Toledo, Paris, London

Old Jul 13th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toledo, Paris, London

Hi everyone,

New to the forum but I have found so many useful tips already, I decided to join and ask my very own question!

My sister and I are planning a trip to Europe in October 2016. The plan was originally for 3 weeks but it has now been cut down to 2 weeks due to job duties etc. Is it crazy to think we can visit 3 different cities in about 10 days? We have an uncle in Toledo, Spain so the plan so far is as follows:
10/8/16- depart USA
10/9/16- arrive in Madrid in the morning, take 45 min train from Madrid to Toledo to meet fam
10/10/16- Toledo
10/11/16- Toledo, possible day trip into Madrid
10/12/16- take train back into Madrid and catch an afternoon budget flight from Madrid to Paris
10/13/16- Paris
10/14/16- Paris
10/15/16- Paris
10/16/16- Paris
10/17/16- depart Paris, take afternoon train into London
10/18/16- London
10/19/16- Day trip to Stourhead Gardens, about 2.5 hours east of London
10/20/16- Day trip to Chatsworth House, about 4 hours north of London
10/21/16- London
10/22/16- depart London back to USA on a morning flight

I'm more of the type to stay in one place and really take everything in and see all it has to offer. However, my sister is more of the "fit as much as you can into the 2 weeks" type of person, which I feel is counterproductive. If I had my way, I would skip Toledo altogether and just do a week in Paris and a week in London but going to Europe and not visiting family we haven't seen in years is harsh and out of the question for me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 09:04 PM

Toledo is one of the most beautiful, historic, interesting places you could ever go. I have been twice and would happily go again. I would love to have relatives there!

Do not under any circumstances miss the Toledo Cathedral! It is one of the truly great cathedrals in the world.

I llike Paris and enjoy London, but if I were already going to Spain, I would stay in Spain. Won't go into many details, but It is such a fabulous country, equal to others in richness and beauty. Think charming, old world Seville, the great mosque in Cordoba, the Prado in Madrid and the incomparable Alhambra. If you have not been, I strongly recommend you consider it.

At the very least, I would spend more time in Spain and do just one other city outside of Spain. Are there any places in Spain you are interested in?

Perhaps you have already been to Spain though, so next comment is on England.

Anything over an hour and a half (perhaps stretched to two hours for some things) each way is not a great day trip plan. That four hour trip, if it is each way, is something I would not do under any circumstances for anyone. That is eight hours of travel. How much time do you plan on sightseeing once you are there? Any time travel time takes more time than sightseeing time, you are right; it is counterproductive.

Your sister is not fitting in more. She is fitting in more travel time. Fitting in more would mean seeing more in London or nearby.
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 09:39 PM
kja

Sounds like the two of you really need to sort some things out!

Example: If you are flying into Madrid, why aren't you spending any time there? (You might have reasons not covered in your initial post....) And why are you trying to fit so much into such little tIme?

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip no matter what you decide!
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 09:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your London leg makes no sense.

>>10/19/16- Day trip to Stourhead Gardens, about 2.5 hours east of Londoncould do it as a day trip from London but - it is a two hour train to Sheffield and then a bus that only runs once an hour and takes about an hour . . . so you'd be a total of 8 hours in transit plus time at the house.
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 10:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry for the typos

Should be >>Stourhead takes 2 hours by train to Gillingham and then you are still 7 miles from Stourhead.>There are fabulous Gardens a lot nearer to London including Kew. >If you drive -- it will be about a 3.5 hour drive PLUS the time to arrange/collect the rental car.each way so about 7+ hours in transit.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 03:48 AM

Hi,

If you have family in Toledo, don't miss it. Toledo is a nice place though can be crowded during summer with a lot of tourists which usually leave in the evening back to Madrid. Most don't stay in Toledo for more than a day. The cathedral is nice, the small streets are great for walking around or even going down to the river and then taking lunch or a coffee in some of the small restaurants and bars. Your uncle will probable show you around.

If you already visit Toledo, you shouldn't miss Madrid. 3 cities are completely doable in 10 days. You could even do more if they all wouldn't be in different countries. With Madrid, London and Paris (and Toledo ;-) you will have seen some of the best and most popular big cities in Europe.

Colins
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 10:20 AM

I think the 3 cities works - assuming the importance of seeing family in Toledo - otherwise I would do just London and Paris.

What is a mystery to me are the day trips from London (unless you have already been there several times and seen the major sights in the city as well as much more obvious day trips). Four days in London is just beginning to scratch the surface and I would not do any day trips unless you have a really strong reason to do so.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your input! Now I have ammo when I approach my sister and let he know that the day trips in London are out!

She's obsessed with Pride & Prejudice, Jane Austen, etc etc (truthfully, we both are) and she wanted to go to some of the places where the movie and/or BBC miniseries was filmed. I can do without that and save the countryside for a later trip, when we have more time and are more familiar with the city.

Again, thanks so much! And if anyone has any suggestions of restaurants/food/cafes we must try please feel free to comment... I'm a foodie as well!
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 05:26 PM

I understand the Pemberly thing, but I found Chatsworth just worth a trip from Bakewell, a few miles away. The gardens are lovely, and Bakewell is lovely, but for me in no way worth a day trip on a short London stay.

How about if you walk around in Mayfair where the Miss Dashwoods hung around waiting for Willoughby to call? Or Gracechurch Street ditto Miss Bennett and her young man?

http://www.jasna.org/info/maps-london.html

http://www.jasna.org/info/maps-london-key.html

Not even to mention Austen's desk in the British Library or her portrait at the National Portrait Gallery.