Favorite Watering Hole in Paris

Jun 2nd, 2005, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Favorite Watering Hole in Paris

Ok, all you francophiles -- so far I have the Hemingway Bar and Alcazar on my list. Can you give me some additional favorites here?
Jun 2nd, 2005, 12:31 PM

I love Hemingway's too but that's a one drink only place for me until I win the lottery.

Only slightly less pricey but great ambience are the bars at the Georges V and the Meurice.

If you're into jazz, the Hotel d'Aubusson in the St. Germain area is great(small, though). There's also a large piano bar a couple of doors down. Can't think of the name. Then you can walk over to the usual suspects Deux Magots and Cafe Flore.

Harry's is popular but a tad claustraphobic for me.

Jun 2nd, 2005, 01:08 PM

I've enjoyed sitting at La Palette, sipping a beer and looking at the art work on the walls.
Jun 2nd, 2005, 02:23 PM

My favorite 'watering hole' is to carry a nice bottle of wine (opened), 2 unbreakable wine glasses, some snacky/cheesy things, and sit on a park bench in Jardin de Luxembourg (or a small 'pocket' park) and people-watch while I enjoy the outdoors...
Jun 2nd, 2005, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

I hear you on the one-drink-maximum, Linda. Still I love feeling so pampered there! I didn't know about the jazz bar at Hotel D'Aubusson -- we'll definitely have to check that out.

cls2 -- where is La Palette?

You certainly can't beat the the ambience of the park, Travelnut.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. Has anyone been to Georges restaurant? Does the bar have the same view as the restaurant?

Also, can anyone tell me about Willi's Wine Bar?
Jun 2nd, 2005, 04:45 PM

Hi amarena - La Palette is at 43 rue de Seine - or at least that is what a google search showed! The looked up the address and it looks like the right area. From St. Germain, walk on rue de Seine towards the river and it is on a corner. It is an ecclectic place and from what I remember, it is an old place where artists used to pay their bar bills with paintings and they are now hanging on the walls. I liked it because the atmosphere was so relaxed. Oh, and if I recall, it was fairly expensive for a beer or glass of wine. Have a fun time! I hope to get there next year!
Jun 2nd, 2005, 06:41 PM

Falstaff's at 42 rue du Montparnasse.
Jun 3rd, 2005, 03:40 AM

"Au General Lafayette" at No. 52 Rue Lafayette. Metro: Le Peletier or Cadet.
Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:36 AM

On the east side of Carrefour de Buci is a normal cafe/bar. It's in the heart of the 6th and strategically positioned for great people watching on the main route between St. Michel and St. Germain. IIRC, there is a street market there also, but I don't recall which days.
Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:40 AM

Brasserie Lipp on the Blvd. St. Germain
Jun 3rd, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

cls2 -- that sounds like my kind of place.

hopscotch -- we love the good "people-watching" places, so I'll check that out. I always wonder why cafes in Europe are soooo aware of the allure of "people-watching", thus placing chairs facing outward towards the street. Whereas here in the U.S., specifically NY, the chairs always face sideways, so that you only face your table partner. I love the European way much better!

Thanks for more suggestions! Keep them coming! I love to take long walks through Paris, stopping for a drink now and then, and it will be nice to have this thread to reference for ideas.

Less than a week for me and counting!!!
Jun 3rd, 2005, 11:10 AM

Pretty people at Le Fumoir, Rivoli and Adm. Coligny Blvds. I think its the louvre metro.

Nice bar area...very nice.
Jun 3rd, 2005, 11:21 AM

Depends on your preference, I kind of like just going out to hang with the locals. That being said, my faves are Le Sancerre (on Avenue Rapp) and the Lizard Lounge (on rue du Bourg du Tibourg).
Jun 3rd, 2005, 11:36 AM

As I've posted several times, our favorite watering hole is Scossa on the Place Victor Hugo in the 16th and L'Esplanade, overlooking the Esplanade des Invalides in the 7th (but it's NOT a place to bring young children).
We did like La Palette, though. Normally, La Palette doesn't care for dogs inside, but the owner took a real shine to our cocker, so of course we hold the place in high esteem. Last time we were there, it still had one of those infamous Turkish WCs, has that changed?
I'm curious, anyone know if La Couple still hosts tango nights in its basement ballroom?
Jun 3rd, 2005, 11:40 AM

Oops, I know it's La Coupole, not La (le) Couple, so the ever-vigilant spelling squad can put the caps back on their red pens
Jun 3rd, 2005, 12:20 PM

In the 18th:

Un Zebre à Montmartre - 38 rue Lepic - at night, the bar has a cool sparkly ceiling thing going on and is super friendly. During the day, a nice stop in the neighborhood for a drink or lunch. Nonstop food/drink service until 2 a.m.

Also, Le Sancerre at 35 rue des Abbesses - I belive they have live music there at night. Cozy, maybe even a little romantic, too.
Jun 3rd, 2005, 01:45 PM

In the First, Le Rubis and Le Castiglione are fine bars that serve good food as well. The bar at Meurice is a favorite for a great martini & club sandwich (grossly expensive but the live jazz piano is included, gratis). JP
Jun 4th, 2005, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

More great suggestions!

hmmm... tango sounds incredibly fun, though I know my husband will never go for it.

Jun 6th, 2005, 10:56 AM

Hi Amarena:

Ok..my favorite bar in Paris?.. That's an easy one; Harry's New York Bar @ 5 Rue Daunou in the 8th Arrondisement, next to the Opera Garnier and also near the Madeleine. It's history at a standstill at Harry's. Everyone is more or less on equal footing so the place is very low key and unassuming. It was opened in 1911 by Harry McElone, an ex-pat Scotsman. Hemingway drank there as well as other famous luminaries..

Give it a go! You'll have fun.

Regards.
Luis
Jun 6th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Over the years,
The Ritz Bar
The bar in the Hotel Lutetia
La Villa hotel in the 6th and the bar at the Montalembert.
These were all after dinner and just a nightcap before bed, people watching is fantastick in a really nice bar

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO