Notices

Favorite food in Germany.

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite food in Germany.

What is your favorite foods to eat while in Germany, 1, Breakfast 2, Lunch or Snack,
3, Dinner
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 05:25 AM

Snack: Fresh pretzel with a slice of ham and melted edam cheese on top (yum!)
The pastries in Germany are also delicious.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 05:32 AM

Anything with white asparagus during that season in spring and mushroom everything in late july/august. strudel, wurst, schnitzel. darn, you've made me miss the place again!
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 05:32 AM

Röstbratwurst on a crusty roll with mustard-anytime of day!
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 05:58 AM

For breakfast: Dark bread, butter and ham. And plenty of dark coffee.

Lunch: Nuremburg sausages and beer

Dinner: Cheese noodle cassarole with beer.

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:14 AM

Breakfast: Pretzel with cheese or with butter and jam. Also the natural yogurt with stawberries.
Lunch: In the Fall zwiebelkuchen(onion and bacon tart)with a glass of new wine. The other choice is leberkase with mustard on a crunchy roll.
Dinner: Cheese spaetzel or any kind of schnitzel.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:22 AM

breakfast - dark bread -butter and jam, and oh the delciouus assortments of cheeses.
Lunch - bratwurst on a crusty roll!
dinner - I loved the spaetzel with a bit of sauce(really gravy!) from the tender pork roast and beets.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

YUMMY, I can't wait to be there and try
all the food.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 03:12 PM

Can't say I have a farvorite meal in Germany except perhaps their beer! We keep a list of the 10 worst meals we've had while traveling and a meal we had in Germany is on the list. We refer to it as our "glue Ball with salty meat meal"
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 03:24 PM

Mmmm-kay, can't help but wonder what a "glue Ball with salty meat meal" might be...and, of course the fun of watching a rave thread go to a rant thread.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 03:52 PM

Any pastry made mit marzipan.

Vollkornbrot "whole grain bread". Basically just rye and/or wheat kernels pressed together with a tiny bit of flour and water, steamed like a pudding and then baked just briefly to form a crust.

I'm not a sausage fan, but the Black Forest ham, sliced thin and served with a little smear of butter on the aforementioned brot, gets my vote every time.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 04:04 PM
KT

Maybe the glue ball was some kind of knoedel (large dumpling). I must confess I've had some reather yummy knoedeln, but then I'm not totally averse to heavy food.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 09:13 PM

Hi
I Think my favorite other than any type of wurst is haxen. I've only seen it in Munich. It may be a pigs foot sliced and served with gravy. I've had it a restaurant, as well as at Oktoberfest. The gravy makes it taste fricaseed [sic]. It's really much better than it sounds. Goes good with a beer.
alan
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 09:27 PM

I miss breakfasts of chocolate croissants and laugen broetchens. And apple schoerle for a drink. And I really just enjoyed the dinner foods a lot on the whole. But I'm a fan of hearty food.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 12:54 AM
hsv

- For breakfast: Yoghurt and Muesli cereal;

- For lunch: Probably a thinly cut Schnitzel Viennese style (breaded and deep fried for just a short while) along with some potato and cucumber salad.
Some pasta (I am aware it is of Italian origin) will do well with me, too;

- For a snack: A Thueringer Bratwurst, for which it is important to be flame grilled and not fried, with mustard and a fresh roll;

- Supper: Black bread (as described above) with some raw but smoked ham from Holstein (region in Northern Germany), thinly cut, along with a Jever Pilsner or Holsten Pilsner beer

- For Dinner: Roast back of venison along with some redwine sauce, some red cabbage with apples and cranberries, steamed and peeled pear with cranberries again and some potato or bread dumplings;

- For dessert: Rote Gruetze (red grits), being a mixture of cooked and sweetened red and black currant, raspberries and cherries (possibly strawberries, too, but whether they belong or not is a matter of philosophy) along with just some plain milk and liquid cream.

Enjoy finding your own favorites!
hsv

Old Aug 28th, 2004, 03:10 AM

For breakfast:
pretzel croissants. There is a small bakery chain in central Germany that sells them, but you have to go early because they have legions of fans and sell out before 10 am most days
2. Lunch and/or dinner: beef bouillon with thin slices of scallion and pancake strips. I could eat that almost every day in the winter. Nuremberger sausages (fortunately we can get them here from a German specialty food store). Salads made with "feldsalat", my favorite salad lettuce, and the typical German vinaigrette or a pumpkin oil based dressing. Freshly cooked pink trout "miller's wife" style. My husband loves gruenkohl it's not for me.
Snack: Heidesand cookies. Any raspberry and cream confection from a good pastry shop in Baden-Baden.
Tchibo coffee. They stopped making the Elegant Blend, which we loved, so we've switched to the Wiener blend, which is also very good.
German cooking is under-rated. While we were in central France, we bought a great coffee table book "L'Allemagne se met a table", full of wonderful color photographs on the regions of Germany and their local cuisine.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 05:59 AM

Berliner Eisbein ! Yuuummm
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 06:32 AM

big,

I'm particularly fond of bratwurst at about a 10,000-foot elevation. More specifically, grilled bratwurst on a bun, with plenty of senf, on top of the mighty Zugspitze. Now that's good German eating!
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 08:33 AM

Mmmmm...Strammer Max at any alpine hut after a good long hike.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 09:30 AM

Nurnberger fresh pork sausages (grilled), goulash soup, spargel (white asparagus), weiner schnitzel, and venison dishes---anytime, any place!

Cheers,

Jinx Hoover

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information