Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Feedback plz: add Girona to Barcelona & Basque trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you to all who've provided such great advice for this trip and our others over the years.

I thought I had our upcoming Spain trip nailed down: 7nights/6 days in BCN, driving through the Pyrenees (overnighting in Roda de Isabena en route) then over the French border, through Pau to San Sebastián (4or5 days) with a few day trips, then wrapping up with 2nights in Bilbao... But I keep hearing how great Girona is and am now wondering if we should shave a night or two off of BCN to add this time for Girona. Would appreciate feedback. We like to travel in a laid back, pretend we live there - not tick all the tourism boxes - style which is why we tend to stay more days in one spot...

Thx in advance!
Ann
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 11:19 PM

With 6 days in Barcelona, yes, you can add Girona as a day trip, but there is no need to spend more than a day there unless there is something specific you want to do.

2 days in Bilbao is almost enough, but I would go for 3 or 4.

Pau is interesting, as is the surrounding area, but to actually enjoy it, I would go for a minimun of 4 nights, if not 5, by eliminating a couple of days in Barcelona. If you eliminate two days in Barcelona, you can still visit Girona as a day trip.
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 05:12 AM

I agree I think Girona is just for the day, cute place and nice to walk around (and i like the wall that you can walk on that goes around parts of the city) but I don't think you need a prolonged visit there.
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses - and apologies for having duplicate (though different headed) questions on this board. I had trouble posting last night - received an error notice from Fodors that made it appear like my efforts to post were in vain (and then came to see this a.m. that 2 made it rather than the intended 1; whoops).
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses - and apologies for having duplicate (though different headed) questions on this board. I had trouble posting last night - received an error notice from Fodors that made it appear like my efforts to post were in vain (and then came to see this a.m. that 2 made it rather than the intended 1; whoops).
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 07:33 PM

Not a problem! Happens quite often.