Favorite places in the Dolomites?

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Billyb

Favorite places in the Dolomites?

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have for your favorite towns, hotels and restaurants in the Dolomites. We will be traveling through for several days the end of May. Ciao

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:32 AM
Joe

Billb,
I'm afraid that May is not a very good time to visit the Dolomites. You will find many, many hotels will not be opened. Their summer season doesn't really start until the middle to the end of June. Do some more research before going there.

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:49 AM
ppp

Yes, many hotels will still be closed. On the other hand, though, as a big plus the Dolomites won't be packed

Will you have a car, WillyB? If you'll have one, you shouldn't worry about reserving hotels. You may check properties in person and take what suits you best.

Are you planning to hike? Up to how many hours and height level difference?

I'd say the Castelrotto (Kastelreuth) is the village where the Tyrolean traditions are best preserved. Ortisei (S. Ulrich) and the Gardena Valley may be explored from Castelrotto. You may also stay in Ortisei and explore Castelrotto and the Siusi Alps from there. On the other hand, Cortina is IMO a must. Just south of th Italian-Austrian border is Vipiteno (Sterzing) which IMO is very nice, worth at least a detour. Finally, I have strong ties with the whole Val di Pusteria (from Bressanone to Dobiaco) and Val Aurina, which branches off the former in Brunico.

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:57 PM
Billyb

Thanx for your great tips ppp...I prefer to travel shoulder season. Living in the high country, I love late spring before the tourist crowds hit. Hey, if it's snowing, we'll just pour another Brunello and wait it out in Tuscany

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 06:53 AM
anna

We are planning a few days in the Dolomites in June. Can you suggest favorites? Looking for quaint, traditional places. We are on a budget, too, and traveling with kids.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 08:53 AM
richard j vicek

Good mornming, Billyb
Have used the HOTEL AMPEZZO, via XXIX Maggio, 15 in Cortina , twice and have
been very satisified with the hotel, tho
being old.. We used half board while
there and its food was well above average... Richard of LaGrange Park, IL

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 11:17 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Try Hotel Zum Wolf in Castelrotto. Perfect for kids and day trip thru Val Gardena and beyond.