Search

February 2006 Itinerary Help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
February 2006 Itinerary Help

Hey everyone,
My wife and I are planning on taking our first trip to Italy in Feb. '06. We want to hit "the big three" with 8 nights.
Thinking of the following itinerary:
1. Fly into Venice Overnight
2. 3 nights in Venice
3. Train to Florence
4. 2 nights in Florence
5. Train to Rome
6. 3 nights in Rome
Does this sound good? We are debating how to break the nights down. Maybe adding a night to Florence and taking one from Venice so we can do a day trip to Siena or something?
For that time of year is one city better than another? We aren't enormous art lovers so we don't have to see every museum there is. Any comments would be appreciated greatly.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 08:42 AM

1. Fly into Venice Overnight. Since you are arriving in the AM, get some sleep on the plane.

2. 2 nights in Venice. Start touring right after check in. Plan on leaving for late on the third day for Florence.

3. Train to Florence. Sometime on the
third day

4. 2 nights in Florence. Depending on when you arrive, start touring after check in. Most of Florance can be seen in 1 very quick day, but two is more relaxing.

5. Train to Sienna, stow luggage at the train station. tour Sienna. Then train to Rome.

6. 4 nights in Rome

Whatever you decide, try to get reservations everywhere you can. Why waste time in line while you can be sightseeing. Also, decide what all you wish to see in each town and how long it will take and arrange accordingly.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 08:52 AM

I think your plans are perfect. My only concern for you is that seeing Venice first, you might not want to leave. I think it's the most magical place on earth. I'm not an art person myself, but don't miss the churches. I think the art in there is much more impressive than the museums.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks...any concern with spending 3 nights in Venice over Florence. Especially with the winter weather.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 09:29 AM

3 nights in Venice and 2 in Florence will be fine.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 09:40 AM

I'd try to take evening trains, it won't interfere with sightseeing.
You check out of your hotel in the morning, have them store your luggage, spend the day where you are, collect your luggage, take an early evening train to the next place. Start off fresh in the new city the next morning, with a whole day before you.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 09:53 AM

My husband and I spent 2 weeks in Italy during February a few years back. It was a great month to travel mostly because of the absence of crowds (except Venice) and the ease of booking a pensione. We were in Venice during Carnivale which I strongly suggest. The crowds may be overwhelming but it is truly a sight. The winter rains did cause much flooding however in Venice. Two nights in Florence is sufficient and personally, there is never enough time in Rome. Dress accordingly. We hit an unusually wet and cold winter. We also stayed one night in Verona, on the train route, which was very nice.