Fears!!

Old Oct 17th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fears!!

Does anyone know how well Xanax works while flying?? I am going on my first flight the end of this month and I already have anxiety ontop of fear of flying. My doc prescribed me some Xanax to take and I took 1 last night to try it out but I was already sleepy so it wasnt long before I was asleep so I dont really know how good it will keep me calm
Help!
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

And by the way this is a 9 hour flight from Atlant GA to Germany (over water) which is even more nerve racking
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 08:00 PM

Xanax is nice lol, it does take away anxiety without knocking you out or making you dopey. It just calms down the butterflies and keeps your mouth from getting all dry .. (can you tell I have had my share of panic attacks?)
I wait until I am ready and waiting for the car to the airport, then I take one and only one..gets you there with the least amount of anxiety.
Don't mistake butterflies from excitement and anticipation for anxiety, some of that is a good thing to feel
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.... I am just so nervous, I always said I would NEVER fly but this is a once in a lifetime chance
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 08:09 PM

Once upon a time, I did not mind flying , then I started disliking it, then I began to hate it LOL
It still does not keep me from flying..I would rather have sweaty palms and fly - than sit at home
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 11:22 PM

I absolutely HATE to fly. Never used to be that way but the last 10 years or so, I just hate it but it seems to be something I have to do to get to the places I want to go. I don't do the drug thing...I don't need anything thats going to make we whackier than I already am. I DO meditate and do visualizations and wear about 10 angel pins on my jacket. You have my encouragement and sympathies. You'll be fine, the flight will be smooth and wonderful, and your trip will be amazing.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 12:22 AM

As someone who *used* to have a severe flying phobia (panic attacks, hyperventilation, etc. - which developed "out of nowhere" after many many stress-free flights), I can recommend the excellent online course (free) available here: www.fearofflyinghelp.com
I'm not advertising in any way - I was just astonished that it worked so effectively. I'm very relaxed about flying now.

By all means, take the Xanax to help you feel calmer, but it is really worth addressing the root cause of your fear. If you can learn to relax and feel comfortable flying, think of the world of possibilities that will open up to you
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 02:28 AM

GAGrl7236 - you sound exactly like my wife and I do sympathize with you. She has anxiety and motion sickness problems. She cannot ride in any kind of vehicle as a passenger without getting sick. If she is driving or has control of the vehicle she is OK but they won't let her fly the planes so she is in trouble when it comes to flying. After several bad experiences flying to and from Germany (trying wrist bands, nausea patches, ginger root, etc) I think we have found a combination that works for her - Meclizine Hydrochloride for motion sickness and Xanax for anxiety. In the past she has broken into a hard sweat even before the flight and fought the problems the entire flight and for a day or so afterwards. For our last trip together in 02 she took the combination I mentioned just prior to the flight and bingo - no barfbags or sweat towels needed. She did very well. I also ordered her a special fruit plate instead of the regular meal in-flight and that also worked well for her. Good luck... Ben
http://www.bensbauernhof.com/benandfamily2002.html
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 05:08 AM
ira

Hi gag,

I sympathize with your plight.

I suggest an aisle seat.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 05:38 AM

I am so sorry for this situation you have. I use to love to fly ! Then I had children and became phobic.
I remember my first flight post -children. As the plane took off I was weeping But, with each successive flight it got a tiny bit better.

The moment came for me when I realized that no matter how much I worried, it would not keep the plane aloft.I had to learn to give up the feeling that I HAD to have total control .
Since then , it has been better.

I still get anxious though when I have my children on the plane with me

as far as the Xanax. I have found that one will knock me right out, but breaking it into half is better for me.
You do not want to take it too soon, before boarding as you will need to function.
Try a half when leaving, then take a full one when you get onto the plane.
They usually start to work within 20 mins.

Enjoy the trip. It will go fine!
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 05:42 AM

Courage is feeling the fear and doing it anyway! Good for you.I've used Xanex and I think it could work for you,unfortunately it's tough to know until you're in the situation.