Felix the Cat in Paris?

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Jen

Felix the Cat in Paris?

I'm hoping someone can help me. I'll be in Paris in December, and would like to know if there are any shops (other than one I know of on St. Germain near St. Michel) that carry cartoon stuff - namely Felix the Cat memoribilia. My father is a huge fan, and I'm hoping to find something wonderful for him for Christmas. Felix was popular there in the 1930s, and I've purchased some good things there before.

Thanks for your help!

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Giovanni

Jen,
If you can read French, I suggest you go to www.fr.yahoo.com and searching for "Felix le chat" or "Felix le chat AND <whatever the French word is for memorabilia>" and see what you can find there.
Buona fortuna,
Giovanni

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 02:42 PM
Patrick

I can't give you any really specific advice except that I saw quite a few Felix the Cat items at the big Paris flea market -- mainly in booths in the large building with the glass skylight near the entrance. I only notice because my father's name was Felix (thank God I'm not a junior) and people used to give him a lot of Felix the Cat stuff.

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Jen

Thanks for the responses!

Patrick - which flea market? and where? do you remember the days of the week it runs? I obviously have not visited the flea markets yet!

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 04:48 PM
Patrick

Now I really feel dumb. The really big one, the main one. Near Clignancourt? Blocks and blocks of antique booths, big buildings of individual collectors, sidewalk booths of various junk. That one. Can someone help me here please?

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 05:25 PM
mimi taylor

That's exactly what it is called,Clignancourt.The differentallees have names, for instance, allee 2 stands 58 60 etc sells furniture(sells to Pierre Deux)

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 06:24 PM
Jen

Great! Mimi - can you tell me where this is in Paris? Patrick, Mimi - is there only one building like the one you describe Patrick?

Thanks SO much! I'm looking forward to my treasure hunt!

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 06:34 PM
Jen

OK - did a quick search and found where this is...

Patrick (or anyone)- do you recall which of the markets that building would be found:

Marche Cambo
Marche Serpette
Marche Paul Berte
Marche Dauphine

Or Rue Voltaire.

It seems as some of these deal specifically in furniture...which would deal with more what I'm looking for?

Thank you SO much!

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 07:02 PM
Patrick

I really don't have a clue as to the name of the building. It is a two story place, open to the street in front and has a couple of food vendors there. It's a fairly impressive building. Inside there is a balcony level that goes lengthwise down the center. Several rows of spaces on the ground floor. Mainly in the back of the building were some real retro booths, furniture and items from the 50's and 60's in particular. That's where I'm thinking I saw the Felix stuff. Haven't been there for two years now, so I can't guarantee anything, but it seems like as good an option as any in Paris.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 12:04 PM
Christina

That probably is your best bet, I know a few shops that have comic books, including old ones, but I wouldn't think they'd necessarily have memorablia items. The flea market at Clignancourt is called Saint Ouen and is on the north edge of Paris near Porte de Clignancourt metro stop. Here are a couple good web sites that describe it and give directions, there are lots of antique shops there: www.curiositel.tm.fr/saint_ouen
www.lespuces.fr

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 06:28 AM
Jen

Thanks for all of your help...

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Shanna

Do be careful about "felix the cat." About 30 years ago there was a naughty (to say the least) film about felix. Let's say he was up to his tom-catting tricks with the ladies. I don't know if the film made it to France, but for some reason it seems to me it was foreign-made. You don't want to give people the wrong idea.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Walter

Shanna: No, that was "Fritz the Cat". www.bouska.com/fritz/
Regards, Walter

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Shanna

Walter, indeed! Remember that, do you? I guess I was too young to differentiate; and all these years I thought someone had corrupted little Felix. Maybe I saw a take-off on Fritz, using Felix (Mad Magazine, perhaps). Or did Fritz resemble Felix? A cousin, maybe? Are we sure it wasn't Fritz, son of Felix?

Obviously, I have little inclination to work today. My time would probably be better spent taking a cat nap.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Christina

huh, Fritz the cat was popular with lots of stoned people I knew (guys, mainly), very popular reading while passing the bong. Don't think he would ever be parodied by Mad magazine. One of the guys who did the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers moved to Paris, coincidentally, not sure if he's still there. Now I don't know what happened to Robert Crumb (Fritz, all of Zap Comix). I kind of liked Mr Natural myself