Favorite places in Switzerland?

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Tim C.

Favorite places in Switzerland?

Surveying people on their favorite Swiss places since we will be traveling there in late March. How's Bern or Lucerne? Is the Matterhorn incredible? Thanks for your imput.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:08 AM
ted

Lucerne is just great!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:17 AM
rrr

Zermatt and the Matterhorn are fantastic.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:40 AM
singapore

Switzerland is my favorite country in Europe. My favorite place is a tie between Zermatt and Luzern.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Bob Brown

The Berner Oberland in general; Lauterbrunnen in particular -- mainly because of its central location making access to Wengen, the Mannlichen ridge, and Murren so easy.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 08:36 AM
xxx

If it's the mountains, countryside:

- amen, Bob Brown: absolutely Wengen, and around there (Kleine Scheidegg, etc.). The Eiger is on par with the Matterhorn;
- Schönried/Saanenmoser: not the highest mountains, but some of the nicest countryside and the most stunning chalets;
- Chateau d'Oex (stay at the Hostellerie Bon Acceuil), not far from Schönried; go up to the Videmanette
- the "Engadine" (Pontresina, Sils Maria), some of the best hiking anywhere and the best panoramas;
- Adelboden and environs (and treat yourself nice, stay at the Parkhotel Bellevue);
- Arosa when there's a meter or so of fresh snow; take a horse-and-carriage ride under moonlight;
- the walk through the Aletschforest above and along the Aletschglacier

For cities, towns:

- Zurich "old-town" area between Bahnhofstrasse and the Limmat; cozy, boutiquey, tradition, trendy...
- Bern, it's old-town center
- Chur: old eastern Switzerland

Everyone says "Lucerne!", but every tour bus stops there. (It's still a nice place, have to admit...)

And yes, the Matterhorn is stunning. When it's clear and sunny. Don't be surprised if the peak is often covered in clouds...

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Mark

I have to agree that Lucerne is my favorite. Make sure to take a trip to Mount Pilatus. Boat ride across lake, train trip up mountain to unbelievable views.
Really enjoyed Basel too.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Sharon

Just got back from Switzerland. We loved the old town of Bern, Lucerne, Zermatt, Lake Geneva cruise, and atop Gonergrat viewing the incredible mountain peaks and the Matterhorn.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Tim

I second Sharon's comments, having just got back myself.

Lucerne was OK, but Pilatus was fogged in. (The cruise on the lake was nice, anyway.)

Zermatt was foggy and rainy the evening I arrived, but clear, sunny and stunning the next day. Gornergrat cograil trip was all the Matterhorn, etc. you could want.

Loved Montreux. Two train hours from Zermatt and a wonderful, garden-like lakeside walkway. Take the ferryboat over to Chillon castle for a few hours.

Last but not least: the Chur-Tirano train (Eurailpasses are good) that goes over the Bernina pass. The Val Poschiavo on the sunny south side (Ticino) is stunning -- reminded me of "Lost Horizons." Would love to have stayed there for a few days.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Lac Luman

The stretch along Lac Luman from Geneva including: Lausanne, Vevey, Montreux. But I have friends who live there, that I stay with, so I am prejudice in favor of this region. Never been to Bern or Lucerne.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Ingo

Where to begin and where to end?

Bern and Lucerne are GREAT.

In late March you'd go to the lakes (Geneva, Thun, Lucerne, Ticino) to get a scent of spring there.

Or you go up in the high mountains (Zermatt, villages in the Engadine/St. Moritz area, Mürren) to have snow and sun.

Just a little correction for Tim: I absolutely love Valposchiavo, but it is still a part of Grisons/Graubünden, not Ticino.

Ingo

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Snoopy

Villars is what I pictured Switzerland to look like . . .half timbered houses, lots of flowers in the windows, snow capped mountains in the background. It's a very subjective thing . . . I'd be surprised to hear mention of Villars in this post.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Grasshopper

Anywhere in the Ticino. As a longtime Italiaphile I found the Ticino to be the best of both worlds; all of the great food, enthusiasm, wine, love, beauty, art, ancient castles... coupled with Swiss efficiency and cleanliness. Bellinzona is a beautiful town and Lago Maggiore is so peaceful and gorgeous it will make your teeth hurt. The Centovalli is an incredible train and bike ride.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 02:30 AM
switzer

Tim - if you're seriously planning on going to Zermatt in March:

- book way in advance - it will be Spring-season skiing;
- if you can budget a 4-star hotel, try Hotel Julen: has a super wellness center besides being a great hotel.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 04:37 AM
jw

Hi Tim C. You have not said how long you will be in Switzerland? That clue will let us know how selective we have to be. There are just so many wonderful places. Are you driving? training? Do you like to stay in one place and day-trip or move every other day? Are you a hiker? Museum visitor? Big cities? Villages? J.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 05:24 AM
jw

Me, again. Like Ingo, 'Favorite Places in Switzerland' almost overwhelms me. I don't know where to begin, and when I start listing places, I feel like I am being unfaithful to others. If you have nothing to do some rainy afternoon or cannot sleep in the middle of the night, Tim, read our SGFTWLS's part I, II, & III. (Grasshopper, I loved your comment about the beauty of Maggiore making your teeth hurt. What a wonderful expression.) Actually, 'm just topping this in the hope that you'll receive some more responses. I never tire of reading them. Affectionately, J.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Ed & Mona Northey

Planning a trip to Germany/Switzerland in Sept. next year. Plan on stopping in Lucerne and Lugano. Need suggestions on good quality, reasonably priced Hotels. All help appreciated. Thanks.
P.S. Also need accommodations in Munich.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Tim

Ed,

In Lucerne, the Hotel Des Alpes is reasonably priced (for Lucerne), and has some balconies facing the river for a few extra francs.

In Lugano, The Montarina (hotel, next to the hostel) is decent for around $80, not far from the train station (good or bad, depending...) Having said that: If I was spending a few days in the Lugano area, I would take a flyer on the the Bellavista (tried to find it at Vico Morcote, but took the wrong stairway and had to head back catch the boat).

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Lesley

We were in Lucern in July and Mt. Pilatus was fogged in then also. It was really a disappointment. All three days we were in town were nothing but fog. The nice thing though was there is plenty to do. If you are a hiker( we are just casual walkers) there are plenty of marked maps all over the Vierwaldstettersee area. We walked to Bergenstock , a smaller mountain and had very nice views because it is not as high. Have a great time! Wish I could try Mt. Pilatus again fog free. It was very scary with fog because you did not know where the drop offs were.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Jami

We absolutely loved the Berner Oberland! We stayed in Wengen in the Hotel Belvedere (www.belvedere-wengen.ch). The hotel staff was wonderful. We got a room with a view of the Jungfrau, cloudy the first day, absolutely breathtaking the next. If you can take the train to the Jungfrau it is worth every penny to be on top of the mountain. Im not sure how it would be in March, but I absolutely loved it in Wengen in September!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -