Favorite Rome day trips

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 07:35 PM
David

Favorite Rome day trips

We'll be spending a week in Rome this June, and would like to take a day trip or two, ideally on our own. Old Rome hands: I'd appreciate your sharing one or two of your favorite outings.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 09:28 PM
mike

You go out to Tivoli it is about a half hour out of Rome. Nice little town, you can see the hadrian gardens.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 09:31 PM
Donnae

You must take the metro to Cornelius Stop. It is right in Rome, but, the street is filled with great bargains on shoes. We also found the best gelato in Italy off a side street here. Sorry, I do not remember the name of the Gelato shop.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 09:59 PM
natco

Best kep tour in Rome-the Archeobus.It will take you out of Rome,follow the old Roman road as far as the aqueducts.Along the way in the 16 seater air conditioned bus,there is a commentary and a great brochure.You can get on/off to visit the various catacombs and try to have lunch out there.We could easily have spent 2 days there.You can pick up te bus and buy the ticket outside of the Termini station1 Enjoy

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 02:23 AM
bill

Ostia Antica and Tivoli (Hadrian's Villa) are both good daytrips.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 03:17 AM
Robert

I did Assisi in a day trip.last spring. I went by train and had to make a connection at Foligno but the return train was "direct" to Rome. It was a worthwhile visit. Assisi is very medieval and I am glad I did the trip.
Robert

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 04:28 AM
Byrd

We went to Orvieto and Todi last year--a great memorable day.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 05:12 AM
Grinisa

On Sundays, I like to take the train into one of the towns in the Alban Hills (Frascati, Castel Gondolfo) and have lunch. In Frascati, try Ristorante Cacciani on Via Diaz. It has a large, shaded terrace with a spectacular view of the hills and Rome and the sea off in the distance.