Ferry from Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead

Jun 18th, 1998, 08:11 PM
Ellen

Ferry from Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead

We will be vacationing in Ireland for 10 days this fall, and plan to spend 5 days in Wales. Has anyone used the ferry service between Dun Laoghaire and Holyhead, Wales?

Jun 22nd, 1998, 04:20 PM
Leslie

I rode the ferry from Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire and back. It was the day that Princess Diana was killed... I'll never forget it. All the TVs on the ferry were broadcasting the news.

Jun 22nd, 1998, 06:42 PM
Joanna

The ferry was easy to find and the trip across to Holyhead was smooth. There are facilities on board - even cabins if you want one. The ferry we rode on was fairly large. There wasn't much to see from the deck on the way over, so it's a good time to catch up on postcard writing.

Jun 23rd, 1998, 09:10 AM
Mel Roberts

I've travelled on the Dun Laoghaire-Holyhead Sealink ferry and the Dublin-Holyhead ferry. As far as I can recall, the crossing takes about 3.5 hours and on both occasions when I travelled, the sea was quite rough (it was difficult to walk) so if you haven't been on a ferry before take some travel sickness tablets! Also, there is now a catamaran service that travels between DL and Holyhead, and that takes only 1.5 hours to get across. My parents travelled on the 'SeaCat' earlier this year and they the ride was extremely smooth. It is more prone to being cancelled due to bad weather though, I think. Enjoy your trip in any case!

Jul 31st, 1998, 08:05 PM
Kate Woodward

I took the 1 1/2 hour boat--it was an easy ride. There are lots of ammenities on board, including the famous duty-free shopping. The cost was somewhere around 36 pounds (?), depending on whether you are doing a day trip (very cheap), a one-way, or a return ticket.