Favorite Things on L'Ile Saint-Louis

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

L'Ile Saint-Louis is my favorite part of New York and I was just wondering if anyone had any favorite restaurants, shops, or moments on the island.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Oops - I meant Paris! Guess I am just too caught up in NY.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 07:09 PM

Berthillion (sp) ice cream!! I love wandering there, window shopping and finding a table outside to have a glass of wine and watch the world go by. Wish I were there now!
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 07:38 PM
MaureenB

Le Caveau de L'IIle is a nice little restaurant there. I think they have a website.

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 12:47 AM

Bonjour

Yes icecream - http://www.amorino.fr/boutiques.htm - is another choice. Then munch as you stroll taking in this lovely Parisian enclave. Or a nosh up at the Gaul themed restaurant - http://nosancetreslesgaulois.com/UK/

Au revoir
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 12:51 AM

Early morning walk around the island when there is nobody but gabage collectors on the streets. While doing this, I found a house where Camille Claudel once lived.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 12:56 AM

http://www.parisinconnu.com/promenades/p2p6us.htm#

Some monuments are mentioned on this site "Paris Inconnu/ WALKS IN THE UNKNOWN PARIS".
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 03:54 AM

Cacao et Chocolat, a beautiful store for chocolate, chocolate cakes and the like. 63 rue de Saint Louis en L'Ile.
http://www.cacaoetchocolat.com/Defau...Language=fr-FR
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 04:54 AM

I second the recommendation for Cacao et Chocolat. They have a little stoneware jar filled with chocolate fondue that is hard so you can pack it (carefully) in your suitcase and when you go home you heat it up (I did mine in the microwave) and dip all kinds of yummy things in the most wonderful chocolate.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 04:59 AM

I second the early morning walk on the island. It's absolutely charming especially the view of Notre Dame from the island.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:12 AM

My favorite thing was just strolling around. I loved this section of Paris. And I third Cacao et Chocolate! The chocolates are divine and they have great to-go cups of hot chocolate that warmed us up nicely on the chilly November morning we stopped by.

Tracy
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:17 AM

My favorite shop..La Petite Scierie! Foie gras, confit de canard, rillettes ..and you can taaste before you buy!!
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 06:55 AM

Ditto for Le Caveau de L'Ille Restaurant. We loved this little place. Also Brasserie de L'Ille at the foot of the bridge to the island. Walking around and of course Berthillon ice cream. Also the old man playing the accordion on the bridge. Our hotel D'Albe is steps away from Notre Dame and the island and we're very drawn to it.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 06:56 AM

I don't remember the name, and don't know if it's still there, but several years ago I bought the most amazing homemade mustards and herbes de provence at a shop on the main drag. I'm still amazed the little airport beagle didn't nail my herbes de provence when I came back!
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:26 PM

I've a favorite bookstore and a current favorite restaurant.

The bookstore is called Délegation Action Artistique de la Ville de Paris at 25 rue St-Louis-en-l’Ile, halfway between rue des Deux Ponts & rue Poulletier. The books by Editions Action Artistique de la Ville de Paris feature the streets, neighborhoods, architecture, paintings, music, etc., of Paris. There are also general books about Paris and its heritage, as well as cards, prints, and maps that can be framed. Most things are in French.

The restaurant is Mon Vieil Ami, at 69, rue St Louis en l'Ile. It has flavorful, modern brasserie fare and is definitely worth a stop. Reserve ahead.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:36 AM
ira

Hi K,

Another vote for Amorino.

Directly across the street is a small shop that sells foie gras and other duck products.

The folks raise their own animals and make their goods on the farm.

Utterly delicious.

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:45 AM

Another vote for the Le Caveau. Try the ice cream and sorbet selection. Everything was really good at this restaurant. Walk around the quayside and admire the beautiful mansions which face the water, check out the doors and the Dolphin drainpipe.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Frommer's MEMORABLE WALKS IN PARIS, a slim, lightweight paperback, has a nice walk on L'lle St. Louis.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:27 PM
JB7

Early morning walks; Oliver & Company (olives, olive oil, truffles); the macaroons from Cacao et Chocolat; apricot and raspberry sorbet from Berthillon; watching the top half of the Eiffel Tower sparkle (on the hour) at night from the Pont Tournelle.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 06:10 PM

There's a fantastic cheese shop just a couple doors east of the main Berthillon ice cream shop. It's tiny but absolutely packed with fromage. I was overwhelmed when we were there in late September, so asked for Roquefort, a cheese I know well and am very fond of. The young girl pointed to 3 huge rounds on a shelf and gave me my pick. They were all very expensive, of course, so I chose the cheapest one and it turned out to be the best blue cheese I've ever tasted. There's a special smell in a French fromagerie that is very special and subtle. And that little shop was my absolute favorite in Paris. Sorry I can't remember the name, but it is listed in guidebooks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -