favorite london restaurant

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Mark

favorite london restaurant

What restaurant in london would you choose to celebrate a special occasion and why?

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Patrick

Assuming you are not from London (or maybe even if you are)Rules would be high on the list. Traditional English food including game and over-the-top old English atmosphere, and perhaps the best sticky toffee pudding in the world.

If it is more about the food itself, then maybe Gordon Ramsey?

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 09:02 AM
janis

There are many, many to choose from. But you couldn't go wrong with the Ivy, Rules, or Gordon Ramsey.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 01:47 PM
John G

For a special occasion, Gordon Ramsay or Ivy can't be beat. Other great restaurants in London are: Connaught (British-French), St. John (known for "innards"), Veeraswamy (Indian), Le Caprice, and Groucho Club (you must be a member or be with a member to gain entrance). All these restaurants are very expenive, especially GR and Connaught. A bottle of Krug at either will set you back $600. Cheers, darling.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 01:52 PM
mimi taylor

i'll take Caprice, Gavroche, Tante Claire Assagi, Star of India and Finch's.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Patrick

I"m just curious here. Am I the only one who didn't apprecite The Ivy? We had a mediocre meal there with incredibly slow and bad, inexperienced service. Mainly people talk about the "elite" eating there which means nothing to me, but I saw nothing exciting about the restaurant. On the other hand Le Caprice (at that time owned by the same people, but I'm not so sure now) was simply wonderful.
I've chosen not to go back to The Ivy and have never figured out why I'd struggle for months to snag a reservation at a restaurant where I found both the food and service mediocre at best. What am I missing?

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:06 PM
ellie

Our family celebrated Thanksgiving 2002 at Le Gavroche. No turkey but lots of exceptional service, exquisite food and oddly relaxed atmosphere for such a posh spot. Very expensive, but well worth it for a memorable - perhaps once in a lifetime - experience.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 09:08 PM
janis

Patrick: Maybe you were just unlucky and went on a bad day. I have dined at the Ivy twice and both time were exceptional. Not my absolute favorite meals of all time - those were at K-Pauls in New Orleans, the Peat Inn in rural Fife and in a small cafe on Ile de la cite - but right up there among the best.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 06:30 AM
Patrick

Thanks, Janis, I've always suspected that to be true. I was truly curious if I am the ONLY one who didn't like The Ivy as everyone raves about it. Had to be a fluke. But I do believe it sold a year or two ago. Has it changed in any way as a result?

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 09:05 AM
james

I had this question to solve recently - we went to Gordon Ramsay at Claridges. You get the opulence of one of London's great hotels (and London's most 'in' bar) combined with the chef of the moment - who was there! The 6 course set menu was a bargain at £65, and we thought the wine list reasonably priced(if very long). The room is attractive and there is a certain buzz from fellow diners expecting something special - no-one is disappointed.