Reload this Page >

Favorite Luggage

Search

Favorite Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Adventuretwin

Favorite Luggage

My fiance and I both need luggage for our honeymoon. We're traveling to Italy in August so we won't be carring much over, but hopefully lots more on the way back! I'd love to hear about your favorite piece of luggage, and why it's your favorite. I think a good piece of luggage might be in the details (quality of rollers...stitching, etc.) Thank you!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Kate

The green one, it holds a lot.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 02:59 PM
L

Vetrilox. Search on the web for them.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Bob

25+ trips to Europe. Many types of luggage attempted. For the last few years we have used strictly hard side Samsonite. <BR><BR>I gave up on all the soft stuff after getting sliced into twice. <BR><BR>The hard side works great. When it gets too beat up, we throw away and get another. <BR><BR>Don't go for the expensive Hartmann or you will spend all your time worrying about the stuff and the various scratches and dents. Go hard side, buy on sale and dump when necessary as the planes and trains beat these thing up pretty good.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 03:12 PM
Adventuretwin

Thanks Bob - those are exactly the types of tips I was looking for. Keep 'em coming fodorites.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 03:16 PM
L

Oops<BR><BR>spelling is: Victorinox

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Nancy

After buying several different styles I have settled on soft-sided bags on wheels. I travel quite a bit and a hard-sided one would be too heavy for me. Also, I've decided cheaper is better as the luggage gets tossed around so much and damaged that I wouldn't feel badly about tossing it eventually and getting a new one. I also have a backpack type piece (haven't used it that way yet) to use as a carry-on and it holds everything I need to carry on and slides under the seat in front on the airplane - great footrest. A friend packs a lightweight flat suitcase in the bottom of her larger one for purchases - and she buys a lot!! I carry small foldable ones to use for extra purchases and can carry that on the plane, also.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:10 PM
scumpy

<BR>Bob wrote: "For the last few years we have used strictly hard side Samsonite."<BR><BR>Expanding on that, here's another idea, Bob. When we went to China on a tour, there was a LOT of luggage transfers, and our softsided luggage came home having to be discarded. There was a very savvy shoestring world traveling couple on the trip with us, and they had hard-sided, ugly, old fashioned Samsonite luggage. Guess whose bags looked exactly the same at the end of the trip as at the beginning? We recently went to a thrift shop, like Goodwill, and bought perfectly fine but old and ugly Samsonite hard siders for future travel. About $5-$7 each! I bet they end up lasting forever.<BR>

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:19 PM
My experience

Hubby and I each take one large suitcase. (I always put a few of my things in his and vice versa in case of loss). Mine is a Samsonite hard cover. I love it. Expecially the way it has hangars for Jackets, etc. His is a soft side. It's great for stuffing, and for bulky things...but is it old and the wheels are small and it is difficult to pull (it turns over). Hope this helps

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Barb

We have the Victorinox Swiss Army 20" backpack that also has wheels. It has a removeable day pack that comes in handy for on the plane then as a daypack during the trip. Basically. the backpack wears a backpack, or you can wear one part and wheel the other. <BR><BR>It was absolutely great on the trains in Italy, as it is narrow enough to go down the aisles. My husband takes that piece, and I use a 22" soft side rolling bag (also Victorinox). Between the two, we had room for everything we needed for 12 nights in Italy. We did pack 2 folding Totes to bring home purchases.<BR><BR>One thing I have learned--keep luggage as manageable as possible since you may have to lift it on cobblestones or up stairs. We took our large 29" suitcase to London last year--never again.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:28 PM
demi

We always go with 1 hardside! My closets are full of different sizes for different trips and lengths of stay ..but 1 hardside always goes!But then I buy lots of things , especially pictures,china ,glass and artwork and in soft side they will crush no matter how you pack them.<BR><BR>Do follow the tip above , packing half his stuff in yours and vice versa <BR><BR>We've done that carry it all on , but I am too old to be wearing nasty wrinkled clothes and we do tend to go to places that require more than jeans and sneakers and backpacks.<BR><BR>it really all depends on how YOU travel and what you do and where you go. That is why I get such a kick out of the fashion threads...some people will be perfectly comfortable in jeans and sneakers..but some of us like to look really good and go to special places that at our age we can afford and enjoy, so we wear what we like and if you want jeans and sneakers and picnics in the park or your room.do it.<BR>Whatever you do pack a foldable duffle ..use it for dirty clothes,extra gifts,whatever. I never leave the house or a trip without 1 in the suitcase

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Shannon

I have had my old Travelpro since they first opened up shop. Still works, not in shreds, covered with patches of places I've been.<BR><BR>My husband loves his Eagle Creek huge backpack with wheels. Soft sided, but no problems with it falling apart either.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Sandy

Andiamo!! We have the top of the line but the 2nd down is also great. Lifetime warranty! We've had ours for 5 to 7 years and it looks the same as the day we bought it. Softsided, great wheels... we love it.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:10 PM
xxx

Love this..you can tell the 20 year olds from the 40's and 50's!<BR><BR>Some go for comfort, some for speed!!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 08:04 PM
bb

i vote for NorthFace Backpack, the bigger <BR>packs.<BR><BR>truly but gladly

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 09:50 PM
Marilyn

I had a Travelpro and every time I used it something else fell apart. I would never buy one again.<BR><BR>If I were going to travel with a large rolling backpack I would go for Eagle Creek. They make well-thought-out products with lifetime guarantee. I have lots of their smaller bags and really can't say enough good things about them.<BR><BR>Please don't make fun of me, but what I really use is a 22" (?) wheeled suitcase made by Ricardo of Beverly Hills. There are 2 compartments (1 with a loop for hanging clothes on hangers)with a "floating divider" so you have a lot of flexibility. Somehow I can get more in this bag than should be possible according to the laws of physics. It has held up well and when it falls apart I will go to Marshall's and get another for about $80. Hard to beat...

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 01:45 AM
Suzy

I agree with the general advice here -- a hard-side if you have lots of tour transfers, but just a good wheelaboard otherwise-- look for good-sized wheels and a handle that's long enough to be comfortable. Otherwise, cheaper is better not only so you aren't sad when it wears out or gets marked up, but becuase you're less likely to be targeted by thieves. Plus a collapsible tote so you can check it on the way home, full of laundry, and put your new treasures in your carryon!<BR><BR>I don't understand demi's comment "We've done that carry it all on , but I am too old to be wearing nasty wrinkled clothes and we do tend to go to places that require more than jeans and sneakers and backpacks." If you're trying to travel light, nice pants and shoes actually take up less space than jeans and sneakers. And wrinkling has nothing to do with the quantity of stuff you take, it's more a matter of packing technique -- drycleaner bags between layes somehow really do make a difference!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 02:05 AM
Andrea

My strongest recommendation deals with a very important issue I'm surprized no one has touched upon yet - COLOR!!<BR><BR>I bought new Samsonite luggage a year or two ago, and wavered between black and a sort of silvery/champagne color. I liked the silvery one, but since I am a black accessories type of person, I finally went with basic black.<BR><BR>Every single time I collect my luggage at baggage claim, I rue that decision. It seems that these days, 95% of all bags are black. If only I had chosen a different color, it would have been FAR easier to spot mine. I always end up anxiously staring at numerous other bags that MIGHT be mine before I find them. (I know that I could put stickers/ patches/ straps/ ribbons on my black bags, but that would bother me more than searching for my bags every time).<BR><BR>So, my advice to you is, whatever luggage you choose, pick a color OTHER THAN black!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 02:29 AM
Martha

Andrea, look at your anonymous black suitcase as a design opportunity. To make it easier to identify in the luggage carousel, you need to add personalized design elements. This could be anything from decals featuring your favorite rock band to a lovely stenciled border pattern. Or go for the Victorian look, with stickers that identify the places you've traveled to. Be sure to varnish over these items to help prevent scratches.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 02:31 AM
Jim

Yeah, personalize it. But whatever you do, don't rely on a piece of red Christmas yarn tied to the handle. Last time I traveled, I spotted four other suitcases that were "individualized" this way before mine finally showed up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -