Reload this Page >

FDA ban on raw-milk cheese(s)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 01:22 PM
wendy

Has anyone heard how close the FDA ban on raw milk products is in actually happening? If we can put labels on cigarettes and alcohol that it is dangerous to your health, why not cheese? Surely I can decide for myself if it will be good for me or not...<BR><BR>What to do without those wonderful products!?<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 02:40 PM
Meg

Wendy, if the FDA tries to ban imported raw milk cheeses I'll lead the march to Washington in protest. If I fail then it's my best excuse to move to Europe.<BR><BR>I think there would be rioting in the US!

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 02:46 PM
Dick

Hard though it may be to believe, the gnomes in Belgium who run the EU are actually considering banning raw milk cheeses themselves. Mort Rosenblum discusses this topic, and several others related to the decline of French gastronomy, in his excellent book "A Goose in Toulouse". Depressing reading, I'm afraid.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 03:53 PM
xxx

I just bought some raw-milk French reblochon from a store at home (US) owned by a Belgian. So far not banned I guess.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 02:05 PM
wendy

Not banned YET... I called my lawyer and he told me the process is...they are doing the 'research' to prove raw milk cheeses are unsafe for us to eat. Once the research is done, it will be listed on the public register, and then public hearings can take place. I then called the FDA who promptly told me, public outrage will not win over public safety?<BR><BR>The Washington Post did a full food section on this, that restaurants, dairy farmers etc... are outraged and petitions are being circulated. Food and Wine and Gourmet have also listed a web site where you can add your name to that petition on -line... <BR><BR>Someone else told me the big companies like Kraft are the ones funding the research...<BR><BR>On the list to be banned are (not exclusive) to:<BR><BR>Tomme<BR>Parmesan-Romano<BR>Comte<BR>Bleus<BR>Cantals<BR>Some Chevres<BR><BR>etc...<BR><BR>If anyone knows something concrete, please let me know? I'm in DC, not a problem to march with Meg to the Supreme Court!?<BR><BR>Wendy<BR>

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 02:17 PM
cmt

Wendy, I posted above as "xxx" (re the reblochon) and just rechecked the thread for any newer news. Is the proposed ban to be on UNPASTEURIXED milk cheeses only (like reblochon), or does it go even beyond that? I thought unpasteurized milk cheeses currently HAVE to be labeled as such and I haven't seen too many cheeses with that label. Have you read of any genuine, substantial health risks from this type of cheese? (I saw plenty of healthy looking people in France buying and eating it.)

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 02:29 PM
wendy

From what I understand, I DO have the updated information and sadly Reblochon IS on the list.<BR><BR>Again, it isn't being discussed in OUTRAGE right now because it is subdued by being in only the 'research' phase...but what isn't being discussed is once the research is done...too sad and too bad! <BR><BR>Surely, something can be done!?<BR><BR>You are also welcome to call the FDA and try to get more information than I have.. they also said, "It encourages producers to 'learn to pasteurize'"<BR><BR>I don't want to be an alarmist, but this is ridiculous.<BR><BR>I'm having dinner with another food and wine group here in DC tonight, and in a very nice way, I will bring this up as there are several lawyers in the group and hopefully someone has ONE concrete answer!<BR><BR>I often note your intelligent posts and I respect your opinion greatly. I'd love for you to be on my side of this and help me figure out what to do?<BR><BR>I'm often in France, at least once a month, and sure they are still eating it, but I saw the SERIOUS toll it took in Italy, there are FEW outdoor markets left, health regulations have really changed life...and my fish monger is Paris told me they are really under the gun and holding their breath.<BR><BR>Thanks CMT-<BR>Wendy

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Rex

Carol,<BR><BR>I want raw milk cheeses to stay as much as the next person, especially Reblochon and Tomme...<BR><BR>but you know the pedant in me - - and I couldn't help but notice the slip in logic in your assertion that you "saw plenty of healthy looking people in France buying and eating it" - - <BR><BR>There could easily be foods that present unreasonable health risks, yet get consumed by healthy looking people. <BR><BR>People who have the misfortune of eating<BR><BR>* hamburger that is grossly undercooked and carries E. coli O157:H7<BR><BR>* improperly prepared blow fish<BR><BR>* oysters from harvesting areas where hepatitis B virus contamination is high<BR><BR>are probably entirely "healthy-looking" - - before they get sick or die!<BR><BR>My point is that there IS an important place for scientific process in matters of public health. Some raw milk cheeses could be a public health threat. I hope that facts enter into public policy making and that the "big broom" doesn't sweep it ALL away.<BR><BR>And of course, on a personal note, people cite anti-scientific thinking (and thus, rationalize) all the time - - e.g., "My grandpa lived til he was 95 and it never bothered him" - - referring to cigarette smoking.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 02:50 PM
cmt

Wendy, I was trying to understand what exactly IS the risk from unpasteurized-milk cheeses (and isn't that a narrower category than raw-milk cheeses)? I never tried to research it, and non-scientist that I am, I guess I assumed that during the ripening process, the "good" flora and fauna kill off any "bad" flora and fauna in the cheese. I never happened to HEAR of people getting sick from this cheese (as I have heard various news items in my area re illness from ready-made hamburger patties, canned goods with botulism, undercooked kielbasa with trichina worms, unpasteurized cider made under unsanitary conditions, contaminated paté made by a well-respected local producer, etc.)

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 04:32 PM
s.fowler

As I understand the situation: the current regulation si\\is that unpasteurized cheese to be impoted must ahve been aged 60 days,

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 04:33 PM
s.fowler

Folks. It was a nice Australian cab-shaz that caused that typing