Reload this Page >

Film and X-Ray Machines at the Airports

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Leslie

Since I traveled through a few airports yesterday, I thought I would let you all know about your film going through x-ray machines. In both the Budapest and Zurich airports, the sign at the security booth said that film with an ASA of 1600 will not be harmed by x-ray machines. However, at O'Hare Airport in Chicago, the sign said 1000 ASA. If you use film with a higher ASA, all you have to do is give the film to Security and it will not be scanned through the x-ray machines.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Amy

I just returned from Italy, where I went through 3 xray screenings (Logan Airport-Boston, Malpensa-Milan and Capodocino-Naples) and was refused a handcheck at each airport. All said "your film is fine" and made me put it through. Only one screener of the 5 times I was screened questioned my lead film bag, however. (Leading me to believe they either didn't care or could see through it anyway). My film was fine, by the way, and I had 400 and 800 speed in there.<BR><BR>Amy

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Drew

I just bought a bag at a local Wolf (Ritz) camera store for $15 that protects up to ASA800 - holds 18 rolls. It has lead - so they may open it on the other side of the scanner - thus you get a hand check even if they wouldn't do it by request!<BR><BR>D

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Gretchen

-" so they may open it on the other side of the scanner - thus you get a hand check even if they wouldn't do it by request!"<BR><BR>Maybe, maybe not. When my handbag was hand checked it was put back through the scanner.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Kathy

I've used a lead lined bag since 911 a few times. It is always in my carry one] and I've NEVER been stopped in order to check inside. So...either it doesn't work or they just don't care. Took 800 speed film to Iceland but can't tell if it was affected as I'll never know if the pictures would have been clearer, better, brighter, etc if it had not gone thru the Xray. Any other thoughts?

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 08:45 PM
janis

Lead bags are not necessary for any speeds up to about 1000+ asa. NEVER put film in checked bags because those scanners can and do ruin film - but the X-ray machines used for carry on bags will not harm normal speed films. You can always ask for a hand inspection - but they can and often do refuse to hand search.<BR><BR>400 and/or 800 ASA is fine for most low light / non flash situations and Xray machines won't hurt those. If you use very high speed films (say 1600+) you might want to use a lead bag.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 09:04 PM
Kathy

Janis, I have to tell you that when I would have my film hand checked my pictures were always alittle brighter and clearer than friends on the same trip. Since hand checking was the only difference I have to assume the xray is the reason.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 05:25 AM
janis

Kathy - Hnad checking is probably not the reason. Some people are just better photographers, have sharper lenses, or use better suited film. On EVERY trip I take (if I have traveling companions) they always insist on getting copies of my photos because they are better. This is not to boast - there are plenty of things I am not good at - but photography is not one of them. <BR><BR>Using Kodak indoors, or Fuji outdoors, or 400-1000 speed without a flash, or just having a better camera all contribute to sharper and brighter pictures. Plus just the "eye" of the photographer. You are probably just a better picture taker.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Jim

Janis,<BR>I'ld read that it was Fuji for high speed or indoors and Kodak for low speed or outdoors. Just wondering??

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 04:58 PM
janis

Jim - I agree w/ Kodak for very high speed. But for outdoors, Fuji is MUCH better - mostly because their greens are so much truer. Scenery photos using the same speeds and settings -- Kodak will be darker and duller, Fuji will be more vibrant and brighter.<BR><BR>With flash or at high speed, I think Kodak has a slight edge. Kodak is also better for B&W. But on vacation I generally carry mostly Fuji because it is almost as good as Kodak indoors and much better outdoors. <BR><BR>(I am an amatuer - but have sold many photographs and these are just my experience re films.)