Reload this Page >

Fiesole - manageable walk?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Susan

I have booked 2 nights in what appears as a comfortable B & B called Le Cannelle located in Fiesole and wondering if anyone knows about the distance from sights in Florence, (we're avoiding any car rental until heading to the Chianti region.) Also, has anyone stayed in this place or in this tiny town that would offer suggestions for commuting to Florence and back. Thanks in advance!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Edmond O`Flaherty

There is a bus from the railway station in Florence (Firenze as it is known in Italian) to Fiesole which is on top of a steep hill several miles away.The view of the ancient city is magnificent.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Livingston

In May I took bus #7 starting at the Santa Maria Novella bus/train station (itself only 4-5 blocks from the Duomo), traveling through downtown Florence, up the hill through beautiful residential area, and ending in Fiesole's main square. The ride takes 30 minutes. It was mid afternoon and there was standing room only for a part of the trip, but again, only 30 minutes. I noticed the young people giving up their seats for the elderly, so if you are "of age", you may be in luck!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 04:18 AM
Susan

Thanks for both replies. It appears that a ride on bus #7 is the way to go. We're in good shape and don't qualify as seniors, so had thought we could "hike it", but appears it's much further and all up hill. One post mentioned a ride that took only 15 min., but perhaps that's when the bus is not making as many stops. Sounds like a wonderful place to stay no matter the distance.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 04:29 AM
Apollo

Fiesole is a great place to stay! I'm quite, quite jealous of you! Indeed it is uphill all the way from Florence and quite a way. I had my car with me and wouldn't have dreamt of walking it!<BR>In the evening however, you can walk out of Fiesole towards Florence and you will shortly come to a spot where the road and pavement create a belvedere overlooking the city below. Its a beautiful view with the city lighting up in the dusk and the red tiled roofs tinged an even deeper hue by the setting sun - an excellent and romantic digestif!<BR>Be sure not to miss the fascinating Roman ruins in Fisole itself: a great little amphitheatre which is very well presented. Great bars around the central square too, for a beer or two or a nightcap before heading back to your hotel.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful stay!<BR><BR>Apollo

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 05:31 AM
TJ

Susan - definitely a bit far to walk (and it's not an overly pretty walk as you are going through some pretty suburban areas before you reach the historic center). We went to Fiesole for lunch and loved the view but personally were glad we opted to stay in Florence (we considered staying at Villa San Michele). The ride in is a bit longer than 15 minutes (bus is the way to go as we cabbed it one way and it was pricey). <BR><BR>We like to walk alot so enjoyed being able to walk out our hotel to restaurants, sites, etc. and be able to clean up/rest at the hotel before going out for the evening. That will be a bit inconvenient in Fiesole unless you opt to have your dinners there. If you are all confirmed, Fiesole is beautiful and you'll have a great time. Just offering another perspective, especially if you enjoying walking as we do. Have a great trip.