Reload this Page >

Faro-Getting there from So. Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Mary Lynn

A friend and myself need to get to Faro from Southern Spain. Has anyone ever done this? Where from and what was your mode of transportation. This fete looks easy but it does not seem to be. HELP! Thank you.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 02:03 PM
phil

Rent a car and make the drive, its beautiful.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Patrick

Last summer our trip included some of Portugal and Faro, and from there we were going to Seville and other parts of southern Spain. After researching the rail and bus options, we gave up and rented a car. It really seemed to be the only logical way to get from one to the other.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Mary Lynn

Thanks so much for your reply. I am getting the courage again to rent a car. I keep vascillating back and forth between train and car. Would I be better off renting in Spain turning it in and travelling across the border and renting again or just paying the dropoff fee? What would you imagine the dropoff fee to be? Thanks to both of you.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Patrick

We rented through Auto Europe picking up in Bilbao and returning about three weeks later in Madrid. It was about $27 a day including full coverage and air conditioning. Go to the autoeurope web site and check out a couple of alternative plans for pick up and drop off and you can get actual quotes. If you end up not choosing them (but I think you likely will) you'll at least have a good starting point for prices, including drop off charges.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 01:08 PM
frank

No problem : get the bus (eg from Seville or Huelva) direct to Faro or - to Ayamonte then continue across the border & take the train from Villa Real (1 hour time difference at border-bus across bridge or ferry)Ayamonte is fun is you want to stay a night.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Rhonda

Mary Lynn, <BR> <BR>How long are you going for? We're doing a similar trip later this year and have chosen to lease a car. May be worthwhile looking into. Suggest looking at Driveaway and Eurodrive. They both have earlybird specials that finish end of March, so be quick. Both are on the net.