Reload this Page >

Ferries to Ireland

Search

Ferries to Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 08:11 AM
Howard

Ferries to Ireland

We are driving around England/Wales and plan to bop over to Southern Ireland for a week and then back to England and fly out of Heathrow. <BR> Are reservations required to get on ferries and which port has the most sailings to give maximum flexibility? Then how long a drive to Heathrow from the suggested port in England/Wales? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Howard

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 08:37 AM
Angela

Howard <BR>Stena Line run regular ferries from Holyhead in Wales (major port) to Dublin. At this time of year reservations would probably not be necessary. I would always reserve if possible though. The sea is usually quite rough on this route. Nice chance to see Dublin also. <BR>It would take 5-7 hours to drive to Holyhead from Heathrow (depending on your driving speed). To my shame it would only take me about 4 hours. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps <BR>Angela <BR>

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 08:41 AM
Angela

Howard <BR>ps- their web site which I have just found is <BR>www.stenaline.co.uk

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 11:30 AM
Cathy

Howard, <BR>I had some friends who planned to do what you were planning but found it cheaper and quicker to fly instead of sailing. So I would suggest avoid sailing - too expensive and weather may not be favourable and also your rental car company may not allow you to bring the car out of the United Kingdom so the alternative is to fly with Ryanair - they are a cheap no frills airline that fly throughout Europe with main hubs at Dublin, Standstead and other central European cities but they also fly from Cardiff in Wales and many of the main British cities - check them out at www.ryanair.ie. <BR> <BR>Have a good time, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 02:28 PM
Ophelia

Easyjet is even cheaper than Ryan Air (www.easyjet.com). <BR> <BR>