Favorite arrondissement in Paris?

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 03:55 AM
Bob

Favorite arrondissement in Paris?

Going to Paris for 2nd time in October. <BR> <BR>Curious about what others feel are there favorite districts and why. If you could pick only one which would it be??? <BR> <BR>Welcome your comments. <BR> <BR>Bob

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 04:53 AM
Lee

Bob: I guess that it would be the 6th for me. The Latin Quarter is such a great area with the restaurants and cafe's, flower shops with displays outside, various little stores, including interesting bookstores, and the like. It's a pleasant stroll through the Sorbonne down to St. Michel and on to the river and then Notre Dame, after visiting the church, walking along the river bank and then through the tiny side streets. How many movies were filmed along this area, I have no idea. <BR> <BR>I have such good memories of the last time we were there.

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 06:12 AM
elvira

Hmmm... <BR> <BR>8th for window shopping (the couturiers all have their salons there) <BR> <BR>7th for shoe shopping and pretty streets for wandering and getting the 'feel of Paris <BR> <BR>16th for architecture and the French version of yuppies <BR> <BR>3rd and 4th for artisans, kosher food, great museums crammed into one small area <BR> <BR>20th for the 'villas', north African food, working class Paris, Pere Lachaise cemetery <BR> <BR>12th for 'aaah no tourists' <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 09:43 AM
Bob Brown

Bob, from Bob. I think Elvira knows Paris better than most of us because she has been there at least twice . <BR>(Or is that closer to 200?) <BR>At any rate, each Arrondissment is like a slightly different town. Granted, you cannot always tell when you pass from one to the other unless a sign or a map tells you. But given the variety and the strenghts of each, it all depends on which aspect of your visit you want to maximize. I think that the eastern areas are perhaps the least desirable from a tourist viewpoint, and the 16th is starting to get a little far out. <BR>But with the excellent Metro and bus system, anything within the circumferential highway is fairly easy to reach.

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 12:52 PM
Schuvy

7th, no question. <BR> <BR>Can anyone give me the phonetic pronunciation of "arrondisement?" <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 01:01 PM
vera

1er arrondisement. <BR>it's right in the middle on the city and close to all the other arrondisements you would want to visit. <BR>stay in the hotel De Ducs De Borgogne. <BR>the address is 19 Rue du Pont Neuf (the biggest bridge crossing over the Seine) <BR>

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 08:43 PM
Susan

For us, it's the 5th all the way. It's very casual & comfortable - with a short walk to Notre Dame et al - & to Rue Mouffetard for lots of restaurants (as well as a colorful market with lots of locals). We walk just about everywhere from the 5th.

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 08:46 PM
elvira

<BR>Schuvy: <BR>ah rawn deese mawn(swallow the 't')

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 03:24 AM
Bob

Thanx for all the great comments! <BR> <BR>Bob

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 11:45 AM
Jen

6th without a doubt - great restaurants right out your door - good base from which to see Paris! Bon voyage!

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 12:25 PM
Richard

8e, specifically Place de la Madeleine and our favorite well located inexpensive hotel. 4e, the Ile St.Louis and another great hotel and a fun restaurant and the overrated Berthillon ice cream, doesn't hold a candle to gelato.

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 03:39 PM
Austin

<BR>The 13th <BR> <BR>It is a totaly french neighborhood with very few tourists <BR>Great restaurants (Etchegoory) <BR>Beautiful art deco buildings <BR>The Place d Italie <BR>And very few decent hotels alas <BR> <BR>Yours truly. <BR>AHamel

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Sue

Topping

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 11:49 AM
kay

Elvira:<BR>Where in the 7th is good for shoes? I usually stay in the 7th and obviously should do more wandering around!<BR><BR>Kay

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 11:52 AM
jj

Austin<BR><BR>&quot;beautiful art deco buildings&quot; is a contradiction in terms isn't it? <BR><BR>Anyway, my picks would be:<BR>1) 5th or 6th<BR>2) 4th or 1st

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Sam

I like to stay in Passy, in the 16th. There are enough restaurants, not too many tourists, a few big supermarkets for snacks, and decent transportation. I don't know of any nearby museums, though. The mini statue of liberty and neat looking Radio France building is nearby.

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Tim

I really enjoyed staying in the Marais (3rd/4th), at a guidebook-famous place called Hotel Jean D'Arc. There's a lot of activity in the 3rd, it's centrally located, it's stylish and hip, it has the best falafel in the world, and it's a great base. As far as other locations, I liked the 6th a lot.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Alan

I'm thinking of heading back this winter and staying in a different area. I was going to start a thread asking this very question. Topping for others who may have more input.

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topping this old thread so I could add this recent article by Seattle Times travel writer Carol Pucci, who writes a number of articles each year about Paris.

Pucci is visiting with an American writer living in Paris named Harriet Welty Rochefort, who is the author of &quot;French Fried,&quot; which, she says is &quot;a book that takes a lighthearted look at the Franco-American culinary divide&quot; and, being one who prefers simple, inexpensive restaurants to pricey places, I liked this comment of Pucci's...

'Rochefort says that some of her most memorable meals have been in simple &quot;normal people's restaurants&quot; like this one [Au Rendez-Vous des Amisin]'

The above-mentioned restaurant is in an arrondissement which Pucci says is sometimes referred to as the &quot;Brooklyn of Paris&quot;? Do you know which one this is? I didn't.

&quot;Seeking and savoring good food in the convivial Brooklyn of Paris&quot;

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...ortex/display?
slug=pucci25&amp;date=20030525&amp;query=PUCCI
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great article; thanks for sharing! And no, I've never heard of the 20th being referred to as the &quot;Brooklyn of Paris&quot;.

BTW, I had to re-search for the article, because the site didn't recognize your URL. Maybe this one will work:

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...ry=pucci+paris

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -