Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ferries and hydrofoils to the Greek Islands

Jul 29th, 2001, 02:29 PM
Karen

My husband and I are planning a trip to Athens and then to the Greek Islands (Mykonos, Naxos, and Santorini). I am confused about the optimal method to get to Mykonos from Athens, which will be our 1st stop. It sounds like I have a choice between leaving from Piraeus or Rafina. I have read that some ferries can get to Mykonos in 2 hours, but provide a very uncomfortable ride. Which type of ferry or hydrofoil are best, not only in terms of speed but in terms of fun, comfort and/or views? Which port should we leave from, Rafina or Piraeus? Thanks for any advice

Jul 29th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Erica

Hi Karen

If your priority is the view, then travel by sea is the way to go. However, given that ferry schedules can be rather erratic (particularly given wind conditions), flying is a very convenient option - especially to Santorini which is quite far. We flew from Athens to Mykonos, then to Santorini and back to Athens - each less than 1/2 hour in duration. Flights were not terribly expensive (about USD $60 each) and were such a timesaver that I heartily recommend this mode of transportation. Have a great trip!

Jul 30th, 2001, 03:58 PM
KS

Karen-

My husband I went on the identical trip last fall and after much research we chose to fly rather than take the ferries. I was very happy we did becuse once we got to Greece there was a ferry strike. The ferry from Piraeus to Santorini would have taken over 8 hours and for us that was valuable time we would rather spend exploring Santorini vs. sitting on a ferry. The flight was about 45 minutes and cost $65 per person. Once we got to the island we took a boot ride around the island to get the effect of seeing the caldera from the water.

When we return to Greece (and we will) I will definately fly to the islands vs. taking the ferry. My time and comfort is worth the couple of extra bucks for a plane ticket. Enjoy Greece!

Jul 30th, 2001, 08:04 PM
Kay

Hi Karen,
We also did the exact same trip about 2 years ago. We flew from Athens to Mykonos, catamaran to Naxos, catamaran to Santorini then flew back to Athens. I would do the same again as it saved us a huge amount of time. The flights were only about half an hour each. The ferry from Athens to Mykonos is about 8 hrs and Santorini to Athens about 13 hrs. To get to Naxos and then Santorini, we had the choice of ferry or catamaran. The ferry is about half the price but twice as slow. The cat was completely enclosed with comfortable seating but if you want to be out in the open air, a ferry would suit you better. To me it seemed like a waste of time sitting on a ferry when we could have that day on an island.

Also, we really enjoyed a day trip from Mykonos to the island of Delos. We caught a ferry from the harbour, about 40 min ride, then paid an entrance fee to go onto the island. Delos is uninhabited and full of historic ruins, temples, old mosaic floors, etc. It's all outdoors, and was very hot and dusty when we were there. There's a shop to buy drinks and souvenirs. Hope you have a great time.
Kay

Jul 31st, 2001, 07:08 AM
Lisa

Thanks for all the good advice. I booked my trip to Greece this morning.
Question - Where or when is the best place/time to purchase inter-island plane tickets
Thanks Again?

Jul 31st, 2001, 01:32 PM
Celeste

My daughter and I traveled from Athens to Piraeus to Paros to Mykonos to Rafina to Athens by ferries and never had a problem, although our hydrofoil from Paros to Mykonos was on rough water and a little scary. I heartily agree with the poster who mentioned Delos - visiting Delos was definitely the highlight of our entire trip!

Jul 31st, 2001, 04:54 PM
Erica

Hi Karen

I would definitely advise booking inter-island flights in advance, as seats go quickly (small planes.) We used Dolphin Hellas Travel in Athens to book our hotel in Athens and inter-island flights - did all over the internet/email. They delivered tickets to hotel for our arrival in Athens.

Aug 1st, 2001, 02:01 PM
Jason

Does anyone know if you can get ferry pass that will take you to, let's say island D from A via B and C. Can one get off and get back on the 'circuit'?
I am leaving for Greece in a couple weeks and someone told me this can be done.

Is it possible to get plane tickets last minute? If so, how much more can I expect to pay?