Ferry from Calais to Dover

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 08:43 PM
Alice

Ferry from Calais to Dover

I found the P and O site for ferry schedules and rates and was a bit surprised at the fare for a walk on passenger one-way. It quoted 39 GBP. This was much more that I expected. Can anyone tell me if this is the going rate to cross the channel? Is there a less expensive ferry co. to go with to make the crossing?

Your assist is appreciated. Alice

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 09:51 PM
wendy

I heard a rumour about day-return trips for about a pound - they expect you to come back the same day.

I bought a round trip ticket at the youth hostel for 25 GBP, others who were staying there hitched a ride with car passengers - the fee is per car, not per passenger.

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 12:20 AM
Jan

You could try Sea France ferries (www.seafrance.co.uk). I just had a quick look at their web site and they do day returns for foot passengers for 5, 5 day returns are 17 and a standard return is 34.

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 08:53 AM
kate

In May I will be travelling from Calais to Dover one way as a foot passenger. We will be arriving at Calais' train station and need to be in Dover before noon so we chose the fastest crossing (40 minutes)which is Hoverspeed.
Yesterday I booked and purchased tickets online w/Hoverspeed. The total price for 2 was 47.04 gbp (includes a 96p internet booking discount).
If you read the fine print you'll notice the discounted/cheap fares are only available to passengers making a return trip without luggage.
If you book online, a confirmation will be sent to your email address. You'll need the confirmation number to pick up your tickets at the Hoverspeed Calais terminal.
After I booked I called the very helpful Hoverspeed Helpline for bus info (from Calais Ville train station to the terminal).
Hoverspeed web address is: www.hoverspeed.co.uk
Another useful site with loads of Calais shopping and ferry information is: www.day-tripper.net

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 09:25 AM
Alice

Thanks so much to all who replied. Guess I'll do a little more research. I thought I had read somewhere that Hoverspeed/Hovercraft(?) was no longer going to do crossings. I must have misread.

I just knew there had to be something less expensive!! Again, Merci, Alice