Search

Ferry question- length of time on ferry

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferry question- length of time on ferry

Hi-

My trip is fast approaching on June 12th... thanks to those who responded to a previous post of mine...

We finally just got our ferry confirmations from the agency we booked with... europeandestinations.com. However, I had a question regarding the length of time we're spending on these ferries in between islands. We were supposed to be booked on "high speed hydrofoils or catamarans" based on our itinerary we booked. Now that we've got our ferries confirmed, it seems like we're spending an awful long period of time on these ferries... I'm almost wondering if we should have flown instead.

We're booked on the Blue Star Ithaki from Athens to Mykonos on 6/14. This ferry ride is almost 4 1/2 hours! Is this right?? I thought we were on "high speed" ferries?? I went on youtube.com and the video of this particular ferry does NOT look high speed! We're also booked on business class and are listed as males. Is this going to be a problem considering we're females?? Are there really "classes" on these ferries?

From Mykonos to Santorini we're on the "sea runner" through Santorini Cruises and it's about 2 hours. I swear I've seen a ferry schedule that gets me between the 2 islands in about 30 minutes. We're also not leaving until 2:40pm. I called europeandestinations.com's customer service number to see if we could leave earlier but they said that's the only ferry on 6/18 between the 2 islands... is this true???

I guess my bottom line questions are... are these accurate length of ferry times between these destinations? Are my expectations for a "high speed ferry" completely off??? I guess I'm just a little bummed that so much time is being wasted on these ferries.
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:44 PM

It took us all day on a "slow ferry" from Mykonos to Santorini b/c they make a few stops on the way so your two hours seems good between those two islands.

I can't remember how long it took from Athens to Mykonos but I think it was longer than 4 hrs.
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:57 PM
J62

Google maps gives these distances

1. Mykonos - Naxos 42.4 km
2. Naxos - Ios 51.1 km
3. Ios - Thira 41.5 km

over 2hrs total sounds fast to me. 2hrs even would be 65km/hr. 30min would mean 260km/h, or the speed of a the fastest bullet trains.
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:58 PM
J62

No, I don't think your expectations of a high speed ferry are off. You just many not be fully aware of the distances you'll be traveling and any stops along.
Old May 30th, 2009, 03:47 PM

The Blue Star Ithaki is NOT a highspeed ferry, and it takes almost 5.5 hours, not 4.5 hours. You were misinformed. The Hellenic Seaways 'Highspeed 4' takes about 4 hours.

There is indeed a business section on the highspeed ferry but it makes no difference if your tickets say male or female, no one will notice and seating isn't segregated by gender.

2 hours between Mykonos and Santorni is fast. No way can you make the trip in 30 minutes.

There are 2 direct ferries between Mykonos and Sanotrini on June 18. http://www.openseas.gr/OPENSEAS/sear...21&Submit.y=11

You also have the option of taking the morning fast ferry at 10am from Mykonos to Paros in time to catch the larger Blue Star Car ferry when it stops on the way to Santorini at Noon. This route will actually get you to Santorini around 3pm, earlier than the direct highspeed.

Either your travel agent either dropped the ball or didn't have enough information to work with.
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:46 AM

The term "highspeed" is a bit misleading, because even the fastest can do only 38 knots. Don't be too worried that you are booked on Blue Star Ithaki - it's a modern ship, and I can think of no better introduction to the Greek Islands than standing on deck as the ship docks at the ports. You can sit in the comfortable business class lounge, and wander around the deck whenever you wish.

If you are already in Athens for a day or two, Piraeus is easier to reach than either the airport or Rafina. With no transfer to the airport, check-in procedures, wait for bags, etc, overall a ferry to Mykonos is nearly as fast as a flight.

Sea Runner, at two hours, is currently the fastest ferry between Mykonos and Santorini. No way could any ferry make the trip in 30 minutes.
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Wow. Thanks for all the great responses everyone! From the sounds of things, we're on probably the best ferries between those destinations. What can I say? I guess being a NYer and being used to fast paced everything, my expectations for "high speed" ferries were a bit off! I need to learn to relax, slow down, take in the view and go with the flow a bit more. haha I mean, it is vacation after all!