Reload this Page >

Fav.DRINKS in Europe!

Search

Fav.DRINKS in Europe!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 10:39 AM
Sara DaVini

Fav.DRINKS in Europe!

I was just wondering what everyone's favorite drink was while in Europe. I know Scotland and Ireland are famous for their beers. I tried a few drinks in England that I loved. What are your favorite coctails, wines, beers, etc. that you've tried.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Jabba

I'm not much of a liquor drinker, but tried Genevere (sp?) in the Netherlands. Very smooth. Also, wine of course, in France. Was able to buy very nice table wines for approx. 3 us$/bottle, which would cost probably $10 per bottle here in the US. Also, beers in Germany (Bitburg,I think) and in London were fun. I really found it different but ultimately enjoyable to try the less cold and carbonated beers of the UK. <BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Jabba

Correction: the $3/bottles of wine were purchased in Belgium (but were of French origin). Also, Beers from Belgium were interesting and diverse. <BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 10:59 AM
liz

My first taste of Limoncella was on very hot day in August in Portovenere, and let me tell you, it was a religious experience for me!

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 12:11 PM
elaine

In France, as an aperitif <BR>I discovered a number of years ago <BR>Pineau de Charentes. It is sweet, is served cold. Liquor stores in the US (if that's where you are from) have it or can get it if you ask. <BR>In my home city a bottle costs about $13. <BR>In England I like Pimms, also available in the US. It is a drink made with Pimms #1 cup, slices of fruit and cucumber, and slub soda or ginger ale, I forget which. Refreshing on a hot day. <BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 12:12 PM
elaine

oops, I meant to type <BR>club soda

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Thyra

Screwdrivers at Harry's Bar in Venice made with Sicilian, Blood Red Oranges, fresh squeezed....OH MY GOSH!! Keep your Bellini's get me more of those things, I am kind of glad that I can get them here in LA... I know I'd drink them way too much. My husband's favorite drink beyond a doubt is Guiness all the time, but he claims it Tastes a whole lot better when consumed in Dublin...

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 12:26 PM
elvira

Guinness in Ireland - it tastes like what velvet feels like (and it IS better in Ireland or England than in the US) <BR>Do-it-yourself lemonade at a Paris cafe. <BR>Italian coffee - I mean the real stuff in the little cups, not the flavored after dinner coffee with Sambucca splashed in it. <BR>Kitron - a liqueur made from lemons on the island of Naxos; added to homemade lemonade, it's a glorious summer drink. <BR>Eau de vie in France - raspberry or peach <BR>Calvados - only if you have a strong constitution and you get a note from your doctor. <BR>Hooch - now, sadly, readily available in the U.S. More brain cells bite the dust. <BR>OK, not technically a drink, but the potlikker from a bucket of Belgian mussels. <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Beth Anderson

OK, my list, so far. <BR> <BR>seconds on Elvira's Guinness description. it's so true. <BR> <BR>Leffe - a Very Good Belgian beer. I like it even better than Guinness. <BR> <BR>Newcastle Brown Ale. also very smooth. <BR> <BR>(and I am not a beer drinker, by the way - so you KNOW the above are very good). <BR> <BR>The Calvados in Normandy was amazing. You could breathe fire afterwards though! <BR> <BR>any of the wines I have tasted in the Loire Valley. all of 'em. they were great. 'hic. gimme s'more. (they also make you even friendlier) <BR> <BR>coffee in Italy. so much better than that crap Starbucks sells. (as if I needed to say that). <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 02:01 PM
SharonM

Sangria in Spain, full of fruit... <BR>most local wines... <BR>dark beers

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Al

Dr. Al's favorite prescription for a hot day in Munich: radler in the Englishcher Garten. It's beer mixed with lemonade. Sounds awful but it is good! In England, a similar drink is a shandy.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 02:53 PM
wendy

Orangina Rouge!

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 03:28 PM
Sue

Cinzano (or Martini) Bianco (sweet white vermouth) on ice with a twist (or slice of lemon) makes a very refreshing summer aperatif! And then there's the old standby: a plain old kir (white wine w/splash of creme de cassis).

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 05:18 PM
sandi

Campari or Aperol with white wine and club soda..this is a "spritz" in Venice. I found the campari a bit too bitter but the Aperol was perfect. We brought a bottle home and I can't find it in the US.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 05:54 AM
Tracy

Une coupe de champagne. <BR> <BR>Otherwise, Leffe Blonde if the bubbles are off! <BR> <BR>Cheers y'all <BR>;-)

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 06:39 AM
Steve

Bellini at Hotel Monaco in Venice. <BR> <BR>Not sure which I enjoyed more, the Bellini or the view!!

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 06:43 AM
amg

We learned this past year that there are two different ways Sangria is served in Spain. One (which is like a wine cooler) - wine, fruit and juice and one which is made with brandy. Both are very good, but make sure you know which type you are drinking before you order the second pitcher. A fun night was had by all, but it was not a pretty sight ther next day. <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 08:05 AM
Greg

When in Spain in the early 80's, horchata (correct spelling?) was a popular drink, made of almonds and who knows what else. Is it still popular, and what exactly was in it?

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 08:21 AM
s.fowler

Orangina! It's so *french* <BR> <BR>In Macedonia I like the red wine called t'ga za jug [translation: "from the south" - the title of a poem written by a Macedonian living someplace in the frozen north I was told.] It is a GREAT pizza wine. [Which the Macedonians do well also] <BR> <BR>In bottled waters I revel in Pelesterka, also Macedonian -- a soft carbonated water I quaff by the tank-car load when I'm there.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 08:36 AM
Lori

Any red wine in France. The cheapest table wine is still better than some of the stuff you get in the US. <BR> <BR>Guinness in Ireland was a revelation as well. And so much better than here, that's because the water comes from the River Liffey (kidding, have you ever really looked at that river - yech!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -