Reload this Page >

FEAR OF FREEZING

Search

FEAR OF FREEZING

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 1998, 12:03 AM
Alfred

FEAR OF FREEZING

I going to Europe from Dec 16th to 31st. Vsiting - Paris, Amsterdam,Hamburg, Copenhagen, & Goteburg ( visiting a friend ). <BR> <BR>Am I going to be so cold that it'll spoil the trip or can it still be done? <BR> <BR>Any suggestions for the trip ( my first ) would be much appreciated.

Old Dec 7th, 1998, 05:10 AM
Pamela

Hi Alfred, <BR> <BR>I've lived in Hamburg for four years, and although it's gets plenty cold, winter here has so far been a lot milder than the four Minnesota and one Massachusetts winters I've lived through. <BR> <BR>Hamburg can be very wet in winter, so I'd recommend good walking shoes that keep your feet dry and some kind of Goretex-like jacket. <BR> <BR>When in Hamburg, check out Grönigers or The Factory, where you'll have a real German beer garden type experience. If you're in Hamburg before Christmas, try the Christmas markets at the Gänsemarkt or on Mönckebergstraße. <BR> <BR>Have fun, and if you have any questions about Hamburg, feel free to email me. <BR> <BR>Pamela

Old Dec 7th, 1998, 05:11 AM
Pamela

Hi Alfred, <BR> <BR>I've lived in Hamburg for four years, and although it's gets plenty cold, winter here has so far been a lot milder than the four Minnesota and one Massachusetts winters I've lived through. <BR> <BR>Hamburg can be very wet in winter, so I'd recommend good walking shoes that keep your feet dry and some kind of Goretex-like jacket. <BR> <BR>When in Hamburg, check out Grönigers or The Factory, where you'll have a real German beer garden type experience. If you're in Hamburg before Christmas, try the Christmas markets at the Gänsemarkt or on Mönckebergstraße. <BR> <BR>Have fun, and if you have any questions about Hamburg, feel free to email me. <BR> <BR>Pamela

Old Dec 7th, 1998, 06:09 AM
Diane

Washington Post's travel section Sun 12/6 had an article on fleece and other winterizing travel garments that pack well. www.washingtonpost.com click on the Travel section. Of course it was 80 degrees here in Washington this weekend, so it wasn't as "grabbing" a topic as it would normally have been, but the suggestions are right what you're looking for!

Old Dec 7th, 1998, 10:29 AM
Bob Brown

I lived in Kiel, Germany, years ago. It got so cold that the harbor froze over. <BR>But the real cold weather did not start until after Christmas. <BR> <BR>You did not say where you lived, so it is a little difficult to make suggestions on augmenting your clothing. <BR> <BR>First, be prepared for cold rain. <BR>Secondly, be prepared for slushy snow. <BR> <BR>My standard cold weather outfit consists of the following: <BR> <BR>1. lined chinos from LL Bean <BR>2. a Polarfleece 300 pullover <BR>3. a heavy duty Goretex shell <BR>4. gloves <BR>5. shoes with heavy socks <BR>And for Hamburg and Amsterdam, an umbrella might get you by if you don't have the Goretex equipment. <BR> <BR>If you can keep your head warm and dry, and your feet warm, you should be OK with normal jackets and stuff from home. <BR> <BR>Be warned, German kids make fun of earmuffs; at least that was my experience. I had used ear muffs at home, but I soon ditched them one day when two German kids behind me were clapping their hands over their ears, giggling, and saying <BR>"Ach!! Mein Ohren sind furchtbar kalt." <BR>Ohren = ears and kalt = cold and the giggles were international. <BR> <BR>A hood might be in order; and to heck with the editorial comments if you want to be comfortable. Germans may have frost proof ears; I don't. <BR> <BR>Good luck, because even at 34 F, that wind driven rain seems to penetrate deeply.

Old Dec 7th, 1998, 05:57 PM
Donna

I live in New England and have been to Europe in the winter. Would definitely recommend outfitting yourself with warm outerwear so you'll be comfortable enough to enjoy being out and about. My down jacket with hood kept me toasty in Switzerland. Agree with having warm socks and a hat and gloves. L.L. Bean and Lands End have terrific selections. Be sure to get a jacket that it long enough to cover your rear end. And, it's best to stick to dark (and not bright) colors. They're very conservative in Europe (for the most part).