Reload this Page >

Favorite internet travel site???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 08:46 AM
Geoff

I have recently begun using the new airline operated travel site www.orbitz.com. It works pretty well for air fares. In the past I have also used Cheap Fares, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity and Expedia along with Side Step and the individual airlines web sites. I don't like using Priceline for a variety of personal reasons. I was wondering which sites were favored by other Fodorites and for what reasons. Are there others out there that are recommended?

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 01:14 PM
xxx

To the top

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Randy

I just purchased a ticket for Paris and I tryed all the sites you mentioned and the best price I found was not on the internet. It was with a consolidator/Travel agent. I did did not save a whole lot, but I did save some. I also had a little more personal service. If you are interested, e-mail me and I will give you the name and number.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 01:44 PM
Mary

Used go-today.com in November for Paris and France. Their package included air/hotel/breakfast for 8 nights in Paris. And then we extended the return flight by two weeks at no additional airline charge; just had to return from Paris. The package was $800/person. They will let you extend the air for up to a month as long as the return is within their special date timeframe. Might give them a look. Good luck.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 01:55 PM
Rex

I am always interested in companies that provide good value and good service at a good price, so e-mail me the info, "randy" - - if that's what your name really is. What is the domain "paris.com"? and did you get an e-mail address there? - - I can't get "www.paris.com" to open. I'm not saying it's not real - - who would have thought that www.unitedstates.com has e-mail [email protected] free, just for the asking (as in [email protected] or www.rexbickers.italy.com - - Bob the Navigator, I am still surprised you haven't taken this as an e-mail address for your itinerary planning!) <BR> <BR>Anyhow, I don't know why you wouldn't list the name of the consolidator here - - or maybe that requires permission? I don't know, and I assume not - - I, too, used a consolidator for our "fall Fodorites' trip" - - and I was pleased with the service and the price was good (not necessarily great). The company is www.the-joy-of-travel.com (essentially nothing to see there at their website); the telephone number is 1-888-AIR-TIXX. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 02:32 PM
Randy

Hi Rex, yes my name is Randy and you can get your own free e-mail address at www.mail.com. I just checked and [email protected] and [email protected] have already. Check the site out and be creative and I think you are a creative person. After you get the e-mail address you want, click on options and then you can select where all the mail to this addres is forwarded. You can also let them hold the mail until you login in to read it. Have fun, I am looking forward to seeing your new address. <BR> <BR>My travel source is: GTI Travel, Inc. 21 West 7th Street, P. O. Box 1589, Halland, Mi 49422 800-829-8234 Ask for Ingred, ext. 221. <BR> <BR>I will make a note of your travel agent, thanks.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Heather

Interesting suggestions to keep in my files. Mary, did you have a choice of hotels/areas? <BR> <BR>Randy, thanks for the email address idea. I now also have [email protected].

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 03:03 PM
Rex

Randy: <BR> <BR>Hmmm... I suppose I should have recognized that you got this domain that way. I got "[email protected]" YEARS ago (there were far fewer free choices at the time) - - and it does "map" (forward) to my usa.net e-mail acount. But I stopped giving it out a long time ago - - it's an added burden to explain that the concept of a "forwarding address" to other people. <BR> <BR>And seeing all the choices available there, I actually DID just now snarf up [email protected] (hopefully, no one else wanted it! LOL!!) <BR> <BR>I have had a very hard time deciding what I want(ed) to do about e-mail -- usa.net stopped being free this summer, and I decided to go ahead and pay the fee to stay there. It offers features not easily had from other "free" sites - - specifically, POP3 access (I can access IT via POP3, not use it to access other POP3 mailboxes - - they all have that). <BR> <BR>And it also has auto forwarding - - so that I always have a backup copy of everything (at another site - - visto.com) <BR> <BR>Another site - - www.runbox.com is very awesome - - based in Norway, they offer one HUNDRED Mb of free storage - - but they must have been deluged - - they stopped offering new mailbox accounts earlier this summer. <BR>

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Alan

Interesting discussion about email sites, but I for one would like to hear more about travel sites from people that have used them.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 09:29 AM
agent

I can certainly attest to the GTI consolidator. I have frequently used Ingrid, she's excellent! <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 10:09 PM
Syd

topping

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 10:36 AM
xxx

ttt

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Mary

Heather, <BR>Yes, with Go-today.com there's a choice of several hotels. They provide descriptions and pictures of each, but I also reseached them here at Fodors and hotelboulevard.com. Go-today.com is worth checking out, as I'm sure many other air/hotel packages companies. <BR>Mary

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 11:47 AM
fran

Just an FYI re orbitz---you will not necessarily get the lowest available fare when you do your search. For example, I was checking fares from LAX to Papeete, Tahiti, and orbitz gave me a fare of $3400 and it was a triple connection! Since I know Air Tahiti Nui flies nonstop I plugged that in as the specific carrier I was interested in and orbitz came back with fare of $1100.