FILM

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 09:57 AM
KRIS

FILM

HOW DO I AVOID THE PEOPLE AT AIRPORT FROM PUT MY FILM THROUGH THE SCANNER?

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Marc David Miller

See the "xray" thread below, it is quite informative.

I assume you are not trying to avoid security at an airport.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Bill

Simple....ask them to hand inspect it. I understand that it is a requirement of the FAA in the USA to respond to accept request for hand inspections. This probably is not true in all countries, but I haven't had any problems in England or Ireland. Depends on where you are going I guess.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Myer

According to written guidelines (23 pages) they are required to do a hand check if you request for film. However, I can just see them leafing through 23 pages and being very pleased with you.

Also, the FAA has no authority in other countries.

Some people have used a lead lined envelope or pouch for film. This creates a hole in the scanner but people have said they aren't even asked about it.

I'll be using one. Leaving tomorrow. I'll report when I get back.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 11:16 AM
dan woodlief

Assuming you are flying in the U.S., regulations still say they are supposed to hand inspect if asked, but many personnel are getting reluctant to do this. Take the film out of the containers, and place them in clear plastic bags to make it easy on them. Ask for hand inspection. If you really feel strongly about it, you could print out a copy of the regulation and take it with you. Ask for a supervisor if they won't hand inspect. However, the other end of the equation is how much fuss you are willing to make and how much you mind holding up the lines. With low speed film, I will insist just a little, but if they seem very reluctant just go on through. It is unlikely to hurt low speed film unless you go through many times. You can always use a lead bag for extra protection.

The FAA really needs to clarify this. If hand inspections are still required by law, then the personnel should know this. Unfortunately they often don't.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 11:40 AM
mpprh

Hi

Forget hand inspections.

The outside contractors need to call a supervisor, and they are targetted on people per hour.

Other threads say a lead pouch results in increased radiation to see through it.

I have not had problems with ASA 1000 film used for action photography on the arctic circle in winter. Includes 2 checks there, and two back.

It is cumulative, though. So if you will pass several detectors, buy the film locally, and think of local processing. These days they have the same computer driven processing machines in Bali, Sydney, Chicago, Paris ?

Peter