Search

Secure Passport, Money and CC holders?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2015, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Secure Passport, Money and CC holders?

Hello all,

I have read extensively about the dangers of being ripped off while in Italy. Naturally, keeping passports, money and credit cards secure is a top priority. Do you have any product (combination) recommendations that are both secure and convenient to carry (not awkward)?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 08:16 AM

For years my husband has traveled around the world with a small coin case made of fabric with a rubber panel so that it can't be easily taken from your pocket. You can buy it from Amazon: The DayMaker BeSafeBagsTM Security Wallet with Diagonal Zipper. They make this in leather also but you want the one with microfiber and rubber. Also, be sure to put it in your front pocket--never in a rear one.

We tried using all those waist and neck holders but gave up on them as more nuisance than anything.I keep the passports in a zip pouch which I put in the room safe in a hotel. When traveling, I keep them in my backpack purse in an inside zipped pocket. I keep a laminated copy of our passports in my day pack, but I've never had to produce it. My current favorite bag is the Baggallini Cinch backpack purse.

For daily use, I use a small credit card holder and slip a few paper bills and coins in it. I have sometimes attached a small combo lock to the double zipper on my day pack. Amazon: Master Lock 4688D TSA Accepted Cable Luggage Lock in Assorted Colors

I also travel with a bicycle cable lock to use when I have to leave two pieces of luggage at the end of a train car where I can't keep an eye on it or to attach to an overhead train rack.

The last time we were in Italy two girls (late teens, early20s) started walking along with DH and telling him how handsome he was. One of them kept running her hand up and down his arm, clearly aiming to grab his billfold out of his pocket. I was walking behind and shouted "Nein" several times, which scared them and they quickly left. DH said he knew what she was doing and he knew his billfold was safe in his front pocket, but it was too close a call for me.

One other time he nearly lost his billfold was in Munich, when a very well-dressed man brushed up against him in the Englische Garden. Since the sidewalk was mostly clear, it was obvious what he was trying to do.

A third example was the time we watched a young man walking all around the train station in Milan, clearly looking for an opportunity to snatch something. He kept circling, never looking up but always looking at bags and purses.

What you need to keep in mind is that pickpockets look like nice well-dressed people. If they looked scummy, you'd avoid them, but if they look nice, you think they're safe.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 08:25 AM

I have had wonderful luck with the cross body purse I purchased from Kohl's (of all places) (mine is black) http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-102...ssbody-bag.jsp
Previously I had a smaller one that the passports fit snuggly into but it was a stretch for a small phone and camera as well. This small bag does have wonderful compartments that keep your credit cards/passports close to you, can hold a phone and small camera also as well as being small enough to wear under a light sweater or jacket. The strap is adjustable to your height (I'm short ) I can keep my hand on it quite easily if in a "jostled" situation. So far so good.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 09:52 AM

I think all the talk of pick-pockets in Italy is slightly over-hyped... there's pickpockets everywhere and Italy's not immune... and of course you'll find a little more of it anywhere where the economy is tighter... and certainly in any large city anywhere in the world...

your #1 defense against pickpockets is awareness!!! just be aware of your surroundings at all times... of course confidence and stance play important roles in fending off crime...

It sounds to me like you're very aware, and you take many safeguards already... don't let fear of these small possibilities ruin your travels...
think positively, travel confidently, stay aware, and have fun!!!
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 09:57 AM

We kept one card apiece and some cash easily available to us and put the rest in our money belts. Here's the one we chose:
http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Tr...FEZ7TG4G8A4J5D

Lee Ann
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 10:04 AM

Just yesterday I ordered a new wallet and traveler money clip that I saw in Travel & Leisure magazine, see link below if interested.

http://www.rogue-industries.com/collections/all

We travel a lot and my husband prefers putting his wallet in his front pocket so I thought this would be less bulky, also thought the money clip that has a place for a few credit cards would be good for travel. We'll see, if he doesn't like them they can be returned.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 10:05 AM

I have a money belt similar to ElendilPickle's, but it's silk, cooler in hot weather and less bulky.

You also need to be careful with electronics, especially smartphones.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 10:39 AM

I use a money belt for my passport and only carry a small amount of cash and a credit card in my pocket. Velcro in you pockets works wonders!!!
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 04:23 PM
kja

Here's a recent discussion:

http://www.fodors.com/community/trav...allets-etc.cfm