here are the possibilities:

1) 2 nights in Bonnieux, 2 nights in Vaison La Romaine, 2 nights in Aix.
2) 2 nights in Bonnieux, 4 nights in/near Aix.
3) Skip Bonnieux, and do 3 nights in Vaison la Romaine, and 3 nights in/near Aix.

What do you think? By including Vaison la Romaine, am I cramming in too much? Should I skip Bonnieux? Your expect opinion is welcome.

Thanks,
Alice
Apr 7th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Aix is great, but there's not as much to see in the immediate area around it, as there is in other locations in Provence, IMO.

I would stay 1 night in Aix on the way from Nice to Bonnieux, stay 3 nights in Bonnieux, and then 2 in the Vaison area (not sure I would really stay IN Vaison - perhaps just outside near Seguret, etc). If you don't want to stay in that many different places, perhaps visit Aix on the way from Nice to Bonnieux, and add a night to Vaison.

Another possibility would be to stay 1 night in the Cotignac/Tourtour area (east of Aix - lots of stuff to see there), explore that region, and then hit Aix on the way from Cotignac to Bonnieux.

As a suggestion, always indicate the specific days of the week you are anticipating staying in these towns. For example, if you plan to be in Aix on a Sunday & Monday morning when most of the shops will be closed, I would suggest that you by-pass Aix & maybe return there from Bonnieux on a Tues, Thurs, or Sat so you can visit their wonderful market. Also, try to be close to l'Isle sur la Sorgue on a Sunday if you can, if you plan to visit their market. Also indicate what time of year you'll be there. In late June & July I would want to stay close to the Lavender fields, so that would be more time in Vaison or Bonnieux than in Aix or even St Remy. Also indicate if you are a wine enthusiast - which could mean more time in the Seguret/Rhone winegrowing region. Are you planning to visit Cassis - which could extend your time in Aix. Or the Camargue - from St Remy

Stu Dudley
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Stu, you always have such good suggestions. As to when we're going - we arrive in Nice on May 23, and depart from Nice on June 4. We stay in Nice the first two nights, and then drive to St Remy - we'll arrive St Remy on Fri and depart on Tue. We'd arrive in Bonnieux on Tue, depart Thu.

My husband is a wine enthusiast, so that should go into the planning. I defnitely want to spend a day in Cassis and the Calanques.

I don't know much about the Cotignac/Tourtour area - maybe I should do some research about that. We could just make Aix a day trip, maybe on Sat if that's when the market is.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Alice
Apr 7th, 2007, 01:06 PM

Aix as a day-trip from Bonnieux would be fine. There is a small market there daily, and a much larger one on Tues, Thurs, & Sat. Make sure you get there by 9:30, so you can find a parking place.

Beaucastel outside of Chateauneuf du Pape (close to exit #22 on the A7) has a good winery tour & tasting - reserve in advance for a tour in English. It's pretty close to Vaison. Good wine tasting at the co-op in Gigondas.

I assume you have my 20+ page itinerary.

Stu Dudley
Apr 7th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Yes, of course I have your itinerary, it's been a huge help! I'll spend some time tomorrow working on the last part of this trip.

Alice