Search

Festivals

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 12:25 PM
Stacy

Festivals

I am planning a trip to tour all over Europe starting in the beginning of September. I am not going to set a definite itinerary, but I would like to know of some festivals, big or small in different countries that might help give me a better perspective on cultures. Has anyone heard of any festivals?

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 12:52 PM
Lee

Stacy: How about Oktoberfest? It's an annual event that was first celebrated in 1810 with the wedding of Prince Ludwig of Bavaria to Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen and has just gotten bigger each year. It lasts two weeks and concludes on the first Sunday in October. You'll get some culture there. <BR> <BR>Party on! <BR>

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 03:51 PM
wes fowler

Stacy, <BR>Go to your library or a large book store such as Barnes & Noble or Borders. Scan through any of the tour guides for Europe, Fodor's, Frommers, etc. You should find the addresses and phone numbers of the National tourist offices in this country. Almost all have New York addresses. Contact them and ask for information regarding festivals. While at the store or library, check the Michelin Green guides for each of the countries you plan to visit. They list festivals and dates in their appendices.

Old Apr 30th, 1999, 04:17 PM
Christina

There is actually a very good WEB site on this subject at www.festivals.com <BR>(yeah, I know, that's too easy, huh). <BR>I know a lot about classical music festivals and arts, but don't want to go into it if that isn't your interest, which it doesn't sound like it is. But, for classical music, dance, opera, the New York Times published a complete compendium on European festivals in those areas, they usually publish it in Feb or March of each year. It wasn't that long ago, I saved it -- it's probably available on their WEB site (www.nytimes.com) -- it was in the travel section, I believe.

Old May 2nd, 1999, 06:14 AM
Mary

I haven't checked this myself (it was in today's Tampa Tribune) --www.festivals.com --for details about festivals around the world. Good luck.