Reload this Page >

ferry to villa d'este

Search

ferry to villa d'este

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 03:58 AM
sam

ferry to villa d'este

We'll be staying in Bellagio and would like to have lunch at the Villa d'Este in Cernobbio one day. Is it doable to take the ferry to Cernobbio and walk to the Villa d'Este, or are the distances (including the distance once you get onto the grounds of the Villa d'Este) too great? (Actually, I'm not sure that the ferry even goes from Bellagio to Cernobbio, so I would appreciate any advice on this, too.) Thanks.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 04:43 AM
ali

I stayed there last year, and the site is alot smaller than you would think from the pictures. We drove there from Como, but I recall we did walk to the town on a Saturday and it took maybe 10 minutes, so if the ferry drops you off there, it shouldn't be a problem at all. The hotel also has a private water taxi dock that I saw people using, so that might be an option. The hotel is a dream, and even spending one mealtime there is enough to put you under its spell.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 06:26 AM
wes fowler

The ferry does indeed go from Bellagio to Cernobbio, however, it makes stops at just about every village on either shore of the lake, some dozen or so stops. It would make more sense to take the hydrofoil from Bellagio direct to Como then the "local" ferry to Cernobbio, the second stop after Tavernola. There is a lengthy promenade from the ferry dock to the lakeside village in Cernobbio then about a half mile walk to Villa d'Este with a rather steep descent from the roadway to the Villa. (Not a problem going, but not thrilling returning!)

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 08:22 AM
sam

Thank you very much. Is there much to see and do in the town of Cernobbio itself, or is it just a gateway to the Villa d'Este?

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 08:40 AM
wes fowler

Cernobbio is one of the biggest towns on the lake. The town, sitting well up a hillside is predominantly industrial. The truly tiny old town, situated down at lakeside has an ancient church, some picturesque houses down narrow alleys and what we found to be the most charming, immaculate, reasonably priced small hotel in Italy, the lakeside Albergo Miralago (our spacious room had three balconies overlooking the lake!) There is a stunning view as you walk the landscaped promenade from the ferry landing to the old town. To your right you'll find colorful boats pulled up on the shoreline, in the distance the Villa d'Este and above, the 4400 foot Monte Bisbino which offers spectacular views of the lake while standing with one foot in Italy, one in Switzerland.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 09:31 AM
sam

I had no idea. Now you've got me wondering how to get to the top of Monte Bisbino. Is there a cable car? Is it a difficult, long hike? I truly appreciate all this wonderful info.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Kay

Wes fowler, I am soaking up your info too! Thanks. I have decided to go for it and am spending 4 days at Villa d'Este in May. You info on Cernobbio will be very helpful.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 04:33 PM
wes fowler

Sam,<BR>I don't think you can hike your way to the top of Monte Bisbino although it has a pilgrimage church at its top so obviously pilgrims get there (though probably from the upper town of Cernobbio rather than lakeside). I've driven to it; there's no cog railway. To follow the road to the top is a circuitous trip since the road wends its way through an adjacent town. My feeling is that once you're at the ferry landing and look up at this mountain that descends precipitously to the shoreline, you'll opt for the trek to Villa d'Este instead.