Favorite small town, village, or just favorite city in England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for suggestions for what area in England is your favorite for small town atmosphere, small city, etc

I always wanted to visit the Cotswold villages but with how much they are written about now I fear that I will find many more tourists then locals

So beside the Cotswold what other areas of England do you find to be charming and a place you like to return to again

We don't have a set plan on where to visit and just looking for ideas
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 08:00 PM

On our last trip I fell in love with Bibury.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 08:09 PM

Bibury..yesss. The Arlington Row houses and tea at The Swan Hotel...delighful. Going back to the Cotswolds for the first time since '96...we're staying in Broadway, with a car and day trips and hikes throughout the region...in early April.

Stu T.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 08:56 PM

Wow - there's so much to choose from. We love Sussex/Kent and have enjoyed spending time in Tenterden. In Yorkshire - Whitby and Helmsley. Suffolk - Aldeburgh, Lavenham and Kersey. Cornwall - virtually anywhere, but particularly St Mawes, Porthleven and Port Isaac. In the Cotswolds, we love Chipping Campden, Hampton Lucy and Stratford (out of season). Have a great visit.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 09:32 PM

There aren't "more tourists than locals" in the Cotswolds.

This is a democracy. We're not letting a bunch of outsiders comed and ruin where we live, so we don't allow hotels to be built,
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 09:38 PM

There aren't "more tourists than locals" in the Cotswolds.

This is a democracy. We're not letting a bunch of outsiders comed and ruin our countryside - and more importantly, the value of our houses.

So we don't allow hotels to be built, road to run through the huills, or even new houses. Tourism is a trivial part of our economy, accounting for about one percent of jobs, and anyone with any silly ideas of increasing that number is shown the door pretty sharpish. The few crowds that lurk round a couple of places in midsummer don't arrive till 11 am and we get rid of them by 5.

Tourists aren't just vastly outnumbered by cows and sheep. They're outnumbered by people doing real things in a real society.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 11:54 PM

I guess I have to agree a bit with rickmav. Port Isaac is a favourite with the magnificent scenery,beautiful coastal walks and that fresh sea air..especially out of the tourist season. Chipping Campden,an interesting street and gorgeous surrounding views. Plus a great pub for lunch in the Churchill Arms, then to stay the night at the Malt House. Whitby,fabulous views,lots of history and a great harbour. And we love Bath. I guess it always brings back memories of great times and each time since,they are the same. Years ago we had to stay outside Bath,as it was booked out,we drove to a local pub and 4 pints later(my husband)we found our way back in the pea soup fog! The locals are great,love a chat. Also Windamere,great area to discover the magificent Lakes Area. So many choices..
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 12:40 AM

Ludlow, Chester, Oakham, Worcester, Hereford, Gloucester, Cheltenham, Lincoln, Hull. Hull???? yes Hull!

I also ove some of the Chiltern villages, and the villages of the Berkshire Downs/south Oxfordshire area.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 01:30 AM

Lavenham in Suffolk also Southwold.
For both, you need a car.
Robin Hoods Bay in Yorkshire.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 03:55 AM

Another vote for Ludlow, plus Whitby. Hull ?!?!?
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 05:22 AM

Caroline, it is the home city of William Wilberforce and the Wilberforce museum is worth a visit.
The trawler they have there is also interesting, though it wasn't open last time I went through. The street life museum is also interesting. There are a couple of trails you can follow through the old town.
On another level the Deep is interesting for a couple of hours, and Spurn Head, Beverley and Hornsey are only a short drive away.
Any city which has a street called the Land of Green Ginger can't be all bad
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 07:07 AM

To be fair, I haven't been since I was 18 - it seemed pretty grotty then, but I dare say it's changed a lot. I have to admit I hadn't even heard of these museums.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 07:32 AM

Small village would be Wool in Dorset.
Larger town would be St. Andrews & Oban.
Bigger town would be York, Oxford & Chester.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 07:43 AM

Torquay, Queen of the English Riviera.

It has a wonderful town center and waterfront area, and beautiful sandy beaches. Such a lovely city!
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 07:56 AM

Nice to see some northern villages in the lists; Whitby yes but Robin Hoods Bay better. There are some truly atmospheric villages in Yorkshire/Cumbria ie Troutbeck,Malham, Ingleton, Grassington, Settle and so on.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 07:57 AM

bookmarking
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 08:15 AM

I'll add to the voices for Whitby, York and Robin Hood's Bay. I also enjoyed Wells, Salisbury, Hay-on-Wye (used book stores EVERYWHERE!), Street and Shrewsbury.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 09:03 AM

"Larger town would be St. Andrews & Oban"

Hate to be a pedant, well not really , but you do know these aren't in England
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 09:32 AM

Small city, York, small town Wimdemere.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 09:49 AM

Whitby (views, port, etc.); York (city walls, museums, cathedral); Salisbury (walks, proximity to Old Sarum and Stonehenge, Cathedral close); Wells (history, cathedral).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -