Favorite London Walks

Search

Favorite London Walks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite London Walks

I'm heading to London over the Christmas Holidays. Since I've been on most of the literary themed London Walks (I'm a lit teacher), I was wondering what other walks members of this board would recommend. Which of the walks really surprised you? Are there any that you wouldn't recommend? I'm talking about the organized London Walks that cost five pounds.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 06:30 PM

The London Walks I've enjoyed the most have been the "Christopher Wren's London," Hampstead, and "Legal and Illegal London" walks. (The last one was just called "Legal London" when I took it, several years ago; I wonder what's changed since then.)

I also enjoyed the Greenwich walk, but if you go on that walk, I'd recommend allowing extra time on your own after the walk ends to go into places like the Greenwich Royal Observatory, the National Maritime Museum, and the Queen's House. The walk just takes you past those places, and it would be a shame to go to Greenwich without actually going into them.

I thought the Highgate walk wasn't quite up to the standards of the other walks I've mentioned, maybe because Highgate just wasn't as interesting to me as the other areas. Still, if you were thinking of paying a visit to Highgate Cemetery, combining that with the Highgate walk wouldn't be a bad way to spend an afternoon. Otherwise, it's skippable.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Bree--thanks for the info regarding the Greenwich walk. I was thinking about doing it but will make sure I budget in time to explore afterwards.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 11:50 PM

It was a while ago, but I did one of the "Ghost" walks and it was fun, with two unplanned bonus events: a woman near the site of the old Newgate prison who leaned out of her window and shrieked and swore at the guide to shut up, she was trying to watch the effing telly, and the poor couple on a date who seemed to be just one step ahead of us. Everywhere they went to try and relax, after about 10 minutes our group would show up, they'd get this horrified look on their faces and bolt.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Sylvia

I've been on the Dickens walk and although it took one to interesting places, it was a bit basic if you know Dickens very well and I assume that you do.
We find a book, the better bet for walking and use Walking London by Andrew Duncan. Last Sunday we did his Bankside and Southwark walk.
One fascinating stop along the way was St. Thomas's Church. The church loft was rediscovered in 1956 and is now a museum. As well as being a storehouse for herbs it was also used for operations. The old operating theatre is still there with a display of surgical instruments. Makes you glad to be living in the 21st century!

Old Oct 16th, 2003, 04:06 AM
Degas

If you had it to do over, would you take the organized Greenwich walk or just travel there and do it on your own own?

Old Oct 16th, 2003, 05:50 AM

In another post I was questioning the walking trip of Greenwich by the local Greenwich guides. They have several tours of the area listed at greenwichtourguides.co.uk. Has anyone taken their Royal Greenwich Meridian Walk?

Another note for the London Walks tour to Greenwich--it includes a discounted fare for the boat ride. I am wondering if their tour includes a boat trip both ways and whether one can stay on after the tour to visit and then take the boat back to Westminster pier?

I and a friend took 3 London Walks this last May and enjoyed the one that walked around Kensington High Street and was sort of so-so on the one of Nottingham Hill.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 06:00 AM

"If you had it to do over, would you take the organized Greenwich walk or just travel there and do it on your own own? "

I didn't dislike the Greenwich walk, but probably would have been happier having gone on my own. We had a subsitute guide who didn?t do the greatest job

In particular, the ferry schedule had changed and the guide didn't know it, we got to the ferry too late and had a long wait for the next one. He filled, but still...

At Greenwich the walk was running so late that I finally left the tour before it ended.

Keith
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 06:04 AM

Margo, the boat ticket is one way.

Keith
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 06:28 AM

Count me as another vote for doing Greenwich on your own, if it's an either/or choice between that and doing the organized walk. But if you have the time, taking the organized walk first and then spending time there on your own after the walk might be the best of both worlds.

As Keith said, the boat ticket to Greenwich that you get on the walk is one-way -- at the end of the walk, you're on your own to make your way back to central London. The guide provides instructions about the various means of transportation you can use to do that. I chose to walk through the pedestrian tunnel under the river and take the Docklands Light Railway, just to try something different from the boat ride, and it worked very well.

I must have had the regular guide, not the substitute guide that Keith had, because the one I had was very good about staying on schedule. His experience as a guide actually came in handy at the very beginning of the walk. The day I took the walk happened to be the day of the London marathon. To get from the Tower Hill tube stop, where we met, to the place where we boarded the boat, we had to cross the road the runners were running along. Doing so was quite an adventure: our guide had to persuade one of the police officers who was guarding the road to allow our group to dash across, during a break between runners. I'm not sure if the police would have been so accommodating to someone who wasn't a professional tour guide.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all--you've given me some good ideas. Any other London Walks to recommend from Fodorites?
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 12:01 PM

Go to your local libary and check out "London Walking Guide" by Jeanne Oelerich. It's great and has about ten different walks to see the sites of London. I'll be in London on November 24th and even though it's my 3rd trip in 3 years, I still haven't seen it all.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 01:53 PM

zeppo2,

My favorite of three walks was "The London Panorama" It starts next to a portion of the old Roman wall, with a walk past the Tower of London and a cruise up to Westminster Bridge.

At Westminster you go past Parliament, Westminster Abbey, St. James Park and Buckingham Palace. It finishes at Horse guards just in time for the "Dismount."

Keith
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Keith,
The London Panorama sounds like a great chance to use my new digital camera. I'll be sure to seek it out.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 03:52 PM

I just got back from London. We did two London Walks - Old Kensington, and Legal and Illegal London. They were both wonderful and were definitely among the best ones we've taken.

Old Oct 17th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Jame,
After reading your post I looked up the description for Old Kensington Walk, and it's definitely going on the schedule. Can you tell me a bit more about what you liked about the Legal/Illegal London walks? The descriptions didn't grab me, but would love to hear why you liked it so.
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 10:39 PM
sojourner

<< Which of the walks really surprised you? >>

The London Walk that really surprised me was "Ghosts of the Old City". I would never have considered it because I thought the idea of a ghost walk was just too, too hokey. But a good friend had been in London a few months before my last trip, had gone on that walk and absolutely insisted that I must do it when I went to London. He was just so positive that I would love it.

And I did! I really, really did! The City (the square mile) is nearly deserted in the evening, which makes the atmosphere somewhat spooky. The very talented guide was dressed and made up to look like a vampire type. He told both scary and funny stories, sang an old, old song for us, and recited a poem in Olde English (interesting that it's nigh on to unintelligible to today's ears). We stopped in at a pub along the way, too.

To my own astonishment, I had a lot of fun, laughed a lot, and found this particular ghost walk to be a very different and enjoyable way to spend an evening. IMO, it's an unbeatable bargain at 5 LBs. Sure, I'd go on it again!

Also went on the Old Kensington walk, which was also very enjoyable. At times it was hard to believe we were only steps away from Kensington High Street.

Have a great time in London!

Old Oct 18th, 2003, 06:34 AM
vcl

We really enjoyed the Little Venice walk. It was a part of the city we might not have otherwise explored. We found the neighborhood so charming, we've returned often on our own.
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Sojourner,
Thanks. I wouldn't have chosen the ghost walk, but it sounds like I need to put it on the itinery. My dance card is getting full!
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 08:22 PM

I know what you mean about the description of the Legal/Illegal London walk. It actually didn't appeal to me that much in the brochure either, but someone else recommended it to me and we decided to try it. It ended up being a fascinating walk, partly because the guide was so wonderful, and also because the topic turned out to be quite interesting. It was also amazing to walk a block back from a very busy street and be in a quiet courtyard filled with beautiful old buildings. We definitely were in a part of London we had never been in before, and it is an area we probably never would have found without the tour either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -