Search

fear of flying

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 08:08 PM
natasha

fear of flying

Terrified of flying(this fear is founded on a very unpleasant flying experience I had two years ago) . Have a plane to catch tomorrow to Paris. Need last minute advice on conquering this anxiety. <BR>P.S. Was prescribed Ativan...But will it work....? <BR>Thank you all <BR>natasha <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 08:38 PM
donna

Natasha- Iknow my yoga teacher would say BREATHE- when you focus internally on your breath, you can tune out all external factors (at least for a while!) <BR>Try breathing in and out through your nose and count to four for each in and out- slowly and deliberately-- Also try this special relaxing breath- Breath in (normally) through nose for a count of 2 , hold for 8 (work up to it if you need to) and release for 4- repeat at least ten times- concentrating on breathing can really get you through an otherwise uncomfortable feeling. I also suggest going to sleep and skipping the meal (bring yourself a snack for when you wake up) . I also bring aromatherapy with me- I like chamomile for relaxing and peppermint for smelling! good luck -everything will br ok. dbl

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 07:26 AM
natasha

Donna, thank you very much for your advice. <BR>I actually was thinking of taking some yoga classes, and am determined to do so, once I SAFELY get back home in two weeks. <BR> Thank you again <BR>natasha <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 07:57 AM
ThankG@d

Natasha, <BR> <BR>XANAX. It was created to relieve all types of anxiety. Believe me, it works. Nothing worse than having a panic attack in an airplane. A low dosage of 5mg will do the trick. <BR>Good luck.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 09:30 AM
julie

I have flown most of my life, and still have anxiety, especially at take off. To give in to these fears means you can never have the experience of travel. I usually have a drink as soon as I can, or sometimes take a "doxipin", smallest dose. then recite Lord's Prayer, and remember that you are, in truth, really very safe. I believe it is best to confront these fears. While the fear never goes completly away, it does get easier.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 09:37 AM
Janice

Breathe, pray, and concentrate on your destination ahead. Especially, focus your heart and your head on why you're going, and what you hope to learn (about yourself!) in your travelling, and knowing that this fear is part of the learning process. Drugs are okay if the problem becomes chronic, but the poster who recommended confronting the fear gives good advice! <BR>Maybe some of us kind Fodorites will pray for you too!

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 09:47 AM
Helena

Natasha, I find that sometimes my fears seem less daunting when I share them with others. If the person next to you is traveling with you, or if they seem like the sympathetic type, tell them! At least they'll understand why you're holding your breath... <BR> <BR>I don't like flying either. Get engrossed in an interesting conversation, it'll take your mind off it. <BR> <BR>Good luck!

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 05:51 AM
Gwen

I travel a fair bit - leaving on Friday for my 6th trip since last August - and I REALLY don't like flying either. It makes me extremely anxious and I usually stress about it for a few days before I leave. I bought a relaxation tape at a local bookstore that seems to help a little bit - I take it and my walkman (plus spare batteries!) with me in my carry on whenever I fly.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 06:22 AM
nancy

I developed my fear of flying after my children were born. <BR>Until then ,I thought nothing of hopping a plane. <BR>Infact found it all quite fun. <BR>Now, I am sure each flight I am on will crash, very irrational ,but similar to my fear that as soon as I laND IN c

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 06:33 AM
nancy

BOY, <BR>This will teach me to try and deal with business on the phone at the same time I am typing! <BR>Message zoomed off into space before I could stop it. <BR>I was saying ,I also have this fear that as soon as I land in California, the Big One will hit. <BR>But I tell myself that these are just fears, and that most of the time everything will be fine. <BR>But I find it especially difficult to flying with my children , hiding each gasp from them every time the plane gives a tiny jiggle. <BR>But I can also understand when bad things happen on flights! <BR>We were flying into West Palm Beach for my parents 50th anniversary. <BR>Almost on the ground when the pilot sharply pulls us bsck up. <BR>It appears a tiny private jet wanted to be in the same place we were! <BR>Close calls are very scary. <BR>So, Drugs, Breathing deeply all seem to be good advice. <BR>I always console myself also with the thought that probably half the passangers are also as scared as I am. <BR>Misery loves company . <BR>Nancy <BR>I bet you are already in Paris enjoying yourself!

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 08:16 AM
Debbie

The worst thing you can do is to"have a drink".If there ever was an emergency, you want to have normal reaction times and be "with it" in order to save yourself or others. I like the ideas of yoga,relaxation tapes,etc.Try sitting next to a love one or a stranger who can guide you through the tough moments along with going into the cockpit before takeoff to meet pilots and verbalize concerns to them.The flight suddenly becomes a "more personalized" option rather than just strangers flying you!

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 08:51 AM
Helena

One other note: on United, you can request headphones and listen to the air traffic control on channel 9. As odd as it may seem, you'll realize that there are lots of planes out there and they have a pretty good system of keeping them far apart, you'll hear advanced warning of any turbulence, and you'll see that it's actually fairly well organized. I hate flying, get clammy hands every time I'm on a plane (which is very often), and somehow found listening to this to be very soothing. Odd, I know. United is the only airline I'm aware of that does this.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 08:59 AM
kam

I don't fear flying anymore now that my children are grown. Isn't that strange how it happens? I had a friend who had hypnosis it was so bad. During the course of this the hypnotist suggested that she try to associate all of the sounds, movement, increase in altitude with climbing a beautiful mountain in a train. Also, to keep her eyes fixed on something inside the place that was stationery and not look out as the plane gains altitude. That helped her with takeoff at least. I suppose tranquilizers would work but as another friend said about them and alcohol--what if something did happen to the plane--could I react fast enough to save myself?

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 09:27 AM
dan woodlief

Knowing that I was going to Paris would do it for me. Do some more guidebook reading and trip planning on the way to take your mind off of it and put you in a positive frame of mind.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 12:09 PM
Pharmacist

Natasha, <BR>The Ativan should help, it is in the same drug class as Xanax and both are benzodiazepines. Ativan has a longer duration of action than Xanax so it should be better for an overseas flight. I think Thank God for Drugs meant 0.5mg of Xanax, as 5 mg would be an overdose. You should not drink alcohol with the Ativan. Take the tablet 1/2 - 1 hour before your flight with 8 ounces of liquid (not alcohol) or food so it will be pushed through your stomach quicker and absorbed faster. You could take it after you check in if you will be anxious waiting to board the flight. <BR>Good luck

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 12:16 PM
John

Along the lines of Helena's comments above: While I've fortunately never had any pronounced fear of flying, (insects are another story) I've now flown enough (including a lot of flights in the front seats of small planes and a few in the jump seats in bigger equipment) that I've been able to de-mystify the process. As with listening to the pilots and controllers on the headphones, I think it's really calming just to know more about how the plane moves, what the various noises are all about, how the flight is controlled both from the cockpit and the ground, and so on. Knowledge is the fear-killer, I read somewhere, and I really think it's true where flying is concerned. As with overhearing the radio traffic, knowing that the big bump right after takeoff is the landing gear extending (no ground under it) or that the reduced noise and sense of deceleration during climb-out is to lessen the noise on the ground, etc., is empowering, because it makes sense. I may be wrong, but don't counselors often treat serious phobias through gradual familiarization and "de-sensitization" steps? Maybe learning more about airplane and airline operations can help dispell the sense of isolation and fear, and replace it with the feeling that one has some amount of power in the circumstances. I also think it makes one a better consumer, too. <BR> <BR>Which is not to say that medication or meditation don't have their places, of course.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 12:42 PM
Been There

Natasha, there were 10 yrs. I didn't go anywhere that I couldn't take a train or car to get to. I missed a lot, but I know what you're going through. Got past it by living through lots of flights -- and the first one is the toughest, but you'll get through it. <BR> <BR>First: take the Ativan -- it'll make you drowzy and give you a sense you've got some control over the panic. <BR> <BR>Second: figure that you'll unavoidably have a few moments of panic, like just before you board, about 20-40 minutes into the flight, etc. -- and just tell yourself to expect them and wait 'til they pass, which I guarantee they will. Don't get into worrying about whether you'll keep having panic attacks, because the fear of fear keeps it alive. You may have them -- but they'll go away and pretty soon you'll have had a victory over this flight -- which should make it a little easier to get on the next one. <BR> <BR>Third: distract yourself. I use earphones and music (or sometimes comedy tapes) throughout the flight so I'm partially in another world. <BR> <BR>Fourth: remind yourself that this time yesterday you were on the ground in the US (right? or wherever) and this time tomorrow you will be on the ground in France. It's only "X" number of hours flying out of your entire life, and you've had your bad experience! <BR> <BR>(When all else fails, I imagine that the plane is actually on the ground and what I see out the window is a movie!)

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 01:18 PM
paciano diaz

Nataha: <BR> <BR>I was/am terrified of flying but I have gotten a lot better! I use to very terrified the entire flight and sometimes days before the actual trip. The more I travel for pleasure or business the better I am getting at it. Basically this is how I did it. I asked myself why I was such as sissy about flying and that if I did not learn to master my fear of flying or anything else (like heights),I would miss out on a lot in life. The last thing I want is to be in my death bed saying I wish I could have...... Anyway, In the beginning, I would start to panic during turbulance. I truly thought the plane was coming down. With experience, I learn that turbulance is just that turbulance. Then I said to myself, ok the next worse cenario is to have an emergency landing and what are the chances of that! Have not had one yet. Then I said to myself, worse than that is for the plan to go down and even then there have been survivors. Finally I said to myself, If this kite is going down, it is out of my control! Nothing I can do about it! Might as well relax. Personal belief in a higher being is very helpful too. Well, I have gotten to the point that most the most part it is only the take off that bothers me and sometimes the landing if it is not smooth. I hope this helps because I know how you feel.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 03:04 PM
greg

I did not think much of flying when I used to fly alot on business. Then after one trip when I had to take three flights in the row thru a snow storm skimming over the Rockies, I did not care to fly anymore. <BR> <BR>Then I had several friends and relatives pass away from various forms of cancer. After seeing what they had to go thru before passing away, flying did not seem to be big deal at all anymore. <BR> <BR>Statistically flying is very safe. Even within my limited experience, I had many close calls driving on highways and cities. I am still amazed I have escaped that many fatal auto accidents. Even if I get caught in once in a tens of million chance of being in an airplane accident, I would still choose that over getting a terminal cancer, which I believe is a far more likely event.