favorite modern art in Paris

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 09:56 PM
joan

favorite modern art in Paris

I have been reading the recent posts on favorite museums in Paris and was surprised that no one appears fond of the Musee d'Art Moderne at the Pompidou. Are there other favorite museums for modern art--starting where the Musee d'Orsay leaves off? Is the Musee d'Orsay closed as one person noted? How large is the collection of the Musee d'Art Moderne de la ville de Paris?

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 06:53 AM
clairobscur

Orsay is not closed. The Orangerie is.

Sorry for your other questions. I'm not fond of modern art.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 08:33 AM
Joe

The collection of the Musee d'Art Moderne de la ville de Paris isn't large, but they occasionally do ambitious loan exhibits. Was there in Nov. '99 for a spectacular Fauve show. One of the highpoints of the permanent collection is the murals that Matisse did for the Barnes Foundation outside Philadelphia in the early 1930s. The first version didn't fit the space at the Barnes and are now in Paris; Matisse did a second set for the Barnes after going there and familarizing himself with the space.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 09:54 AM
Caitlin

The permanent collection at the Musee d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris is not real big, but it is quite comprehensive (in terms of the major European artists from turn to mid-century) and is stunning, IMO. I saw a number of things from the Pompidou's collection at a show at the Guggenheim in New York while the Pompidou was closed for renovation, but when I visited the Pompidou last year, they didn't have them on exhibit, only very contemporary stuff. I get the impression that many who visit this board aren't big fans of post-impressionist modern or of contemporary; that's probably why they're not keen on the Pompidou. It's a must if you like contemporary art, though as I said, I was disappointed that they weren't showing the earlier works from their permanent collection; they have some outstanding Picassos. For small, single-subject museums, the Musees Rodin and Picasso are excellent. The Musee Picasso doesn't have the best of his work (obviously, he sold or donated those, so they weren't in his estate, from which the collection came), but it is a good survey, and they have some good pieces by contemporaries that Picasso collected himself.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 06:20 PM
joan

Thanks so much for your opinion...it is exactly the type of information I am looking for. We will have only 1 day in Paris and have to pick carefully--looking for the Paris version of New York's MOMA (or the closest combo of places). Have seen two large Picasso retrospectives in past few years, so Musee Picasso might be a good pair with Pompidou.
Any other opinions out there?

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 08:02 PM
tina

Let me start with this intro, I am a art maniac and love the museums in Paris (and all the world) In two trips to Paris, pompidou was closed for one of them. My last trip I saw the picasso special exhibit and the permanent collection as well. The permanent collection is giant, it was overwhelming for a single visit. If you have a limit on time I would a) pick out exactly what you want to see at pompidou and go to those pieces first glancing at the rest, b) skip it and go tho the Picasso. There is a grand sculpture garden on the left bank of the seine. All modern pieces, free for the taking. My last trip I went to Andre Citroen Parc and it is filled with modern architecture. But that might be for a longer trip.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 08:18 PM
Caitlin

It's true that you'll have to pick and choose at the Pompidou, but that and the Picasso make a good combo also because thy're not too far from one another. Also, the Pompidou is open most evenings. If you're squeezing things together, I can recpommend the Creperie Boubourg on the Place Igor Stravinsky, right in front of the Pompidou, for a casual lunch or dinner. At any rate, the Pompidou is certainly the best analog to MoMA.